APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How is everyone doing?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
How is everyone doing?
on Jul 21, 2020 at 6:03:59 pm

I just came off my first production since February. It was grueling. Long, hot (really hot) 90+ degree, 100+ degree heat index, days in the sun, a little rain everyday, mud, sweat, and tears (from sunscreen in the eyes).

All masked up, all the time. Had COVID officers, temperature checks, tons and lots of hand sanitizer, and box lunches. We had actors, child actors, first time child actors, video, photography, and live streaming back to the client's home offices that worked most of the time, (but when it didn't work, it was very stressful). We had one client that flew in, and the rest were remote. The workflow was mostly good, but definitely took more time as comments get distilled through whoever is on the remote client conference call on set, so collaboration is more difficult as there are only a few people talking instead of everyone coming together and making it happen.

Yet, we survived. I hope we can do more like this.

What are you all doing out there?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: How is everyone doing?
on Jul 21, 2020 at 6:32:30 pm

Crossing fingers on an upcoming job (DoP and RED rental).
It seems to be the norm where I am.
The bigger projects have started but I have a day job that only allows me on smaller shoots (onset).
Talking to my MUA friend and she was saying that it may seem like they are serious about the PPE and Social Distancing but she feels it'll get laxed within a few days on the bigger sets.
I am hoping it doesn't fail since I pick up a lot of post stuff from those.

Great to hear you survived your first in awhile Jeremy :)

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jul 21, 2020 at 7:17:18 pm

I return to Major league baseball tomorrow and it will look very different. Doing a game in an empty stadium will be something I never imagined doing. Setting up today and seeing the emptiness, it's just a different world. We are going to do our best to try and bring a little bit of normalcy to the lives of some folks while we commit to safety and beating this thing so we can all get back and most importantly protect the most vulnerable among us.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 21, 2020 at 9:38:42 pm

[Tony West] "We are going to do our best to try and bring a little bit of normalcy to the lives of some folks while we commit to safety and beating this thing so we can all get back and most importantly protect the most vulnerable among us."

Great statement. I watched the A's v Giants last night and it was absolutely marvelous to see baseball back in action so thank you for your service to the game Tony.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
http://tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jul 22, 2020 at 12:46:21 am

Thank you Greg, be safe brother.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 22, 2020 at 9:58:09 am

Editing jobs have suddenly taken off. Mostly small, all remote, but still suddenly bubbling back to life. My feeling is there is a back-log of content for clients that needs to be created and has been put off for four months.

My teaching gig will be interesting when that starts up in three weeks. If I were a student and could skip this year, I certainly would.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 22, 2020 at 1:45:14 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "My teaching gig will be interesting when that starts up in three weeks. If I were a student and could skip this year, I certainly would.
"

I instruct an evening class at the local college and told it'll have to be done online this fall.
No word on how that's going to work especially with the students that can't afford a workstation.
Plus if I have to come up with a custom curriculum, I highly doubt they will pay me extra for that.
Times are changing and a lot of colleagues are not doing well up here in Canada.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 22, 2020 at 2:34:09 pm

just got back yesterday from Miami, downgrading a client's big post facility down to a dramatically smaller facility. Things are very slow for him, and he is doing what it takes to survive.

Things are slow. Except for my clients in D.C. who are gearing up to do all the political campaigns.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 22, 2020 at 9:41:39 pm

Oh how I remember political season in DC. When I was VP of Operations at a large media company in Arlington, politicals are what carried the company, off year and presidential. The consultants would book/buy 3 shifts months in advance. Staff would be on vacation blackout. Since we had both parties in, edit suite windows were blacked out and separate fax machines installed. You alienated your non-political clients because they could not get in and spend the next few months after the election trying to get them back. But the cash rolled in...and a bit of your soul died.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 22, 2020 at 10:39:48 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "But the cash rolled in...and a bit of your soul died."

Truer words have never been spoken!

I used to enjoy political work, but over the years it's gotten so nasty that I'm glad to be out of it. I'm glad I did (some) of it, though. It taught me to be fast, efficient, and how to leave my opinion at the door and keep my mouth shut!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jul 22, 2020 at 10:17:07 pm

Strangely, I've had to work harder during UK lockdown. Now that I'm old, I voluntarily teach video production for the U3A, where the students are older than those I taught after I left the BBC.
We had just recce'd a minature railway with a view to shooting some films for their website. It was going to be fun - small steam engines, kids riding round, signal boxes, whistles, ice creams - all good stuff. Then we couldn't.
The course ran fortnightly, and I chose to try to continue on Zoom. I asked how often the group wanted to meet - "Weekly", they voted. After all, what else were we doing? Therefore, each week, and we haven't had uni holidays, I have to dream up something new to inform and entertain ten people who aren't going out.
So - can you make an interesting film in your own home with just a phone and DaVinci Resolve? As it happens.........

Bernie

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 24, 2020 at 4:13:22 pm

[Eric Santiago] "No word on how that's going to work especially with the students that can't afford a workstation."

It's challenging for sure. We (VCU) is planning a modified in-person start in three weeks. Seriously. We are all convinced that we will be back all online at some point this fall (over/under at 4.5 weeks, I am taking the under).

Back in March, I was amazed at how well the students adapted. Most had FCPX on their home computers and some used iMovie or premiere. Great visual stories don't need a million dollar post-house. Good concept and creative problem-solving can go a long way. The difference was that I had them in person for 7 weeks and could teach them the basics. This fall, if my "under" bet holds, will be more of a challenge

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 24, 2020 at 12:22:16 pm

Just started learning the practicalities of using Zoom as a virtual control room as we shoot this season's cooking episodes in our various chef's homes with a 3 camera, 1 crew-person setup, that has been surprisingly rewarding while being predictably frustrating and exhausting. Apparently sitting in front of a Zoom screen for 10 hours a day is just like going to work.

When this, by which I mean the shoot, which ends in mid September, is over, I will probably write down some of my thoughts and observations about this process. Till then, I'm just happy baseball has started up again.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 24, 2020 at 4:24:15 pm

We've had a lot of attrition in the office lately, so we were down to two guys to cover my the entire state. Then my partner took the week off, so I *am* the video department - until he comes back, or the new hires and stringers get on board. So I hope nobody makes any kind of news for the next ten days or so...

Yesterday I pulled a 17-hour day, ten of it spent driving. I'm looking at a lot more of that coming up. Did that like three times last week. It wears you down. On the upside some of the OT paid for a new Fender Fullerton Jazzmaster Uke, now if only I have time and can stay awake to PLAY it... :-)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 24, 2020 at 4:32:06 pm

OK Mark -
I want to see a video like this, when you have the time -

at little more overtime, and you could have gotten this -

bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 24, 2020 at 5:49:35 pm

Bob, I only play 4 strings:-) Actually the next one on my wish list is either a Seagull electric uke or Eastman Archtop.

I have a youtube video up with the Jazzmaster right now but plan to take it down and improve it this weekend. The way the OT is gonna rack up the next couple weeks, the next decision might be the red Eastman... or the blue?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 24, 2020 at 6:22:32 pm

EXCELLENT sir - you just made my day.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 24, 2020 at 6:52:55 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jul 24, 2020 at 6:56:43 pm

That's high praise from a former KISS crew member, thanks. You missed my other band; BB Ross and the Happy Accidents. This was from a jam party: I had just taught them the song and this was all one unrehearsed take.

Last one, I promise (for today)... again, first take, they'd never heard the song before, I taught them the chord progression and let it rip.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 24, 2020 at 7:19:48 pm

Mark is my Ukulele Fairy Godfather or some such -- I'd been thinking that I might try learning the ukulele "someday", like when I retired. My father recently turned 82 and is nowhere near retirings, I started rethinking that.

It turns out that old dudes like me starting to learn ukulele during the pandemic is an actual thing, and Mark kept encouraging me to take the plunge. Videos like these were definitely part of it. Then one of the manufacturers I had on my list had a pandemic sale, and made me an offer that Mark insisted I couldn't refuse. LOL Hence the Godfather reference.

I'm only a few weeks in, and have toddler-level skills, which means that my video debut playing my uke is somewhere around the time that Mulan will hit theaters LOL but sometime before then, we are DEFINITELY going to open a forum for the musical instruments that we play for fun.

Thanks for posting these here, Mark and Bob!

Now Zelin, where's YOUR videos?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 25, 2020 at 1:02:56 am

there is very special, and very unpopular music, that is shared between myself and the Lindebooms.
You don't have to "get it" - but it's very special to very special people. And it's deep rooted into Creative Cow.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jul 27, 2020 at 9:39:33 pm

Wow, Bob, it's always nice to see Strawbs surface, however awkward in its surfacing. :o)

This album will always be special to me because it was a big album in my life when my first-born was doing his own bit of surfacing in the world. It became even more special when Kathlyn and I got to work with Strawbs on a couple of albums back in 2004 and 2005.

Thank you for a walk down memory lane. I have always adored the "Hero & Heroine" album. John Hawken, their keyboardist, told me the story of the real French black swan-quilled hammer harpsichord used in the song. It had been hand made and the man who had made it was incensed when he learned that the record company had rented it for use in a rock song. He showed up outrage at the studio and wanted it back immediately. It was then that John started playing some Mozart pieces and the instrument's creator started to calm down. When John showed him what he intended to play on "Hero and Heroine," the man finally acquiesced to having his genuine 17th Century-modeled black swan quilled hammered harpsichord used by a rock band.

As a keyboard player, Bob, I know you'll appreciate the story.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 26, 2020 at 2:23:10 am

Bob, I only play 4 strings:-) Actually the next one on my wish list is either a Seagull electric uke or Eastman Archtop.

I have a youtube video up with the Jazzmaster right now and it is here:

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jul 27, 2020 at 10:02:29 pm

Mark is simply cooler than just about anyone else in the COW.

When I first heard him play "Something," I was blown away by how good he is. I am sure that it is his version that is keeping George Harrison from spinning in his grave from the many who try to play it but are wholly unworthy.

So, Mark, thank you for keeping things peaceful in George's final resting place. I am sure he appreciates it.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 28, 2020 at 1:17:11 am

That's high praise, thanks Ron. I have to admit, while I think I can sing a little, I'm the worst player by far in my club AND my bands, I can't pick yet for beans - but my secret is, I surround myself with the ukulele equivalent of The Wrecking Crew, and THEY make me sound better.

The lead on our cover of "Something, is my Friend and bandmate Roger; I'm playing rhythm, there's a U-bass and 2-3 other soprano ukes also strumming rhythm and singing background harmonies. That was recorded on just an iPhone on my music stand - I had a good feeling about the song after one warm-up take, and I caught lightning in a bottle. The others at the party had no idea until after I played it back.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2020 at 9:14:30 pm

OK - I just watched Mark doing Boogie Nights by Heatwave
here is my political statement for today on Creative Cow - I am sure that none of this will surprise you.

I don't care if you are black, white, latin, asian, indian, or arabic - I hate you.
BUT - if you are an editor or graphics person, or audio person - you are ok.

AND if you are a MUSICIAN - well, I don't care if you are from Mars - you are OK in my book, and I will hang out with you and drink with you (and give you all my money). Musicians lives matter !

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 28, 2020 at 9:46:58 pm

I'll buy your drinks Bob; you can pay me back with BTS stories:-)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 28, 2020 at 9:50:24 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I just watched Mark doing Boogie Nights by Heatwave"

You and Mark call it Boogie Nights? I call it Suszko Inferno!

[Bob Zelin] "AND if you are a MUSICIAN - well, I don't care if you are from Mars - you are OK in my book"

No kidding, there is coming to the COW a handful non-production oriented forums, and one talking about our lives as people who play (around with) music is definitely on the list.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 27, 2020 at 10:08:55 pm

Thankfully work hasn't stopped for me. We had enough "in the can," and multiple series, to keep a bulk of the editors going. We did have to cut back the workforce at the company for a bit in order to do that, which does sadden me. I'm lucky to be one of the ones who was kept on. SO yes, that did extend our edit times on shows, but kept people working. And working REMOTELY...since March 20.

Production did start on one series, as they shoot in a country with very low numbers, and cast members did quarantine for 3 weeks to enable this....and precautions are still being taken. But we are back up and at least running on a couple shows. I'm glad I have a home office that allows me to log into my work station, and a good software option on the Mac (Spashtop Business) to enable us to edit remotely with very little latency.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2020 at 4:20:39 pm

Splashtop is a great remote access system. Certainly cheaper than RGS or Teradici (and yes, I know it's not as robust). It's nice when you can select multiple computers in the facility.

but of course, it's the same old problem - getting NEW MEDIA loaded into the companies servers. Someone has to show up at the company to do that, so you can work, with something like Splashtop.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Annefelt
on Jul 30, 2020 at 12:00:13 am

Freelance working for Viacom CBC from home since early March
On the countryside since late June.
Work never stopped. Guess I’m lucky.
Also - Sweden has a bitchin’ back bone so where ever I go I can suck down material and upload with fibre at no time. But still work local.
Really enjoy not working in an open office space.
Find myself much more productive.

.:::D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]