APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Frame.io's new Transfer pipeline experience.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Frame.io's new Transfer pipeline experience.
on May 7, 2020 at 6:20:17 pm

I had a chance to help some of my friends at Frame with a pre-launch test of their new Transfer service.

Which is basically (at least as I understand it) a distributed download schemea that works a little like Bit Torrent. The idea is that when you initiate a download, the cloud server sends not one, but multiple streams of packets that the receiving utility checksums and re-assembles onto the host machine. This apparently makes it far more efficient at saturating whatever bandwidth the receiving party has.

I'm super, super lucky in that my neighborhood was recently re-wired for AT&T High speed fiber and I can now reliably get 900+ Mb/s down AND upload speeds.

In my test, I grabbed a 6.9 Gig folder (yes, you can download whole folders of assets and it works perfectly) and the transfer from the Frame server to my desktop took all of 62 seconds to complete.

I know they are working on a way to add uploads, but right now, it's just down.

IF you have fast pipes. This might be the beginning of the whole "work from home" game changing.

Just a FYI.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Frame.io's new Transfer pipeline experience.
on May 7, 2020 at 11:11:02 pm

I have to assume that Bill is in San Diego. I have just read on Reddit that some guys who are editors in San Diego now have AT&T with the Qualcomm test project, and are getting 900 Mb/sec upload speeds. That is AMAZING - and that is the future of our business for remote workflow. Companies like Comcast and Spectrum will never invest in the infrastructure to do this, but AT&T apparently is - and of course Google did for a while. Once this becomes a reality for all of us - then remote editing will become more of a reality. 900 Mb/sec is not 10G speeds - but it is 10 times better than what we can get here in Florida !

As Bill states -
"IF you have fast pipes. This might be the beginning of the whole "work from home" game changing."

Yes sir - that is the real future. Not HDR or 8K.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 8, 2020 at 1:30:36 am

I'd love to have better than 50 down & 20 up. The past week workers have been putting fibre into a pit in my front yard but I can't connect to it. It's only for new housing developments.

Multiple packet streams dates back to ftp. I used to run my own ftp server and it was the quickest way to do peer to peer between the editors drive and my drive. No waiting for up then down. I would still prefer that but so many editors complained they couldn't use drag & drop at their end and they didn't want to install open source freeware software to do ftp. The lazy easy approach now takes twice as long and uploads often have expiry dates. Backward step.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 8, 2020 at 3:32:41 am

I am working form home. My pipe is not great. Not terrible but not great. (200Mb down/12Mb up)

The frame.io transfer app is about 25% faster than Dropbox without doing anything. Same material, different platforms, same internet.

The most important part is that it also now downloads folder structures, which you could not do frame.io before, which made it really hard to maintain more involved directory structures using frame.io.

It's really cool.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 8, 2020 at 4:54:49 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "The frame.io transfer app is about 25% faster than Dropbox without doing anything."

I find WeTransfer similarly faster than Dropbox. One of the reasons I discourage people using Dropbox is that it is slow and more likely to interupt a download and not recover. Also unlike ftp you can't resume a download.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 8, 2020 at 1:51:24 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I find WeTransfer similarly faster than Dropbox. "

with this new frame update, I think its time to close my 1TB Dropbox account.
Im using both and very annoyed when clients confuse which to use for review.
Dropbox video review is pure poop.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 8, 2020 at 2:36:51 pm

[Eric Santiago] "with this new frame update, I think its time to close my 1TB Dropbox account.
Im using both and very annoyed when clients confuse which to use for review.
Dropbox video review is pure poop."

I love frame.io. It is purpose built for video review, but it doesn't do well for large file exchange, even though it's super fast.

Funny thing is we signed up for Dropbox because of the pandemic. It seems a lot of artists we collaborate with use it, and it connects directly to the home office storage without a separate computer, which is great. We do not use it for review, however, it's more of a postal service for shipping and receiving. I actually like Box better than Dropbox, but Box has file size limits (and doesn't connect to the storage).

Frame's plans are 250GB of storage (you can double that for an extra $15/mo), Dropbox has unlimited storage, for about the same price per year for us. Dropbox's ability to simply send a link for people to upload something is something that frame doesn't have, or at least it's not as easy.

So as it is, I couldn't remotely distribute one of our projects, even with proxy files, using frame.io since the storage capacity is dismal. 250GBs is like 25 20min ProRes masters, or two XVAC 480, 40 minute interviews, it's just simply not enough storage.

For client video review, frame is fantastic and for my money can't really be beat, and yes, Dropbox is poop, but when sending or requesting lots of large files in a specific directory structure, Dropbox definitely has frame beat. With this transfer app, and once upload becomes a reality, perhaps some of that will change but 250GBs of storage is paltry compared to Dropbox.

Another cool thing about the new Frame.io transfer app is that it will allow you to download either full res footage, or the Frame generated proxies in a few different sizes, which is super useful:

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 9, 2020 at 12:31:03 pm

It's dreadful for video review, but I love Dropbox for keeping our studio in sync. We've got clients on all the major file share/cloud sync tools, and I've found Dropbox to be hands-down the most flexible for us.

Three reasons:
  • Block-level sync (not file level!) means just the changed parts of files get transferred over the network.
  • Selective sharing works per device, so I can sync different folders to my different computers, so I can keep lots of things in sync on my workstation, and just exactly what I need on my laptop.
  • LAN sync keeps multiple local machines synced without the cloud roundtrip.

But in keeping with the theme of this forum, horses for courses. We use frame.io for video review, Google Slides with animated GIFs for motion system review, and Digital Pigeon for accelerated file transfers.

Looking forward to trying the new Transfer feature!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on May 8, 2020 at 1:22:49 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Once this becomes a reality for all of us - then remote editing will become more of a reality. 900 Mb/sec is not 10G speeds - but it is 10 times better than what we can get here in Florida !"

There's hope for Florida Bob! When I was living in Jacksonville, AT&T ran fiber through my neighborhood and I had the option of 1GB up/1GB down for about $90 a month, which was what Comcast was charging for 100Mbps down/10 up. Comcast had 1Gb down/up for businesses, but I think they were charging $900/month, which is ridiculous.

If Jacksonville can get fiber, I'm sure Orlando and the rest of the state will eventually.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on May 8, 2020 at 2:36:04 pm

We're using "Resilo". to sync multiple remote workers with constantly updating media files. Works like a charm.

Best feature is that if for some reason your connection or transfer is interrupted, it will pick right up where it left off.
That's a huge improvement over FTP.

I concur that decent bandwidth is one of the most crucial factors in establishing a successful Work From Home scenario.

I can't believe we've been doing this for 8 weeks now!

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on May 12, 2020 at 11:52:23 am

I have used MASV.IO for large file transfers. Think of it like a Fedex when the physical Fedex wont work. I did a shoot in Jackson Hole with tight turn around over 3 days. There were editors working in Brooklyn and in Denver so files had to go to 3 places. There was no chance that fedex would work so I used MASV for camera file transfers which were Canon 4K XF AVC. The MASV portal was great at saturating what ever connection I had at max rate, notifying recipients on the distribution list that they had files to download and notifying me that the files were being downloaded. MASV costs- they charge by the GBs downloaded, so it is not a comparable to DB or Box. That said there is no file size limit and over the 3 days I was pounding it hard with 4k files. We had done a test with DB, but it just wasnt going to cut it for the parameters of this project ( too slow) and MASV made it possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]