APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Is FCPX on iOS pointless?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Is FCPX on iOS pointless?
on Jul 14, 2020 at 12:55:51 pm

If you look at LumaFusion 2.3, it would seem like LumaTouch has long since beaten Apple to the punch. I'm not sure what FCPX would bring to the table on an iPad.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Is FCPX on iOS pointless?
on Jul 14, 2020 at 1:48:48 pm

Interesting that the opposite will soon be possible. With Big Sur on Apple Silicon, LumaFusion will run on Macs. It would seem that LumaFusion may become an alternative to FCPX over time.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 14, 2020 at 7:41:29 pm

Some more comments here:

https://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2289-lumafusion-updated-to-v2-3-n...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 15, 2020 at 1:14:45 pm
Last Edited By Joe Marler on Jul 15, 2020 at 1:17:17 pm

[Craig Seeman] " With Big Sur on Apple Silicon, LumaFusion will run on Macs. It would seem that LumaFusion may become an alternative to FCPX over time..."

Besides this, it is likely some smaller Apple Silicon MacBooks will be roughly the size and weight of a 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard. They will probably have greatly improved battery life vs any previous x86 MacBook. In essence you will have an iPad-size package except it will run MacOS and real FCPX, not some watered-down future version crammed into iOS.

And as you said that Apple Silicon MacBook will *also* run LumaFusion and all other iOS apps without alteration.

Plus it will be straightforward for developers of high-end iPad apps like LumaFusion to use XCode tools to rapidly tailor those iPad apps for the MacOS environment. This was shown during the last WWDC.

Oliver's question might also include: "Is iMovie on MacOS pointless?" A tailored MacOS version of LumaFusion for Apple Silicon could easily be produced, largely maintain source code commonality with the iOS version, and would have far greater capability than iMovie. LumaFusion is certainly on a much more rapid development track than iMovie.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 15, 2020 at 1:25:36 pm

[Joe Marler] "A tailored MacOS version of LumaFusion for Apple Silicon could easily be produced, largely maintain source code commonality with the iOS version, and would have far greater capability than iMovie."

Along those lines, there's also Adobe Rush, with both iPadOS and desktop versions. Seems those could also be brought into direct alignment.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 19, 2020 at 12:05:08 am

Small thinking to my mind.

What makes editing in X, editing in X isn't really just timeline behaviors. Because for me, the storyline is simply where the rest of the efficiency enabling technologies in X REPORT their data for assembly. It's an important part of the assembly process, of course, but for me ONLY insofar as it give expression to the organization I've done in the browser, the Prep I've done to my assets BEFORE the browser, and the metadata management the FCP X tools allow me to use before my first clip ever hits a storyline.

The entire reason I'm regularly getting projects that used to take multiple days done in hours isn't exclusively because my storyline assembly practices are wildly more efficient (tho they often are) but because by the time I'm assembling, exporting rough cuts and getting into client approval loops so much other time-wasting distraction has been driven out of my workflow by my new prep habits.

Until LumaFusion (or anything else running on iOS or even MacOS optimized for Apple Silicon) has THOSE toolsets available to me - there's always going to be a place for the one tool that already has all those features in spades — FCP X.

Now, if any of those processes can be "sidecar'd" onto outboard devices or even moved to the cloud - I'd say BRING IT ON. I'd love to see LumaFusion become a better feeder world for my X storylines.

But as an editorial replacement, Pffff.

No need to fix what isn't broken - and I'm already getting work done at Ferarri like speeds on my laptop at home.

Just my view.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 19, 2020 at 12:35:05 am

[Bill Davis] "Because for me, the storyline is simply where the rest of the efficiency enabling technologies in X REPORT their data for assembly."

I would suggest that this workflow - in the amount you talk about utilizing it - would be only be common to a minority of editors, particularly those who cut with X. ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jul 14, 2020 at 8:56:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I'm not sure what FCPX would bring to the table on an iPad."

I'm not sure why anyone would want to edit on an iPad if they had a laptop. Seems cumbersome to me.

If you liked X and and wanted to edit on an iPad what's the upside to switching to that software?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 15, 2020 at 1:22:58 pm

[Tony West] "I'm not sure why anyone would want to edit on an iPad if they had a laptop."

I would tend to agree, but not everyone owns a laptop. There are quite a few people who have a desktop for home/office and a tablet for when they are away from that system. A decked out iPad Pro is cheaper than a MacBook Pro. Battery life is also better with an iPad Pro. Then there's the touch/Pencil interface, which some will prefer.

Another example is Dan Lebental's TouchEdit app. He's a noted feature film editor who primarily uses Media Composer, which runs perfectly fine on a laptop. Yet he decided to develop an iPad app that he would use when away from his standard system. Unfortunately development lagged and LumaFusion has become the better (known as well as functional) NLE.

I guess it's the same sort of question as, "Why would anyone shoot photos and videos with an iPhone when they could do it with a 'real' camera?" Preference and horses for courses.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jul 15, 2020 at 2:40:32 pm

[Oliver Peters] "There are quite a few people who have a desktop for home/office and a tablet for when they are away "

Yes, I could see prepping my footage on an iPad on the plane on the way back but I would want to prep in the the app that matched the NLE I was going to finish in. If I'm going to finish in X I would use X on the pad. I guess what I'm asking is, what is the advantage of using LumaFusion to prep if I'm going to finish in X? Or any other NLE to finish?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 15, 2020 at 3:08:47 pm

[Tony West] "I guess what I'm asking is, what is the advantage of using LumaFusion to prep if I'm going to finish in X? Or any other NLE to finish?"

Since there is an FCPXML interchange path, you could start in LF and finish in FCPX. Of course, if there were an iPadOS version of FCPX, then it becomes a toss-up. There are some nice features in LF, FWIW. The add'l mini-timeline and an audio mixer are nice features that FCPX lacks.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 16, 2020 at 1:51:52 pm

I agree with Tony and I want to avoid FCPXML interchange if at all possible. I am hoping for an iPad version of FCPX for my work and for students.

Scott

Return to posts index

Timothy Dewey
on Jul 16, 2020 at 5:53:19 pm

To add to what you said, it's a really great offline editor for Final Cut Pro X if you're on the go. With some time for preparation, and making sure the filenames are the same, you can take the higher res footage and use compressor to shrink the resolution down to 540 with burned in timecode. Afterwards, you could place the offline footage on an ixpand drive, and import them into Lumafusion to setup an edit. Once done, you can send off the XML to Final Cut Pro X, and relink the higher res footage back ☺

Only downside is since Lumafusion doesn't currently have an xml import, it's only a one time go with each timeline/sequence. I've also read people claiming the xml will also work for Resolve.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 15, 2020 at 3:12:49 pm

[Tony West] "I could see prepping my footage on an iPad on the plane on the way back but I would want to prep in the the app that matched the NLE I was going to finish in."

What if the Apple Silicon MacBook was the same size and weight as an 12.9" iPad Pro + keyboard, had 2TB SSD, faster GPU, all-day battery life, plus had actual Thunderbolt ports and ran FCPX (plus all iOS apps)? It's not out of the question something like that could be released this year.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jul 15, 2020 at 5:01:55 pm

[Joe Marler] "What if the Apple Silicon MacBook was the same size and weight as an 12.9" iPad Pro + keyboard, had 2TB SSD, faster GPU,"

Yes, I personally would rather use that any day of the week.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 16, 2020 at 2:26:19 pm

Wouldn’t the better question be would LumaFusion be pointless? Especially if the iOS version comes with the FCPX version.

But the benefits could be, beyond the portability and work by the pool aspect, similar to GarageBand. GarageBand benefits from the touch interface when you need to record drums or piano or guitar as you can virtually play them directly on the screen with an interface that’s not on their MacOS counterparts. Using the pencil to draw paths, or your finger to ride role based audio sliders.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 16, 2020 at 2:57:15 pm

"Wouldn’t the better question be would LumaFusion be pointless? Especially if the iOS version comes with the FCPX version."

That's a hypothetical based on a product that doesn't exist. My question was whether it would be pointless for Apple to even develop FCPX for iPadOS at all.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 16, 2020 at 7:34:45 pm

True, but aren't you're asking a hypothetical question about a hypothetical product that doesn't exist? How am I supposed to answer? I'm assuming FCPX will benefit from the touch interface in ways that other iPad apps also differ from their desktop counterparts. Seems logical. So with that in mind, I'm taking the question to the next logical hypothetical and asking if LumaFusion would be able to survive. It's filling a specific void that Apple has left. If Apple fills that void, Lumafusion would perhaps cease to be viable like so many others before them.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 16, 2020 at 10:40:38 pm

[Bret Williams] "True, but aren't you're asking a hypothetical question about a hypothetical product that doesn't exist?"

I suppose that's true. I guess I was coming at it from the point of why should Apple even bother to develop it for the iPad.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 16, 2020 at 10:56:09 pm

Because they're a hardware company and it would sell more iPad Pros? They don't make any money selling software. Well, their own software at least.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]