APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Apple WWDC 2020

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Apple WWDC 2020
on Jun 9, 2020 at 2:52:23 pm

If you want to keep up on WWDC - June 22

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc20/

https://developer.apple.com/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Apple WWDC 2020
on Jun 10, 2020 at 1:13:50 am

Of all the virtual events out there, I'm most interested in how Apple is going to handle WWDC. While none of the WWDC shows have been quite as zippy as the old MacWorld shows (which Steve quit doing because mostly because the adulation was getting out of control even for him LOL), Apple has always put on a pretty good show....and pretty much EVERY virtual event so far has been the OPPOSITE of a pretty good show.

(I may start another thread on this topic. It's really been bugging me.)

For example, I'm guessing that the keynote isn't going to be from Timmy Cook's dining room table where he's backlit from the living room window and the cats are knocking vases off the bookshelf. Although I'd pay ALL the money to see that.

But I really, really want to see what they're doing for the production itself. Maybe they're still gonna do it on a big stage. I have no idea. I certainly don't think that when Apple announced in March that they'd be taking this online that COVID cases in California would still be rising in June.

(Not intended as a shot at Cali, or a political statement at all. Just a fact. Cases are still going up in Texas, Florida, Tennessee, and the Carolinas, too.)

I know that developers have always treasured rubbing elbows with Apple folks, and I'm sure that the feeling was at least mildly mutual. LOL Kidding aside, meeting with customers and developer partners was always my favorite part of being a corporate weasel.

I know that Zoom isn't the same thing as meeting someone in person, but you know what? It's not NOT the same, either. This was something that Post Production World absolutely nailed. Did any of you attend that? The sessions were fine, but the "after hours" mixers were fantastic. I definitely want to host some of these in the COW down the road.

(Not now, ffs. I can't stand how much Zooming I'm doing already. My primary coping mechanism is turning off my own view of myself. I don't mind other people looking at me for an hour here or there, but I don't need to spend hour after hour, day after day looking at myself. Nobody needs to see that much of me. LOL

And I don't think that we've really reckoned with the psychological toll of staring at ourselves on Zoom calls. We as a species weren't designed to spend so much time looking at ourselves, which is the seed of toxicity at the heart of all social media -- and I say that as someone who enjoys Instagram a lot.)

I really liked this coverage at Apple Insider, What To Expect at WWDC 2020 -- And What Not To.

Looking at articles like this, I'm always struck by how much of it I don't care about. LOL Nothing personal to anybody who does of course. Plenty of folks are feeding their babies with the Apple Watch apps they develop, and bless them every one. And I do get the need to rally the developer community, and inform them about big changes that are coming, but I miss the user-facing stuff too.

Anyway, if anybody can manage to put on a good virtual show, I'd hope it would be Apple. I'll definitely be poking my nose in just to see how it looks from a production perspective.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 10, 2020 at 2:18:58 pm

for the last several years, Grant Petty has been putting on a "virtual presentation" in his lab with all the equipment. Apple could do the same - but I guess they like all the big "hoopla" associated with the big stage and big screen. And of course - "we" don't care about the watches, phones, smart speaker, etc. "We" want to see the next gen MB Pros with WiFi6 (if that even materializes). "We want to see new iMac's, Mac Minis, and (dare I say it) development of the Mac Pro. But I know that in the big picture of things - these are all very unimportant to the bottom line of Apple. Does the typical college student buying a MacBook Pro really care about WiFi 6 ?

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 10, 2020 at 4:02:01 pm

[Tim Wilson] "and pretty much EVERY virtual event so far has been the OPPOSITE of a pretty good show."

Very true, I've looked in on quite a few and I've haven't been impressed with ANY of them.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 10, 2020 at 9:26:53 pm

[Steve Connor] "Very true, I've looked in on quite a few and I've haven't been impressed with ANY of them"

Professor Zelin is right to bring up Grant Petty in this context, though! I absolutely adore those webcasts of his! Endearingly low tech in some ways, but rock solid and very entertaining. Even though I don't "cover" these as part of my job at the COW, I watch them because I enjoy Grant's presentations so much.

And indeed, basically wrote a 2500 word love letter to Grant's introduction of the ATEM Mini Pro and updates to the Pocket Cinema Camera to make it a broadcast camera, just a couple of months ago.

In general, though, I've seen the work that YOU folks do, and know that there are literally thousands of people in the COW who could do a better job than what I'm seeing from these humongo corporations who don't know enough about cameras not to point them straight at windows. It's crazy.

And it's not like these people haven't had plenty of time to prepare to do something GOOD. They've certainly had plenty of time to look at all the garbage 'casts out there.

Now that I type that aloud, I wonder if they're seeing what their colleagues and competitors are doing and thinking, "Yeah, that's what a remote presentation is SUPPOSED to look like." Yikes! I hope not.

(This is a whole 'nother rant, but somewhat related: has Microsoft ever seen what a web conference call is supposed to look like? Because those Teams commercials are the WORST.)

Anyway, you all know that in plenty of other contexts, I have no love for Apple at all, but I've sure got my hopes up for this! As a presentation. The only thing I wear less often than pants these days is an Apple Watch. LOL

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 10, 2020 at 7:31:57 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Of all the virtual events out there, I'm most interested in how Apple is going to handle WWDC. While none of the WWDC shows have been quite as zippy as the old MacWorld shows (which Steve quit doing because mostly because the adulation was getting out of control even for him LOL), Apple has always put on a pretty good show....and pretty much EVERY virtual event so far has been the OPPOSITE of a pretty good show."

+1.

Their introduction of Craig Federighi of the Magic Keyboard, the small video they released, felt rushed and a bit awkward. But their ads have been great for the iPad Pro. So I'm very curious to see if they will just do an empty stage thing (I hope not) or work a lot more with labs, offices, videos, etc. ... to make a beautiful presentation.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 20, 2020 at 2:50:00 pm

I guess we'll now for sure on Monday.

https://mondaynote.com/osborning-the-mac-or-not-f0bbf4c319f0

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 22, 2020 at 7:27:07 pm

OK, here you go. Big Sur is the next mac OS. Transition to ARM (Apple Silicon) is on. First ARM-based Macs and Big Sur will be out by the end of the year. Full transition to Apple Silicon will take about 2 years. All Apple apps (including ProApps) will be native.

Keynote link below. macOS and hardware section starts at about 1 hr. 8 min.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2020/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Jun 22, 2020 at 7:34:35 pm

So probably no FCPX 10.5 until Big Sur is out this Fall.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 22, 2020 at 7:37:14 pm

I thought it was interesting that iOS and iPadOS apps would be able to run on Mac.
I got the impression that Rosetta 2 would help with plugin compatible even as the apps themselves were native.
Still not clear if Apple is going to move to USB4 with the move to ARM. Connectivity might be a big pain point for Pros moving away from Thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 22, 2020 at 7:42:41 pm

FCPX screen shots running under Big Sur on an ARM Mac. This shows the FCPX version of Adobe Premiere's auto reframe feature using Apple's "neural engine."

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Jun 22, 2020 at 11:58:09 pm

From this screen grab I can tell that they've added a full audio mixing suite, support for Blackmagic Raw, a scrolling timeline, multi-user support and a completely overhauled key framing system!

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Jun 23, 2020 at 12:02:17 am

I'm not seeing these...Is this a joke?

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Jun 23, 2020 at 12:06:57 am

https://fcpx.tv/top.html

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 23, 2020 at 12:10:35 am

Sure. Right. If you say so. :/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 24, 2020 at 12:40:07 am

I guess this will spell the end of the Hackintosh. It also would make me nervous about how long I could run an expensive shiny new Intel MacPro before having to stay put on an OS that worked and forgoing any software updates for popular apps as a result.

That said I think Apple are smart to do this move to ARM. Apart from having more control and lower power for laptops, it will annoy the hell out of Adobe, Blackmagic and AVID to have to support an OS running on very different hardware.

Meanwhile I'm weighing up my options to do a PC rebuild and maybe run Resolve on Linux. Apple is even further away for me as an option.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 25, 2020 at 5:18:52 pm

[Michael Gissing] "it will annoy the hell out of Adobe, Blackmagic and AVID to have to support an OS running on very different hardware."

Well, technically they already have to do that on the Windows side between AMD and Intel CPUs, and NVIDIA, Intel, and AMD GPUs. Not quite as different, but still something that adds complexity to the development schedule.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 25, 2020 at 5:07:43 pm

[Oliver Peters] "OK, here you go. Big Sur is the next mac OS. Transition to ARM (Apple Silicon) is on. First ARM-based Macs and Big Sur will be out by the end of the year. Full transition to Apple Silicon will take about 2 years. All Apple apps (including ProApps) will be native.
"

For me, I was deliriously happy with the Keynote.

First, FCP X (and the ProApps in general) got stage time!
To me that signals that Apple top management understands that they have a suite of tools that scale perfectly into the new WorkFromHome reality - and they are committed to those tools.

PLUS, those tools (including FCP X!) were announced as being already actively ported to run on the new Apple Silicon! Which should put a huge NAIL in the coffin of all the idiots still thinking that "FCP X was announced with a 10 year life span, and that's close to over and Apple will surely abandon it as unimportant to their iPhone sales."

This was the POLAR opposite of that. The ProApps are CENTRAL to where Apple sees their hardware going! My take away is that the tool I love and that makes me a faster, happier editor will likely be around for the rest of my career.

This WWDC was an absolute HOME RUN for me because of those factors.

Features, shmeeshers. I can get features over time. FCP X has already given me huge boosts ion stability and efficiency, which drives my bottom line WAY better than whether or not I ever get DUP DETECTION. (nothing wrong with that, but it just ain't "mission critical" which not crashing and being daily dependable totally IS.

I came away from watching WWDC as a VERY happy guy.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 25, 2020 at 5:56:11 pm

As a follow up, here's John Gruber's The Talk Show interview:

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Dom Silverio
on Jun 25, 2020 at 7:52:06 pm

In highly technical forums, there is a discussion of how far Apple will use their ARM chipset. Currently, they are angling it to replace smaller and mobile Mac - Mac mini and laptops. The question is, can they scale it to the desktop level of a Mac Pro. Desktop CPU is where it is tough to compete with AMD and Intel. It explains their time frame that the transition to ARM will take years AND they will continue to release OSX that supports x86 Intel CPUs.

The news is exciting for portable Macs. But I'll wait for the desktop version of the CPU.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 26, 2020 at 5:50:50 pm

A surprisingly positive take from Linus

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jun 26, 2020 at 6:29:45 pm

I haven't had time to watch any of these videos, but has anyone answered the question of what this means for BootCamp? Will people still be able to run Windows natively on a Mac, or even via emulation (e.g., Parallels or VMWare Fusion)?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 26, 2020 at 6:34:19 pm

[Brad Hurley] "but has anyone answered the question of what this means for BootCamp?"

Based on reading between the lines of what Federighi has said, it seems like virtualization is tied to OSs that already can run on Arm-based processors. These are used in some data centers. That's why Linux shows up. It doesn't rule out Windows yet. But he does seem to imply that booting an Arm-based Mac into another OS won't be possible (i.e. no Boot Camp). Obviously this could change between now and the final release of 11.0, but that's how it seems to stack up at this point.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 26, 2020 at 9:34:13 pm

[Dom Silverio] "The question is, can they scale it to the desktop level of a Mac Pro. "

This is of course the question, and I think that Apple has used a number of methods to tell us the answer, "It will take years."

I am struck that the system that they're seeding with developers is a Mac Mini with 16GB RAM, using the same chip that's in the iPad Pro.

This already tells you exactly what you need to know. Of COURSE it does some things well, but it's also an utter non-starter with others. That's not a negative, or in any way a criticism. For the vast majority of the process of building a bridge, it doesn't even LOOK like a bridge. It doesn't even start to function as a bridge for the people BUILDING the bridge until it's almost done.

That's exactly why Apple says that they're going to be supporting Intel Macs for years. I'm sure that they have an end date targeted on an internal roadmap, even if it's just written on a post-it note on a whiteboard, but there's no real point in getting ahead of ourselves here.

Five years? Ten years? I haven't seen anyone anywhere speculate anything remotely plausible yet, at least partly because I think there's no way to know. But when Apple says "years to come" for Intel, there's every reason to believe them.

When Apple talks about new processing platforms at WWDC, they usually include a slide or two with benchmarks. Not this time. Benchmarks aren't the point. There is NO performance gain to be had here. NONE. iPads are awesome, and in many obvious ways, the ultimate fulfillment of the 1984-era vision of Mac that Steve had from the get-go.

For that matter, an iPad Pro is exponentially more powerful than that first Mac was LOL (and in color no less!), but it's not even vaguely useful for building a COMPUTING PLATFORM on any time soon. Apple knows this, which is why is why they're not talking about it for actual computing. For now, it's a DEV platform, and for that, will be a gas. Those people are in for a fantastic ride. To the extent that I still have fond memories of my life as a developer (eg, mild to moderate LOL), I envy them.

So what IS Apple saying about ARM? As usual The Verge's coverage of all this is blowing everyone else out of the water. From this article, this jumped screaming out of the page at me:

The company’s press release says very specifically that Apple’s new chips will “give the Mac industry-leading performance per watt,” and that’s a very deliberate turn of phrase. Apple’s arguing that by building the most efficient kind of chips it can — “the highest performance with the lowest power consumption” — it can achieve more raw performance by tipping the scales of that performance-per-watt formula toward more watts.

Look, I'm glad Apple is thinking about efficiency. Everybody should. But that's not the biggest problem that most of us have solve.

Where it gets interesting for mobile, and for mobile ONLY, is that ARM allows more efficient integration of GPU functions into a single chip with the CPU. That's cool, but one of the things we're learning is that dedicated GPUs are actually WORTH something. So even after Apple has transitioned CPUs for all machines, including the priciest towers over to ARM, there may still be room for somebody's third party GPUs. Maybe Intel and AMD, maybe somebody else -- again, no way to know.

Here's what we DO know. Microsoft has been running Windows on ARM for 10 years. This is absolutely nothing new.

In fact, I feel like one of the core messages of this WWDC is, "You know what? Everybody else is right. Microsoft has been going hard on ARM for a decade, and it's about time for us to get serious about this too. And all that stuff we've been either mocking or ignoring on Android? Well, it's time to take that seriously too."

(Seriously, take a look at any "what's new and exciting about iOS 14" article at a Mac site, then go look at a "here's what Apple has learned from Android" article on an Android site, and they've never been more identical. Or I can save you the steps and point you to this article at The Verge that combines both into one handy place. "Some of the best new iOS features might look familiar"

And sure, we can play the "Everybody steals from everybody" game, and it's always true, but it has never been MORE true that Apple is taking more of its moves from other people this time than anybody on the other side ever has from Apple. I mean, it really is stupefying, if also gratifying as somebody who's been yapping for years that I bailed on Apple years ago for all this stupid stuff that they weren't doing, or were doing more poorly than everyone else, only to discover Apple saying, "Yep, you're right." I KNOW lol)

So where has, and hasn't, Microsoft been working with ARM. Surface is ARM, for sure. It's like a Chromebook on steroids, which isn't saying much. LOL Okay, and maybe more compelling than an iPad Pro (albeit less so since iPad Pro has taken so many moves from the Surface) or a low-end Macbook, but really not enough to build a future-facing platform on.

You know what's not been happening in any huge way on ARM processors? 64-bit processing. Apple won't be willing to live with that long term, and you can bet that this is going to be a big thrust for developer conversations in the breakout rooms.

MSFT's approach to ARM is similar to their approach to everything, which is to say, "We're going to dictate less rather than dictate more." They support old stuff for a very, very long time. This is an impediment to progress, but continuity and reliability are values worth aspiring to, too. So they have explicitly said that they DON'T see a sunset for Intel yet, at least partly because they don't need to.

But for the foreseeable future, there's enough stuff that ARM isn't good enough at, that's at the bedrock of high-performance Wintel boxes for things like servers and science and such, that MSFT has NEEDED to support a multivalent environment. There are too many people doing too many different things to assume that one platform within the platform to be enough. It isn't.

And this may remain the case for Apple, even in the post-transition world. Maybe some classes of software will always need some kind of emulator. Another great observation from another great Verge article, here:

Without getting too deep into the weeds, there are lots of different ways Apple could go. It could limit ARM Mac to iPad-like Catalyst apps. It could try to offer emulation for any app that expects an Intel processor. It could offer a relatively easy transition for developers using existing APIs. It could sunset some APIs while beefing up newer ones like Swift.

("What Windows can teach the Mac about the switch to ARM processors")

The same article includes the tail end of a massive Twitter thread from an Apple developer who also works with ARM in the Windows world:

I mean, there's understandably an undercurrent of enthusiasm here for Apple's own apps, but the top developer of sofware used on Macs isn't Apple, it's Microsoft. Even inside the creative space, I'd be willing to bet that it's Adobe.

That's one of the things that excited ME in the WWDC keynote. Mentions of software from Microsoft and Adobe running in ARM Macs. When Apple is talking about its own stuff, that's fine, they should...but when they're talking about other people's stuff, you know that it's actually important. LOL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 26, 2020 at 11:54:19 pm

Some more thoughts.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2020/06/26/apple-pivots-wwdc-2020/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Morgan Hazard
on Jun 27, 2020 at 7:39:30 am

I think this is a good explanation:

A rather cheesy intro but it gets better as it goes. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]