APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

ProRes RAW Beta on the Windows

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Michael Gissing
Re: ProRes RAW Beta on the Windows
on Mar 31, 2020 at 5:08:50 am

I note Resolve isn't on the beta list. Nor Avid.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 31, 2020 at 1:22:59 pm

On the Blackmagic Design user forum a few months back, someone from Blackmagic Design pointed out that the ball is in Apple's court in terms of bringing Prores Raw to DaVinci Resolve. Apparently a lot of people have been pestering BMD to include it, but they've been talking to the wrong company: if Apple gets enough requests they may consider working with BMD to make it happen, but apparently not enough people have requested it yet so from Apple's perspective the demand isn't there.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 31, 2020 at 7:30:48 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 31, 2020 at 7:31:08 pm

[Brad Hurley] "Apparently a lot of people have been pestering BMD to include it, but they've been talking to the wrong company"

Or BMD doesn't want to pay Apple any licensing rights since they have a competing solution.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 31, 2020 at 7:45:37 pm

"Or BMD doesn't want to pay Apple any licensing rights since they have a competing solution."

I don't think Braw is really "competition" for Prores Raw, though. It's more of a threat to Apple: Because Final Cut can't work with Braw, BMD camera owners who might otherwise stick with Final Cut have to go to Resolve or another NLE to make proxies and some of them decide to stay there and defect from FCPX.

For BMD, having the ability to work with both Braw and Prores Raw would optimal, since it attracts more people to Resolve who might otherwise stay with Final Cut or one of the few other NLEs that can read and edit Prores Raw. For Apple, the benefits are less clear: they'd really only be retaining the relatively small but not insignificant number of FCPX users who use BMD cameras or who need to work with footage from BMD cameras. And a lot of those people still use FCPX for editing: they'll make proxies in Resolve, edit in FCPX, and go back to Resolve for color and possibly audio.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 31, 2020 at 7:57:49 pm

[Brad Hurley] "Because Final Cut can't work with Braw"

In theory, Apple could support BRAW. According to BMD, the SDK is openly available to developers. Assuming that's true (and there aren't any behind-the-scenes strings attached), then Apple could just as easily support BRAW as ProRes RAW. It would just be a matter of allocating engineering resources.

I think right now, even though we are a couple of years into this, it's still too early to say who will ultimately support which codecs. It's still evolving. Until one or the other or both get a few "name brand" camera manufacturers to support these codecs for acquisition, there won't be much impetus to change.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 31, 2020 at 11:18:25 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Mar 31, 2020 at 11:21:55 pm

It's entirely up to Apple to do what BMD have done. Make their SDK publicly available. If they want license fees then ProResRAW deserves to be ignored by other NLEs.

I assume Adobe have stumped up the fee as they see editors switching to Resolve. And seriously to be in beta two years after release of a codec shows this is low priority. The number of people wanting to use BRAW in FCPX would be so much higher than people wanting to use ProResRAW in any NLE. I've never seen ProResRAW on any production. Alternatively BRAW has been used on at least four recent productions I have post produced.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 1, 2020 at 3:45:32 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I've never seen ProResRAW on any production."

Ditto. I've worked on a lot of projects since it's introduction and zero have been shot in ProResRAW.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 1, 2020 at 3:54:50 pm

I'm really happy with Braw and I wish apple would get the F on board with that codec. All apple has to do is look at the numbers of BMD cameras sold recently that use the Braw codec and It would seem to be a no brainer to build support in X.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]