APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

BMD Camera Update

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
BMD Camera Update
on Jul 16, 2020 at 4:26:23 pm

Blackmagic Design is at it again with a 12K camera! That is not a typo. Of course, there are good announcements in the video.

I am an Avid fan of making the Final Cut on Resolve so the video will not be boring.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: BMD Camera Update
on Jul 16, 2020 at 4:43:02 pm

12K Ursa for under $10,000!!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursaminipro

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 16, 2020 at 4:44:32 pm

My quick notes here from watching the conference:

BMD camera press conference announcements - notes

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursaminipro

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursaminipro/accessories...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

UltraStudio Monitor and Recorder now TB3 and supports Rec2020

Updated 5” and 7” video assists (monitor/recorder)

Ursa Mini Pro now a 12K camera using their own sensor design (not Bayer). According to Grant - focused on high-end “film” production and optimized for BMD RAW and Resolve pipeline.

Sensor is Super 35 with 14 stops. Uses equal number of RGB photosites as opposed to 4-2-2 Bayer design. 12K in order to get good 8K. You can scale (in-camera setting) from 12K to 8K to 4K without cropping sensor. Up to 110fps full sensor at 4K.

Demoed Multicam of 9 x 12K BRAW streams in Resolve on a 2019 Mac Pro

New “Generation 5” color science with new film curve optimized for BRAW. Improved skin tones.

Resolve public beta on site with 12K support.

Also on-board piggyback recorder for 12K camera. (Blackmagic Ursa Mini Recorder)

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 16, 2020 at 7:31:14 pm

Thanks for the summary; it's useful to have the key points in one place.

Also worth noting that Grant said the Ursa serves as their test platform for new technologies, implying that things developed on the Ursa will trickle down to new smaller cameras eventually.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 16, 2020 at 9:27:41 pm

I've just ordered one. I know I will have to wait in line behind 'high end DP's'. The only info not given in Grant's usual daggy dad demo was native ISO.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 16, 2020 at 9:29:56 pm

And Resolve 16.3 beta is now available. The BRAW developments are pretty amazing and the performance playback on Macs is also impressive. Grant says Metal has helped that.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 16, 2020 at 9:49:14 pm

Wow, that's going to be a great camera, congratulations.

Native ISO is 800 according to John Brawley (who knows, because he's used it): https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117834#p648209

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 16, 2020 at 9:54:13 pm

[Brad Hurley] "Native ISO is 800 according to John Brawley"

Yes I just read that from John B. Same as my old Mini 4.6. The camera will be very low noise and without patterning so I bet it can be pushed to ISO 3200 without issue.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 16, 2020 at 9:57:42 pm

In relation to FCPX, the significant issue with this camera is also the performance of BRAW. I hope Apple are looking at how BRAW is developing and the petty (see what I did there) RAW wars will not continue. I want to see BRAW and ProResRAW available in FCPX and Resolve

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jul 17, 2020 at 12:38:14 am

There is no prores over 4k even prores raw. So i think bmd has the leverage for this one.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 17, 2020 at 12:55:05 am

[Ricardo Marty] "There is no prores over 4k even prores raw."

Huh? ProRes is resolution-independent. Do you mean no camera that records ProRes is recording the signal larger than 4K?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 17, 2020 at 3:15:25 am

[Ricardo Marty] "There is no prores over 4k even prores raw. So i think bmd has the leverage for this one."

Here is 8k ProRes from a RED camera:

Here is 8k ProRes (internally recorded) from a Kinefinity MAVO:

The ARRI Alexa can technically record internal ProRes above DCI 4k, since it can go to 4448 x 3096 (open gate).

You likely won't see any of these other cameras record BRAW since that is a camera-specific codec. ProRes (including RAW) is camera-independent, which is why many cameras and recorders from various companies use it.

BMD has published an SDK to allow *decoding* BRAW. That SDK includes compiled binaries that are essentially a "black box". I don't think they have published any info about how to *encode* BRAW which means nobody but BMD can do that. This differs from ProRes, where anybody with a license can encode it. It would seem until this changes that BRAW will be limited to BMD hardware, whereas ProRes (inc'l RAW) is hardware and manufacturer independent.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 17, 2020 at 4:36:22 am

[Joe Marler] "I don't think they have published any info about how to *encode* BRAW which means nobody but BMD can do that."

I would be surprised if they gave encode away for free. Maybe BM are open to licensing it to other camera people but who would use it. RED have their own as does Arri. Maybe Canon now they are recording internal 8K. It might make their cameras run cooler and give longer record times.

ProResRAW isn't free either and they have limited acquisition to Atomos. So same problem. What is baffling is that Apple won't include the free BRAW decode in FCPX. Equally baffling is that BM won't license ProResRAW for Resolve. So far I've not seen any ProResRAW in productions I've worked on. Plenty of BRAW however so that problem is yet to manifest itself for me.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 17, 2020 at 9:53:58 am

"What is baffling is that Apple won't include the free BRAW decode in FCPX. Equally baffling is that BM won't license ProResRAW for Resolve. So far I've not seen any ProResRAW in productions I've worked on. Plenty of BRAW however so that problem is yet to manifest itself for me."

At some point last year on BMD's DaVinci Resolve forum, someone from BMD explained that it's up to Apple to add BRAW support to FCPX and if enough people don't demand it, it won't happen. A lot of people have been asking BMD to make BRAW available in FCPX, but they're asking the wrong party (according to BMD). They need to take it up with Apple.

As for ProRes Raw in Resolve, I suspect Apple sees ProRes Raw as a selling point for Final Cut (and by extension Macs), so there's not much incentive for them to make it available to competing NLEs...especially competing NLEs that work on Windows as well as Mac. The Atomos recorders can now record ProRes Raw from a growing number of cameras (from Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji, Sigma, and possibly Sony when the new A7s iii is announced later this month), so we might start to see more use of it. Apple published a white paper in January with several alternative workflows for ProRes Raw in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 17, 2020 at 12:49:43 pm

[Michael Gissing] "ProResRAW isn't free either and they have limited acquisition to Atomos"

I've sort of changed my thoughts on what Apple may be doing with ProRes RAW. I think their motivations for ProRes RAW is different than RED or BMD.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2020/07/10/time-to-rethink-prores-raw/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 17, 2020 at 3:01:28 pm

Oliver -- great article on ProRes Raw, but you should add Blackmagic Design to the list of camera manufacturers that record ProRes internally -- they've offered ProRes since at least 2013, maybe earlier, on all their cameras. I have the original Pocket Cinema Camera (circa 2013), which records several flavors of ProRes in addition to CDNG raw.

I'm referring to this bit in your blog post:

"Despite ARRI’s success, only a few other camera manufacturers have adopted ProRes as an internal recording option. To my knowledge these include AJA, JVC, and RED (as a secondary file to REDCODE)."

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 17, 2020 at 3:21:50 pm

[Brad Hurley] "but you should add Blackmagic Design to the list of camera manufacturers that record ProRes internally"

Thanks. Will do.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 17, 2020 at 3:42:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Brad Hurley] "but you should add Blackmagic Design to the list of camera manufacturers that record ProRes internally"

Thanks. Will do."

Although I'd read the 12K doesn't record Prores internally?

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 17, 2020 at 3:53:40 pm

"Although I'd read the 12K doesn't record Prores internally?"

That's true! Although the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K does, as do all the other currently available BMD cameras.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 17, 2020 at 7:01:01 pm

Overall, forget about the RAW. What's really interesting is that BMD has deviated from the "off-the-shelf" Bayer-pattern sensor design. Most of the other cameras use a design with 50% green-filtered photosites and then 25% for each red and blue. BMD has opted to go equal numbers of photosites for RGB light. That's pretty cool.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2020 at 12:08:35 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Jul 20, 2020 at 12:20:14 pm

[Oliver Peters]"Overall, forget about the RAW. What's really interesting is that BMD has deviated from the "off-the-shelf" Bayer-pattern sensor design."

BRAW is actually an integral part of the equation. It is the development of this sensor that has been part of the BRAW story. The two are inseparable which is why this new camera only records BRAW. BM see the codec as making such res possible. Imagine a 12k DNx or ProRes? It's clear to me that BRAW is the key to this camera and the new sensor.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2020 at 12:13:33 pm

[Steve Connor] "Although I'd read the 12K doesn't record Prores internally?"

Since being able to record BRAW in my BMpocket4k, I have not once considered using the onboard ProRes. There is a very good reason BRAW is the only codec on the 12k. It's actually the only codec that makes sense. ProRes can't record above 8k and the file size for a 10 bit file is larger and far less useful in post. If it was on the 12k I have just ordered, I am sure I would never use it. No point in paying Apple a license for a codec that no longer has any need in acquisition.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 17, 2020 at 1:59:18 pm

[Michael Gissing] "ProResRAW isn't free either and they have limited acquisition to Atomos. So same problem"

Re FCPX supporting BRAW, why this is any different than RED RAW and Canon cRAW. In both cases RED and Canon have written plugins which add this support to FCPX. Why can't BMD write a similar plugin to enable BRAW support in FCPX like RED and Canon did for their raw formats? You download that code from the manufacturer's web site (who developed and supports it), not from Apple.

Re Resolve supporting ProRes RAW, I'm sure BMD could license it, write the code and include this in Resolve if they wanted to. Adobe supports ProRes RAW in Premiere right now.

Re how widespread BRAW is vs ProRes RAW and the future outlook, currently BRAW is supported on BMD cameras plus the C300II and EVA-1 if you get the BMD Video Assist 12G.

ProRes RAW is not tied to any camera manufacturer and is currently supported on about 12-15 cameras via Atomos, and Atomos claims it will be supported on 30 cameras by end of this year. Currently (or imminently)-supported cameras: Nikon Z6/7, Sony FS5, FS5II, FS7, FS7II, FX9, Canon C300II, C500, C700, Panasonic EVA-1, S1H, Varicam 35, Varicam LT, Z CAM E2, DJI X7.

The Kinefinity MAVO Edge will support internal ProRes RAW, not using Atomos. I don't know how they deal with the RED patent. The DJI X7 seems to side-step the issue since technically it is not internal to the camera but integrated into the Inspire2 airframe SSD package.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 18, 2020 at 8:56:49 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jul 18, 2020 at 9:22:01 pm

I played around with a few of the 12K clips today. Resolve doesn’t see them at all. I suppose you have to go with the beta instead of the current version for now. I did install the beta of their BRAW support, so Premiere does see the files and the RAW controls do work. However, brutally slow. This was on a mid-tier iMac Pro and Promise RAID. So unusable at the moment unless you have a very beefy Mac Pro or PC. Maybe the Resolve beta is better.

OTOH - the BMD RAW Player app does play these files nicely even on my older MBP and a USB 3 drive. So that would lead me to believe performance will improve once it's all tweaked.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 19, 2020 at 11:21:11 am

[Oliver Peters] "So unusable at the moment unless you have a very beefy Mac Pro or PC. Maybe the Resolve beta is better."

I get full resolution, full frame rate on my iMac with 8GB Graphics card using the Beta and a USBc SSD drive, even after adding a few nodes of correction so it's probably only unsuable if you don't run the beta

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 19, 2020 at 2:29:24 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jul 19, 2020 at 2:33:29 pm

[Steve Connor] "so it's probably only unsuable if you don't run the beta"

Yes, that sounds correct. The clips did play well on my older MBP using the Blackmagic RAW Player app, which is likely not tapping into the full quality de-Bayer resolution. The current release version of Resolve (not the beta) won't recognize the clips. Premiere was super-slow, even with the beta RAW support software installed. However, I would imagine it will take an Adobe update before that's better optimized.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2020 at 12:02:05 pm

Oliver, so far the beta Mac version of Resolve is designed to play the BRAW 2.0 files from the new camera.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2020 at 12:00:44 pm

[Joe Marler] "Why can't BMD write a similar plugin to enable BRAW support in FCPX like RED and Canon did for their raw formats?"

They have published their SDK from day one and so Pr can play BRAW. It's not BM's job to write a plugin for FCPX. The SDK is published and free. BM are not in the business of writing plugins for lazy NLE software companies. Either Apple do the job or it's up to any third party who make a buck out of Apples laziness to develop their software properly. Do you expect BM to also write a plugin so Apple can export an AAF to DAWs?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 19, 2020 at 12:20:30 am

[Michael Gissing] "In relation to FCPX, the significant issue with this camera is also the performance of BRAW. I hope Apple are looking at how BRAW is developing and the petty (see what I did there) RAW wars will not continue. I want to see BRAW and ProResRAW available in FCPX and Resolve"

Was on a Zoomchat meeting this morning watching Steve Bayes (former Product Manager for FCP X) and while he was CRYSTAL CLEAR that since retiring a few years back he knows NOTHING about any plans or status for anything like BMRaw coming to FCP X — he did GENERALLY note that one "factor" in any codec coming to a platform is the resources it takes to support an outside codec once it becomes an official part of different companies offerings. It's apparently not a trivial thing. He mentioned that's why Apple leaves, for example, Canon MXF Codecs as something for Canon to develop and maintain.

The support burden requirements then fall to Canon to cover.

Same with RED stuff. (tho I understand that's partially because RED didn't want to disclose some of their codec secrets as well, so there desire to keep things "in house" was even stronger.)

Imagine the extra support load Apple would face in training, phone support and general troubleshooting if they folded BRAW into the official Apple portfolio of supported products?

Just food for thought.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 19, 2020 at 2:33:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "it takes to support an outside codec once it becomes an official part of different companies offerings. It's apparently not a trivial thing. He mentioned that's why Apple leaves, for example, Canon MXF Codecs as something for Canon to develop and maintain."

All true, yet somehow Adobe, Avid, and others manage to accomplish this even without the advantage of having control of the supporting video framework within the OS itself.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2020 at 12:05:34 pm

[Bill Davis] "one "factor" in any codec coming to a platform is the resources it takes to support an outside codec once it becomes an official part of different companies offerings. It's apparently not a trivial thing. He mentioned that's why Apple leaves, for example, Canon MXF Codecs as something for Canon to develop and maintain. "

Yes Apple is unlike other NLEs in that it leaves codec and interchange support up to others. It's lazy and indicative of an attitude that makes people like me unimpressed. If Resolve or Pr had the same attitude, collaborative workflows would be a nightmare with FCPX. Lucky for Apple others have picked up and made money from their slack.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 20, 2020 at 12:28:44 pm

12k. I can see my clients needing that tomorrow. Not really....

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2020 at 1:11:51 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Jul 20, 2020 at 1:12:10 pm

[Scot Witthaus]" 12k. I can see my clients needing that tomorrow. Not really...."

Neither I or my clients want 12k. I've ordered the camera however because that's not the point.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 20, 2020 at 3:44:14 pm

John Brawley wrote a pretty insightful blog post about what he sees as "the point" of this camera: https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2020/07/16/it-goes-to-12k/

Lots of useful info here.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 30, 2020 at 5:33:15 pm

CML Zoom discussed from yesterday about this camera.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 31, 2020 at 1:58:51 am

Interesting discussion thanks Oliver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]