APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

So Now What For Those Of Us Who Need New Apple Hardware?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Glasser
So Now What For Those Of Us Who Need New Apple Hardware?
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:08:22 pm

For those of us who are using Apple-only tools for different clients/projects (FCP 7, X) either by choice or necessity, we obviously need to stay with Apple hardware. And let's assume that we need new Apple hardware now and we can't wait until 2013 to see if a new Mac Pro will rise.

What are the best options at this point for an all-around editing system? Do you go with a top of the line iMac, the new 15" Macbook pro with or without the retina display or something else?

My gut feeling is that the non-retina Macbook Pro 15" may be the best bet at this point. You keep the legacy ports and superdrive for those who need it. You can add 16 gig of RAM courtesy of Other World Computing. And you still get the Ivy Bridge internals.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: So Now What For Those Of Us Who Need New Apple Hardware?
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:24:21 pm

Frankly, given some of the issues that have been brought up with the Retina-display on a traditional laptop (along with all the 3rd party software that may or may not get updated), I think a non-Retina Mac is the best bet for workflows.

And there's no shame in saving a few bucks going with referb Macs either. You're not strictly limited to the brand new items that are purchasable at the moment from Apple's website.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:24:40 pm

Hi
I don't need portability.
The problem for me with using the 15" Unibody MBP is the lack of a PC Express slot and only one TB for everything else faster than FW/USB3.

What would suit me very nicely is the Retina MBP without its screen and battery in a Mac Mini form factor.
The two TB ports + HDMI + USB3 would be fine.

I'm wondering how much the RMBP top case +screen and bottom case + battery would make on the resale spares market? I could fit the guts I need in an old dead G5 tower case ;-)

The old style Unibody models are so close in price to the new RMBP to make them uncompetitive IMO.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:28:59 pm

Wait, iMacs may get Ivy Bridge soon.

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:20:22 am

[Steve Connor] "Wait, iMacs may get Ivy Bridge soon."

"Wait, iMacs will get Ivy Bridge in July."

Fixed that for you.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:57:34 pm

[Andrew Richards] ""Wait, iMacs will get Ivy Bridge in July."

Fixed that for you.
"

Thanks, if they also have new NVidia graphics then I think I might try one for a year or so!

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:48:06 pm

[Steve Connor] "Thanks, if they also have new NVidia graphics then I think I might try one for a year or so!"

That's just my guess, mind you. I figure they will do something with the Mac mini and iMac around the time they release Mountain Lion. I'd expect them to have much the same GPU options as the MacBooks just released- GeForce 650M for the iMac, perhaps with an option for more VRAM or a 670M. Intel HD4000 integrated GPU for the mini.

Just my educated guesses.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:29:00 pm

I got the most tricked out IMac. And it is serving me very well.

It makes FCPX a joy to use, and it is fast for what I do in AE. It is hooked up to a Matrox MX02, and the hdsdi is perfect. It plays back pretty much everything w/o rendering. But I still let it render in the bg.

I still have 2 older mpro's with AJA hardware and they still run fine with M100 and fcp7.

So I am all set for a year or two now. I really like the quiter smaller iMac ( it is the 27") but it is still much smaller than the aluminum monster and it's 12 drive promise raid that sounds like a jet departing and has to be banished to another room. I use a TB 6 TB raid and it is quiet and small but plenty fast enough for my work.

So if apple comes out with a new box in the next year or two, that is perfect for me. I expect it to be smaller quiter and faster, just like my iMac.

I still use my 2 year old mbp a lot. And I will probably replace that with a new mbp when I drop this one. It seems to happen every 3-4 years or so.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

andrew burke
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:42:49 pm

From my experience, the vast majority of Final Cut Pro seats are not installed on MacPros. In the last 10 years, I've witnessed about a 15:1 ratio of FCP on Laptop/iMac to FCP on the MacPro. Certainly the demographics are a bit different on this forum.

So for the majority of us, our options are good. The high-end iMac works very well for video editing. I've clocked most of my editing time on laptops since 2001 (heading into a traditional broadcast suite only for specific, large projects). The just-announced laptops looks nice to me. But I haven't used them.

Best,
Andrew

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:49:53 pm

If you do not require mobility and cannot wait another year or so, I suspect the iMac will be updated this fall. Don't know anything about the specs although I assume it will be "the fastest all-in-one we've ever built." Big question would be: will it have a retina screen? Doesn't seem possible given the size of the screen would be 5120x2880 pixels if they kept the 27" format. Perhaps a 21.5" or 24" retina screen is more likely this year. Certainly anyone who feels limited by the current 15" laptop screen may be more comfortable on the larger iMac screens. Downside is there's longer to wait with no guarantee you'll like what happens.

I think Apple is right to move everything to a retina display. It just seems once it's possible to do technically, it will become the de facto standard for many years. And now the ball is rolling on laptop computers after it started with the iPhone 4 and the iPod touch, it's going to be mainstream in desktops eventually. Apple wants the competitive edge of being seen as the leading edge facilitator of this transition. And professionals of all stripes that are in front of a screen too many hours a day will consider it a given that they utilize the best imaging technology

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 14, 2012 at 12:26:13 am

[Rick Lang] "And professionals of all stripes that are in front of a screen too many hours a day will consider it a given that they utilize the best imaging technology"

This resonates with me.

I'm pretty sure that during the live rollout one of the Apple guys noted that they've engineered the Retina display to have something like 75% of the reflectance of the prior glossy displays - positioning the new MBP-Retina significantly closer to the matte screen option then the glossy approach that color sensitive creative pros all hated.

I suspect that will make a BIG difference combined with the resolution boost.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:17:17 am

Bill Davis:
"they've engineered the Retina display to have something like 75% of the reflectance of the prior glossy displays - positioning the new MBP-Retina significantly closer to the matte screen option"

With the MacBook Pro Retina screen integrated (bonded) to the inside top panel, there's no need for a glass cover over the LCD. Apparently that glass cover accounted for most of the objectionable glossy screen effect. Brilliant solution and the blacks are apparently much deeper now, so much so that the screen was rated second on a long list of laptop screens for quality of the contrast.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:45:09 am

[Bill Davis] "I'm pretty sure that during the live rollout one of the Apple guys noted that they've engineered the Retina display to have something like 75% of the reflectance of the prior glossy displays - positioning the new MBP-Retina significantly closer to the matte screen option then the glossy approach that color sensitive creative pros all hated.

I suspect that will make a BIG difference combined with the resolution boost.
"

I'm sure hoping so. Of course, I want to see it first hand.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:39:47 am

[Chris Harlan] "I'm sure hoping so. Of course, I want to see it first hand."

I happened to be in an local Apple store yesterday the new MBP-retina store display unit had yet to arrive. So for the curious, call first if you want to see the new device in person.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jason Bernagozzi
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:13:48 pm

Well, don't spend money just yet. The Macbook Pro Retina laptops have a 3-4 week wait on them now. Supposedly after the report that iMacs and Mac Pros will get a refresh in 2013, supposedly the apple press relations staff corrected that it would be the mac pro in 2013, leading to speculation that the iMac will refresh when Mountain Lion ships in about 4 weeks

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/imac-update-might-be-coming-sooner-rath...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:52:57 pm

MacBook Pro 15'' with normal harddrive

Buy 256 SSD 3th party
16GB memory 3th party

Done.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:19:30 pm

[Paul Jay] "Buy 256 SSD 3th party
16GB memory 3th party"

Why would you buy third party SSD and RAM? Don't you know that Apple SSDs and RAM are a premium because they never go bad and are twice as fast as the competition?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:32:14 pm

[Gary Huff] "Why would you buy third party SSD and RAM? Don't you know that Apple SSDs and RAM are a premium because they never go bad and are twice as fast as the competition?
"

Just like the Mac Pros!

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jun 18, 2012 at 5:58:37 am

I'm gunna try and get another year from my 2008 iMac and MBP (selling my MacPro this week, it's useless in my solar-powered office). The other two run ML, but that's about as far as they will go, my bet. Perhaps in another year there will be more retina display options instead of inside a throwaway toaster. I'm all for buying machines that stay valid and last for at least 4 years...

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]