APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Film and TV shooting can start June 12th in LA - true ?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Film and TV shooting can start June 12th in LA - true ?
on Jun 7, 2020 at 4:45:34 pm

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-06-05/gavin-...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/california-governor-newsom-reveals-fi...

True ?
Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Film and TV shooting can start June 12th in LA - true ?
on Jun 8, 2020 at 3:48:02 pm

Now we wait to hear what insurance companies say and do.

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 8, 2020 at 4:08:25 pm

[Warren Eig] "Now we wait to hear what insurance companies say and do."

What do you expect out of insurance? I'm not challenging that, but I'm curious about whether insurance has any liability coverage for this. After all, if the crew gets sick from a member working with the flu, how does insurance deal with that? And what about on-prem post?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 8, 2020 at 4:12:12 pm

I mean, insurance may not want to cover the production. And flu and Covid are very different don't equate the two.

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 8, 2020 at 4:41:41 pm

[Warren Eig] "And flu and Covid are very different don't equate the two."

I'm not doing that. But from a standpoint of liability insurance implications, they are fairly close. Given the precedents it would set, that may not be something that an insurance company would want to cover. Ever.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 8, 2020 at 4:53:34 pm

AMPTP task force guidelines.

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/iwlmsc-task-force-white-pa...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 9, 2020 at 7:41:58 am

For all that it's 22 pages long, it sure doesn't say much!

(I know that I've got some kind of nerve saying that, since I specialize in 22-page posts that don't say much. LOL)

Kidding aside, a couple of things jump out at me. One is that this is worth reading for everyone in production. Even if you don't have huge union crews or big network money in your pocket, the general principles of how to manage time, space, people, and hygiene apply to everyone.

Besides, "Hollywood" isn't just Hollywood. It's every place that a "Hollywood" production shoots. Major production hubs including Georgia, North Carolina, and New Mexico will be having to think about this. I'm guessing Vancouver too, right?

Certainly other countries have already been thinking about this. Denmark and Sweden are two countries that chose not to shut down production, but instead focused on social distancing. They're both limiting sets to 50 people total (cast and crew combined), and mandating no crowd scenes.

Still, this is a Hollywood document, wherever Hollywood may be, so I'll focus there first.

-- Most of this document is boilerplate. Don't touch your face. Pages 11 and 12 can be pretty much summarized by "Don't share condiments."

-- The recommendation of shorter days with smaller crews and fewer people hanging around the set seems prudent as a starting place, but a lot of the economics of TV are predicated on throwing bodies at problems, and making those bodies work long hours.

This could represent a tectonic shift in how Hollywood structures productions, if these recommendations are really followed. I don't know that it means that things would HAVE to cost more, but we honestly have no idea how much it would cost if every show kept "shorter" hours for their entire durations, because so few productions have ever considered this as a goal.

-- It's one thing to say that paid sick leave policies "must" be flexible and non-punitive (page 14), but what the heck does that mean? It surely doesn't mean that one sick person will hold up an entire production, but might it? I could see a production arguing that they had to replace the six people who were sick so that the other 94 people could keep working, but find themselves facing six lawsuits for punitive behavior.

And what does "must" mean? Who enforces that imperative?

I don't mean to sound negative about this on the whole document, because there are a bunch of these recommendations that shouldn't have been necessary to lay out in the first place. So I'm glad that there's a sharper urgency around the notion that productions have more responsibility to their workers than not killing them right this minute, but it mostly reminded me how much we've taken safety for granted in general.

btw, I was curious about production insurance, so I looked it up. There is such a thing as pandemic insurance, but previous policies covered from 2 - 5 days off, max. Even so, the amount to be paid out could run into the billions. And there are no insurance companies on earth currently writing these policies anymore.

You can also forget production completion bonds for the forseeable future. I love this quote from a lawyer in an Indiewire article on this topic: “This is hitting every single production at the exact same time, which is not an insurance model."

More here. The article is 6 weeks old, so not entirely applicable, but the math is the math, and it's sobering.

In a way, the whole idea of insurance is predicated on knowing the odds, and trying to fix them in your favor through superior math skills and fancy marketing lingo. LOL But insurance companies can't use math or marketing to tilt the odds of productions crossing the finish line in their own favor. Better not to take the bet, unless production companies are willing to use an insane amount of money to secure those bonds.

Even so, how many companies posting those insane amounts would need to actually complete on time, making no claims, in order for an insurance company to pay out even a handful of claims for productions that can't finish? I just don't see any way for the numbers to work.

We're just going to have to trust an awful lot of people to stop sharing condiments I guess.

I do hope that more folks will take at least a quick look at the document Oliver links to and consider how these suggestions might or might not apply to your very different production environments. And of course chime in on what you see. :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 19, 2020 at 3:41:43 pm

Feel free to call this a crazy idea. But until we have a reliable treatment/vaccine, I think the only practical way to get productions back up and on time is to not just do a closed set, but a closed lot; now everybody gets a trailer, not just the stars.

The entire cast and crew live on the premises for the duration, (including one to two weeks at the beginning to clear everyone coming in) and nobody gets to leave unless they're not coming back or production is wrapped. Everybody. From the Director to the Craft Services people.

You don't do location shoots, you shoot those virtual and green screen, or, those are done last, after everything possible is shot "in the bubble". Of course, this is hella inconvenient. And expensive. OTOH, your production is... producing. You have new product to sell. And it might actually in some ways go faster than the minimalist start-stop methods, if the union and studio get creative on the hours.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jun 20, 2020 at 1:23:00 pm

Here in India, we have been debating this as well. Some guidelines are being floated. The basic idea has remained the same. Keep distance, don't share anything.

But one production I've heard of has suggested something different. It works something like this.

The entire crew, except talent and other 'heads', head for a studio complex in a remote area, which has residential facilities. Its a 'walled garden' where no one else can get in our out.

Here, everyone gets tested for Covid, and stays in quarantine till the results come back. Based on the results, if no one is positive, then they still quarantine themselves for 5 days, just in case.

Meanwhile, the rest who haven't travelled, also get tested and stay quarantined till their results arrive. And if they are all negative, they stay quarantined, for five days just in case. Then they go to location.

Now, on location, you have a team of individuals who are Covid negative and have had no interaction with anyone in the outside world. Daily temp and oximeter readings are still mandatory, and social distancing is still followed, but there is some peace of mind that no one is likely to get sick.

From the first lot of crew, if anyone is found positive, then that person/s goes back and the rest remain but stay in 14 days quarantine, means, inside rooms, no meeting each other, just in case. Hopefully no one else develops symptoms, but another test is done just to be safe.

Its a bit Utopian and there are some things unforeseen that can throw things. What I think will happen, is that people will form guidelines and start until one or more individuals get sick and then all of this will come to a halt.

Lets see how things turn out.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 27, 2020 at 12:06:43 am

[Mark Suszko] "Feel free to call this a crazy idea. But until we have a reliable treatment/vaccine, I think the only practical way to get productions back up and on time is to not just do a closed set, but a closed lot; now everybody gets a trailer, not just the stars."

That's basically what the NBA is pitching by finishing the season in Orlando. Everybody comes to the bubble for a couple of weeks.

The players objected when they saw that support staff wasn't also being required to live in the same bubble. I'll be honest that I haven't been following the current state of the conversation, but I think that this is exactly what needs to be considered right now.

I did see a headline that 16 players tested positive this week, which may also have some impact on the conversation. The thing that folks our age need to reckon with is that while deaths are going down, infections are going way, way up, and the consequences for survivors can be pretty dire. I'm sure you've seen stories of people in their 20s with no prior conditions winding up needing lung transplants, or the broad incidence of kidney failure and heart failure in people as young as their 20s and 30s.

That's what athletes are objecting to. They know that they have the financial means and health support to not die from an infection, but the infection doesn't care how much dough you have when it gets to your lungs.

I also saw a tweet from a technologist who's shared some of her work with us at the COW, a producer at Nice Shoes in Hollywood, co-founder at Blue Collar Post Collective, presented at NAB and SMPTE, etc etc:

I'm not commenting on her politics and ask that you not do so here either, and look, maybe you think that math is political, but me, I think that math is more often the antidote to politics. The numbers are the numbers, and most of them are moving in exactly the opposite direction that any of us want. We (broadly speaking) are acting as if the numbers ARE getting better, when they're really, really not, ESPECIALLY in Los Angeles, although Houston, Phoenix, New Orleans, and Miami also have some stories for you.

(The Phoenix story just came across my desk. Here's how fast the numbers are rising: the new cases in the past seven days alone represent nearly a third of how many they've seen all-time: 66,458 all time, and 19,767 in the past week. Adding nearly 4000 a day, and going up. Yikes!)

[Neil Sadwelkar] "What I think will happen, is that people will form guidelines and start until one or more individuals get sick and then all of this will come to a halt."

My post is a lot more gruesome than I intended, but I'll end with a lighter note, also from Twitter. Matt Goldberg at Collider responded to news about the release date for Christopher Nolan's Tenet being moved again with a meme from Arrival:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]