APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Catalina issues?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Oliver Peters
Catalina issues?
on Mar 8, 2020 at 1:37:27 pm

Apple is now a ways into the release of Catalina with a few updates under the belt. For those who have gone to Catalina, what are your general experiences thus far? I've seen a number of issues posted lately, like frequent reboots.

If you've had bad experiences, are these fresh installs on new machines or migrations/updates from earlier OS versions?

What about when connected to shared storage like QNAP, LumaForge, etc?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Catalina issues?
on Mar 8, 2020 at 2:13:55 pm

So far my experiences is with my Graphics/Motion designer at dayjob.
Took a 2013 D700 and reformatted system.
With a fresh Catalina (not great experience with a prev upgrade) and Adobe CC 2020 its all been a decent ride.
We are waiting for our 2019s and will be converting all 2013s to the same setup.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2020 at 2:34:29 pm

We have a couple of machines that were new and cane with Catalina.

We also got new shared storage, and did a general infrastructure upgrade from 8Gb fiber to 10Gb Ethernet.

I’ve posted about this before, but Catalina has a wicked bug that ejects 10Gig shares under heavy load. This is new machines with factory fresh installs.

The good news is it’s fixable, the bad news is is that who knows if Apple will fix it permanently so we have to “monitor” the situation on any install and it requires disabling SIP and running a utility. It’s not hard, just annoying. Our other machines are still on Mojave as the upgrade doesn’t seem worth it at this time.

Other than the constant OS warnings and security settings Catalina requires, it’s been fine after that. The new hardware is impressively fast and fcpx is still a lot of fun.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 8, 2020 at 5:18:24 pm

My main beef is the available hard drive space changes often. I suspect this has to do with the APFS "feature" unless there is something else going on. I just installed Adobe CC and Premiere Pro gave some warning about an issue upon first launch. I quick reboot fixed that. Resolve seems to be more stable than Catalina is at the moment. 🤷‍♂️

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 9, 2020 at 1:05:38 am

What's the deal with "vintage" media files?
Thanks,
R.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2020 at 12:30:57 pm

[Robert Withers] "What's the deal with "vintage" media files?"

What do you mean?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 9, 2020 at 2:37:01 pm

[Oliver Peters] "What do you mean?
"

I wonder if he's referring to the older QT codecs.
I have a ton of those that don't seem to be having any major issues with the fresh install of Catalina on a 2013 Mac Pro.
It was an issue prior to the same 2013 upgraded from High Sierra to Catalina.
That install was a few days in hell at work.
So far so good with a fresh install.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2020 at 2:49:20 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 9, 2020 at 3:30:29 pm

[Eric Santiago] "I wonder if he's referring to the older QT codecs."

I think anything that's on Apple's supported list will work.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209000

Some, like DNxHR, don't work yet within QT or FCPX, but do work within an app that supplies its own 64-bit library files (Avid, BMD, Adobe, etc). Of course, ProRes Raw or BMD Raw support is still evolving.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:32:09 pm

Larry Jordan and an archivists' thread made a lot of posts about how Catalina (or FCPX--was never clear) would deprecate 32-bit media files, we imagined such as ProRes and DNxHD.
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:34:38 pm

Sorry, DNxHR I guess. Don't use it myself.
R

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:48:33 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:57:49 pm

ProRes is absolutely supported. Nothing deprecated about that. DNxHR will be, but isn't yet.

It's an OS-level issue, not specifically FCPX or any other app. Apple's ProApps and Quicktime Player depend on video libraries supplied in the OS. Beyond the standard codecs installed, additional "pro" codecs can be installed through a Pro Formats Update, generally associated with FCPX.

A codec that is deprecated because it uses 32-bit libraries will still work in the future, if:

a) Apple supplies new 64-bit library components for it. In that case, all apps that use these libraries can read/write those codecs, including FCPX. Or,

b) The third-party company that uses these codecs creates their own internal libraries and doesn't on OS-level components, in order to read/write those files. In that case, those third-party apps can read/write the files, but Apple apps won't necessarily be able to.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Mar 9, 2020 at 9:05:42 pm

I have a new MacPro and Catalina is required. My issues so far is that I have to reboot as often as I did in OS9. I've reinstalled the OS at least four times. Worst thing that happened was my User folder vanished and I was returned to the default User state. Some of my Mail messages content disappears; quitting and relaunching brings them back.

At the beginning, I did a clean install of all my apps, extensions, plug-ins, etc. The only folder I imported using Migration Assistant were my Documents.

Only a few apps I use often aren't ready or won't run on Catalina. Only one audio plug-in developer hasn't updated yet.

I got a QNAP about ten days ago, and no problems I've noticed so far.

BTW, you CAN boot from an external drive, contrary to what some people are claiming. It requires some settings in the Security pane to make it work. I use SuperDuper, and highly recommend a weekly clone, if not more frequently. Since my clone disk is an external SSD, using the Smart Update, cloning take about ten minutes. Time well spent.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro7,1 24-core - 256 GB RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB - 10.15.3

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2020 at 9:08:08 pm

[Jim Curtis] "My issues so far is that I have to reboot as often as I did in OS9."

What sort of frequency are you talking about?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Mar 9, 2020 at 9:20:52 pm

[Oliver Peters] "What sort of frequency are you talking about?"

About every three days on average. Some days twice. One of the recurring reasons is the app switcher GUI gets stuck to the secondary display (annoying), or the Finder disappears altogether (bad!). I can still reboot from the Apple menu. A few times, I've had to power off the computer to reboot. Occasionally, I can't switch between Adobe apps, and/or they won't hide or unhide. Rebooting brings back the expected behavior (for a while, anyway).

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 9, 2020 at 10:11:28 pm

just installed to try out the media composer beta. Dont do alot of heavy lifting at home but everything seems to working like normal. no os issues with Catalina and nothing crazy in Media Composer 2020.3 thats wasnt already a bug in 2019

again - i dont use a computer like some of you guys with a gillion plugins and 3rd party support apps so YMMV. So far jut Avid, emails and Chrome, and some apps like pages/preview etc.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2020 at 10:16:17 pm

[Neil Goodman] "nothing crazy in Media Composer 2020.3 thats wasnt already a bug in 2019"

IIRC, I think you lose support of media with embedded alphas (for now) and the Title Tool finally bites the dust. As I understand it, some of the missing functions (like alpha) will be rolled back in over a few version updates.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 10, 2020 at 2:42:34 pm

Yea I did see that in the readme but its noted as a beta limitation for now. good riddance to that old ass titler too, altough the new one is a little quirky.

Other than slates and black and white temp gfx, I dont really mess with titles

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 11, 2020 at 9:34:48 am

IMO Catalina is not an OS on which I would base my daily video workflow. I am being forced to use it with my new MBP 16 inch as Mojave won't install there.

Catalina reminds me of a beta version which isn't yet ready for public video/photo/audio use. Albeit we're at 10.15.3.

If one is merely replying on apple application and in-house plugs then Catalina may be fine but if you rely on third party code then you're in trouble unless you enter this command in to your terminal.

sudo spctl --master-disable

This will enable you to install and use third party applications and plugs which aren't released on the App Store. Like Waves etc.

After doing that I am able to use most 3rd pty stuff - aside from the stuff which was 32 bit only like speed grade (I sure wish adobe would update it).

In general Catalina drains my MBP Battery faster than any other macOS I have ever had and the fans are spinning constantly which they were not doing on Mojave. Latter is IMO a much better OS for video editing than Catalina. But for those who have no choice due to new Mac hardware, Catalina is the only option.

Pro Color Monitor - Get Your Color Balance Right
Get it on the AppStore Today->

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/pro-color-monitor/id1495383011?l=en&mt=12

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 11, 2020 at 2:49:07 pm

Thanks, Morten.
I'm about to pick up a 2019 iMac and plan to work with Premiere and Resolve. Hope to avoid"third-party" effects.
R

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 11, 2020 at 4:51:28 pm

[Robert Withers] "I'm about to pick up a 2019 iMac and plan to work with Premiere and Resolve. Hope to avoid"third-party" effects. "

Depending on which iMac it is and when it was released you might be lucky and be able to install Mojave. If it was released as Mojave was the current macOS you can install it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get it on the AppStore Today -- Pro Color Monitor MacAppStore

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 18, 2020 at 11:31:45 am

Catalina should not yet have been released to the public. In my experience I have had to go thru' numerous work arounds and HACKs to get my plugs and other stuff to Work.

Core Audio is stuttering and doing very odd things. Finder has gotten a mind of its own. Networking is poorer than it ever was. Compared directly with Sierra, Catalina is about 20% slower at everything...

All the new security features are only good for one thing -> Getting in the user's way.

The cut of OpenGL/OpenCL and focusing ONLY on metal leaves anyone with a NVIDIA card in the dust.

If one has the option ( which one does not with new Macs ) one should stay with Mojave and NOT upgrade to Catalina. Not yet anyway. The Beta of 10.15.4 is at beta 5 and still buggy - so at least wait until 10.15.4 drops and users post opinions !

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Mar 18, 2020 at 4:33:13 pm

Having used Macs since whatever OS the Mac Plus ran, I've learned not to trust any Mac OS that isn't x.x.5 or better. However, and you probably know this, if you buy current Mac hardware, you have no choice but to use Catalina.

Apple will get it right eventually, which is a supposition based on past history. Catalina isn't the unmitigated disaster that some people are claiming. It has bugs, but none that have been show-stoppers for me, and I work with it every day, all day long.

My biggest wish list item is for Adobe to get with the program and make their products (and our GPUs) work in Metal as well as they did / do (Windows) on CUDA. For Apple to work the kinks out of Catalina is further down the wish list. It's "good enough" for me so far. YMMV

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 22, 2020 at 5:08:15 pm

My biggest gripes with Catalina is the fact that it is still not even worthy of being a Beta.
If you don't HAVE to upgrade due to new Mac - don't do it. Unless you like iTunes to become three independent apps

-- Sierra is about 4 times faster than Catalina
-- Catalina's Security and Privacy is so cumbersome and annoying that I wanna throw my Mac away
-- Third Party plugs and developers (Waves for one) need Terminal Hacks to work correctly
-- Apple File System is very slow in comparison with HFS+
-- Networking on Catalina is not even 50:50 anymore. It is 20:80. Keeps getting worse with every release it seems.
-- Airdrop is as bad as ever
-- Wifi drops often.
-- Audio apps need twice the sample buffer to play the same sessions as on Sierra
-- List is long and I could keep going :-)

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 22, 2020 at 5:25:44 pm

you may wanna read this

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-macos-catalina-is-not-apples-fines...

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 24, 2020 at 2:16:06 am

Recently swapped the NVIDIA 1080Ti in my Hackintosh for a Radeon VII and did a clean install of Catalina. Was reluctant to make the change but the Radeon VII demanded it.

Gotta say, the system is now more stable than it's ever been. Absolutely rock solid. It has not crashed once in the past month under heavy loads that were crashing the buggy NVIDIA web drivers about 50% of the time with Mojave.

Everything just works, including Thunderbolt 3 hot-swapping my LG 5K monitor. My system seems way more stable than my buddy's new Mac Pro which was a nightmare for him to set up.

All in all I've been totally happy with Catalina, but I haven't tried anything aggressive with shared storage yet.

My biggest complaint is with the new UI for Apple Mail which is a total clusterfu*k. Whomever thought removing column sorting was a good idea needs to go back and retake UI 101.

Hope everyone is well and staying safe and healthy out there!

--dhl

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/dlawrence
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 24, 2020 at 12:45:46 pm

For the record, I’ve been fine with Catalina on new hardware. The new hardware consistently impresses me. I have not installed Catalina on any older machines yet, but if that time comes, I would do a clean install. When you look at the disk and file structures of Catalina, something that isn’t really talked about, but it’s a big shift and a clean install would definitely be recommended.

[David Lawrence] "All in all I've been totally happy with Catalina, but I haven't tried anything aggressive with shared storage yet."

There’s some serious (but fixable) 10Gb issues when the pipe is under heavy load. What kind of storage do you have?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 24, 2020 at 7:05:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "There’s some serious (but fixable) 10Gb issues when the pipe is under heavy load. What kind of storage do you have?"

I just wrapped two big 360 VR projects that were shot in 7K stereo. For these, speed was the priority so I used an internal NVMe M2 drive for cache and working files, in addition to a bunch of USB 3.1 gen 2 connected SSDs.

Now that everything's done, I need to archive everything and will be using these WD 10TB drives in this OWC toaster. I'll be using Carbon Copy Cloner (and maybe Finder in some cases) to do the copying.

Will writing to these drives be a problem?

Thanks Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 24, 2020 at 7:23:31 pm

[David Lawrence] "I just wrapped two big 360 VR projects that were shot in 7K stereo."

Cool. David, what app(s) were you using to edit and composite these?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 27, 2020 at 3:30:32 am
Last Edited By David Lawrence on Mar 27, 2020 at 3:36:40 am

[Oliver Peters] "Cool. David, what app(s) were you using to edit and composite these?"

Hi Oliver,

Here's an overview of both projects -

tl;dr version:

Mistika VR and Z CAM Wonderstitch for stitching
Mocha Pro for rig removal and roto
Neat Video plugin for noise reduction
Boris FX Continuum VR plugins for stereo compositing
Cinema 4D + Octane Render for 3D environment/character modeling
Poser Pro for character modeling
Adobe apps - Premiere and After Effects for keying, compositing, editing and finishing

Longer "sheltered in place and I'm bored" version:

Project 1) Wittgenstein's Garden

Stereoscopic 360 documentation of video artist Doug Hall's immersive sound sculpture at the Oliver Ranch Foundation in Geyserville, CA.

Doug's producer, my longtime friend and occasional collaborator, Starr Sutherland, invited me and my buddy Gary Yost to bring Gary's VR camera to the Oliver Ranch to shoot documentation.

Because the site is inaccessible to the general public, 360 VR is the perfect medium for conveying a sense of the environment and experience of the piece.

Gary's camera - a Z CAM V1 prototype (the only one of its kind in the world at that time) was in China needing repairs. So we borrowed its big brother, the Z CAM V1 Pro for our shoot in May of 2018.

I used Mistika VR for stitching, After Effects for compositing, Mocha Pro AE for rig removal, and Premiere Pro for the edit. The audio for the piece is second-order ambisonic with headlocked stereo ambience, mixed by Jim McKee, who was the lead sound designer on the piece itself.

By July of 2018 we had a three-minute demo for a curator we were talking to about possibly exhibiting in conjunction with a bigger show of Doug's work. The show didn't happen so we put the project on hold.

I returned to it this past February finishing rig removal and recutting video to Jim's new 9-minute sound mix.

Doug loves the finished piece and we hope to do a small exhibition of it at his San Francisco and New York galleries using Oculus Go headsets.

Project 2) Inside A Circle of Dreams - The Residents in 360

Fresh off Oliver Ranch, Starr started thinking about other 360 projects and invited us to bring the camera to small book release party The Residents were doing for Litquake in October 2018.
Starr's idea was - let's put the VR camera in front of the band and see what we get. No pressure or expectations, just experiment and have fun.

We shot with Gary's new production ready Z CAM V1. What's cool about this camera is its compact size and 31mm (~50% of average human eyes) interaxial lens distances means you can place this camera as close as 12-18 inches from your subject and still get perfect, very comfortable to view, stereo stitching.

We shot the whole set, using a Go.dingo rover to move the camera between songs.

I got the footage and went to work using these tools:

• stitching - Z CAM Wonderstitch - One nice thing about having a dual boot Hackintosh is I can run Windows 10 apps like Wonderstitch using full CUDA processing with the 1080Ti. (I've since replaced it with a Radeon VII for better stability and compatibility in macOS)
• stereo 360 rig removal - Mocha Pro AE plugin
• optical flow fixes - Mistika VR
• noise reduction - Neat Video plugin
• final compositing and mastering - After Effects

After I finished the first song, an intense, aggressive piece called DIE! DIE! DIE!, I sent it to Gary. He called me immediately totally excited. He said "you guys need to come over to my studio NOW and see this in the Vive Pro! It's unfreaking believable!"

Starr, Homer Flynn (president of The Cryptic Corporation) and I went to Gary's to look at what we had and yes, it was amazeballs. The band looked incredible. One of the artifacts of shooting close with the V1 is it tends to create an exaggerated hypo stereo effect where super close subjects look unnaturally big. Usually we want to avoid this but especially for this band, it looks great and makes you feel like they're playing right in front of you.

While the band looked awesome, the rest of the 360 sphere wasn't very interesting since it was just the audience and venue, mostly in the dark. What to do about that? Well, The Residents know and work with a lot of visual artists so what if we could get a couple of them to make some art/animation to *replace* the audience and clubspace?

We chose three songs from the set - DIE! DIE! DIE!, Teddybear (a cover of the Elvis tune), and MonkeyMan, a lyrical, 7-minute guitar-driven dreamscape. The idea was to have variety and a package that might be released as a VR EP. Then we started reaching out to artists, eventually finding three very talented, very different artists who all graciously volunteered to do artwork/animation for the project:

DIE! DIE! DIE! - Nick denBoer a super talented, wacky, 3D animator from Toronto Canada who's worked with bands like Flying Lotus and Deadmau5. Nick was a long time Residents fan and jumped at the chance to do a project with them.
Teddybear - Bill Domonkos, a fine artist, stereographer, and long time collaborator with The Residents.
MonkeyMan - Stéphane Blanquet, an internationally renowned artist/illustrator and another frequent collaborator with The Residents.

Each artist had a unique style and workflow:

Nick used Cinema 4D and Octane Render to craft a fully-realized 3D modeled, coliseum world where eyeball-headed victims meet their demise to a cheering crowd. The scenarios are comedic, ala road runner cartoons. Nick's 3D world blends seamlessly with the 3D video and at one point, the lead singer walks into it.

I did the roto for this sequence using Mocha Pro. It's 900 frames of organic, non-planer shapes with motion blur, in the dark, in 360 stereo. Very painful, but so worth it for the final effect. I'm a Mocha beta tester and worked directly with the Boris FX product manager and team fighting thru bugs and figuring out workarounds. Gotta say - the folks at Boris FX are the *best*. Their outstanding tools and support were integral to the success of both projects.

Bill took a totally different approach with Teddybear. Instead of removing the audience and venue, he decided to *keep* everything in the video and mess with it. He's a master stereographer and years ago figured out a way to use Poser to export 3D characters and objects so that they can be viewed in stereo 3D with a stereoscopic viewer.

His workflow is pure genius - he clones the model he's working on then positions the two models side by side in the scene and views them through slightly different camera views, fusing the stereo image in his head and adjusting the camera angle to get the right disparity. It works! I'm blown away by his technique and creativity.

I helped him choose a new iMac 5K and HTC Vive for the project. We developed a workflow to integrate his 3D models into the video using the Boris FX Continuum VR plugins and the native Adobe Immersive plugins. Using the Vive, he could dial in stereo z-plane settings viewing in real time as he worked with the plugins.

MonkeyMan.

I could easily write an article on collaborating with Blanquet on MonkeyMan. (Tim, if you're reading this, hit me up!)

The man's a mad genius and his work is both deeply disturbing and beautifully sublime. He goes there. Here's video of one of his exhibitions to give you an idea of the range of his talent:

When we got word Blanquet was interested in the project I was beyond thrilled. This is the rare kind of project I love the most. But of course, there have to be challenges:

1) He doesn't speak English
2) He's in Paris (+8/9 hours time difference)
3) He's physically challenged
4) He's busy and has limited availability

Over email and Skype, Blanquet and his manager Antoine (who speaks fluent English) proposed sending us his "pantin" (puppets) to use as we wish with the video. You'll see them in the video above - they're the black sculptures attached to the wall. They look like bizarre Balinese shadow puppets and he's made over 400 of them, each one unique. He also has a series of "silhouette" paintings that reference their style.

Weeks go by and then one day a box arrives at my studio. It's filled with puppets. They are exquisite - with incredibly fine details that look like they would break if you breathe on them too hard.

Okay, we have puppets and now we needed a puppeteer. We found the perfect one with Christine Marie, an innovative shadow puppet genius who incorporates anaglyph 3D in her award winning shadow puppet performances.

We brought Christine Marie to the Bay Area to puppeteer the puppets in front of greenscreen in my studio. We didn't need shadows, we wanted movement of the puppets themselves. After two days shooting with a Blackmagic Pocket 4K camera, I had a hard drive full of BRAW puppet greenscreen footage.

I spent the next couple months working with this footage to clean it up, isolate and generate keys, and make loops of various motion sequences and gestures. This gave me a palette of movement for each puppet that I could work with in the piece. Here's a video contact sheet I made for Blanquet to give you an idea what they look like:

At this point, it was August 2019. I had animated assets and was finally ready to actually begin making the piece.

I won't go into actual details of making the piece here because that really deserves its own post. I will say that in the many years of projects I've worked on, I think this one pushed me the hardest and farthest, both technically and creatively, and with it's successful completion is one of the most satisfying. There was no script, no storyboard, and the only direction I had from Blanquet was this sketch:

I look at the finished piece now and honestly have no idea where it came from. Fishing in deep water is fun and mysterious. Like The Residents, all three videos are awesome and unique. There's nothing quite like them in either the world of of 360 or music videos.

As far as what happens next, like so many other projects (maybe even yours), the current health crisis puts both Oliver Ranch and The Residents VR in limbo for now. Our launch, publicity, and distribution plans are all on hold and will need to be rethought for the new world we come back to once things return to normal.

And it's not like there was much audience for VR 360 to begin with. There are many extraordinary cinematographic VR pieces out there and their audience is a tiny fraction of what's needed for a sustainable industry. This medium is still in its infancy. It'll be years before what I see as the biggest obstacle - the awkward VR headset itself - is refined to a point where there's a critical mass of audience and the chance of turning this medium into a viable business.

If any of you guys have an Oculus Quest, Go, or Rift, let me know your Oculus ID and I'll share private Oculus Media Studio links that will let you save them to view in your headset. We're not putting this stuff out on YouTube or Samsung VR because we really believe they have to be seen on a VR headset to be fully and properly experienced. It just won't work on your tablet of phone.

So that's what I've been up to the past year and a half. The SF Bay Area was the first in the country with a shelter in place order and we're doing a good job flattening the curve. For me, it's not all that different then being locked in the studio working on VR art projects. ☺

p.s. - Gary *loves* FCPX and uses it for all of his VR post. I tease him about it. He got a new Mac Pro and after some initial bumps, finally has it set up and working well. It really screams.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 27, 2020 at 2:19:33 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the explanation.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 27, 2020 at 2:32:49 pm

[David Lawrence] "(Tim, if you're reading this, hit me up!)"

You better believe it! LOL "The Hit Up" email and phone call to follow!

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Mar 31, 2020 at 9:24:01 pm

That's certainly interesting. What does Mr. Yost think of you using Cinema 4D? ;)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 24, 2020 at 7:51:33 pm

[David Lawrence] "Will writing to these drives be a problem?"

Definitely not, you should be good, David. The problem is specific to network shares over 10Gb and SMB or NFS and an obscured setting called "server performance mode".

TB3 or USB-C or most any other direct connect drive will be just fine!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 24, 2020 at 11:08:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "TB3 or USB-C or most any other direct connect drive will be just fine!"

Great news, last thing I want to deal with are macOS bugs while backing up 20Tb of stuff!

[Jeremy Garchow] "The problem is specific to network shares over 10Gb and SMB or NFS and an obscured setting called "server performance mode"."

Good to know. I have a ReadyNAS Pro I don't currently use for production. I'm planning to upgrade it - the plan being retire the current RAID set, get a second, newer ReadyNAS and use this older one for backup, and load them all with 8-10Tb drives. The new ReadyNAS will have 10Gb ethernet and with a direct connection to my PC should deliver SSD-comparable speeds with huge amounts of space.

At that point I'll definitely be connecting to 10Tb+ size volumes and doing heavy loads over SMB. Hopefully Catalina will be fixed by then, but if not, what is the "server performance mode" setting tweak for future reference?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2020 at 3:58:53 am

[David Lawrence] "Hopefully Catalina will be fixed by then, but if not, what is the "server performance mode" setting tweak for future reference?"

To be honest, I'd wait to see if it happens. Every manufacturer seems to handle it kind of differently. There also seems to be a way to set things up in nvram (semi-temporarily). If you get a new system, I'd imagine it comes with support, and you can bug them about the best way to go about it.

When and if you get the system, just hit me up directly, editstation at the gmails dot com and I can point you to some other resources as it's a weird one to just kinda throw out there and post as I wouldn't want to be responsible to any weirdness to people's machines! ☺

Here's a public write up about it from SNS storage: https://www.studionetworksolutions.com/catalina-smb-video-nas-server/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 27, 2020 at 3:56:05 am

Thanks for the info, Jeremy!

28TB in HDs arrived today so I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend ☺

I'll definitely ping you when I do the upgrade to make sure this stuff is resolved.

btw, a PSA for all of you:

Do not, I repeat DO NOT buy your HDs from Amazon. Here's why:

Even thought drives are available by brand and most have warranty info in the description. 99% of the drives sold are via third-party sellers and DO NOT have a manufacturers warranty. This is often disclosed in small print and not obvious. If you buy a drive and it's not packed in a manufacturer's box, it will likely NOT be covered by the drive manufacturer.

I learned this the hard way when I had to RMA an entire RAID set of 5 8TB Segate Enterprise drives. Even though the drives showed eligibility for RMA return on the Seagate website, as I worked thru the case with support, the rep told the drives weren't actually covered because of their sourcing.

To Seagate's credit, the rep was able to get an exception and replaced the entire set, sending new replacement drives without me having to return the old drives first. Thank you Seagate.

Bottom line - buy drives from B&H. Their drives all come with a real warranty.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 27, 2020 at 2:12:15 pm

[David Lawrence] "Bottom line - buy drives from B&H. Their drives all come with a real warranty."

I second that wholeheartedly.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 27, 2020 at 10:51:31 pm

I was just made aware of this. So there's more "fun" coming even after the transition to Catalina. Oh great! ☹

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210999

- Oliver

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 27, 2020 at 11:39:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I was just made aware of this. So there's more "fun" coming even after the transition to Catalina. Oh great! ☹"

Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about that in the Hackintosh community lately, especially since we inject kexts during the boot process to make our PC hardware look like a vanilla Mac to MacOS. Fortunately, the gurus are already on it and we'll be fine. But I suspect this will be another bumpy period for pro Mac users who push their hardware with specialized software.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 14, 2020 at 4:13:41 am

I hope this group can help me.
I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
I use external just a bunch of drives for photography and video FCPx
and back ups.

My computer would crash a lot when I first got it after a clean install
and a ton of help and hours did not solve it.
At each new macOS update it got better.

I am on macOS Sierra. I am over ready to move on.
Only really cause I can't update the newer Apps.
I have heard for a long time that Catalina is buggy with FCP X.

BUT i read it was getting its act together now.

So Mojave or Catalina? I have used Mojave at work and it was a lot of work to get it all set up.

And any suggestions to start clean again or just update?

And any advice on how to do the clean install. That is a solid how to. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for back ups. I could set up Time Machine. Have never used it. Been told why not?

Also any good places to go in LA to install a bigger internal drive and maybe get this all updated for me. Not because I can't learn but because I never seem to have the time for it. And would prefer that someone who knows it well just gets it done.

And is a new computer a better option? It seems like the late 2015 still are being used. But if its money not well spent, I'll listen to that as well.

Any help would be great.

thanks

Imacs (i7), Canon C300, Canon 5D Mark IV, Panasonic ENG HPX250P, , FCP X, teach video production in L.A., Cool Light Productions, Producing series of multimedia Portraits of creative women in the production arts.

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
on Apr 15, 2020 at 3:03:45 pm

Craig,

I've read differing opinions about whether to upgrade to Mojave or Catalina. I recently fixed an OS issue on a 2015 iMac that belongs to a friend, and that computer has Catalina installed. I actually wanted to do a clean install of Mojave since I had read a lot of bad things about Catalina, but I was unable to install Mojave because of what I believe was an incompatibility between Mojave and a firmware update from the previous Catalina installation. So I ended up doing a clean install of Catalina on an external drive, and then used Migration Assistant to move all of the files from the internal drive to the external drive. Once that was complete and I verified that all of the files migrated successfully, I reformatted the iMac's internal drive and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the fresh OS install on the external drive to the iMac's internal drive. It has been working flawlessly since then.

(A note about Carbon Copy Cloner: You HAVE to use version 5 to clone to an APFS-formatted drive. Mojave and above require APFS.)

As for upgrading your 2015 iMac vs. buying a new Mac, part of that depends on the ratio of cost to performance increase, aka "the most bang for your buck". For example, will you see a significant enough increase in performance by upgrading the internal drive to an SSD and maybe adding more RAM? (40GB of RAM is already a fairly healthy amount, but I assume the iMac's internal drive is a conventional "platter" hard drive which is much slower than an SSD.) If so, then upgrading would cost a small fraction of the amount of a new Mac, and with a 2015 iMac you'll still be able to update macOS for at least another 2-3 years and enjoy improved overall performance during that time.

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
on Apr 15, 2020 at 5:57:34 pm

Correction to my last post: I said that Migration Assistant moved the files, but I meant to say that it copied the files.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 17, 2020 at 12:16:04 am

Have CCC 5....
And don't see the worth in getting a new Computer.
But would like more space in the computer SSD is only 500GB. running low though I'm sure there is a bunch of trash.

From what I have read sometimes catalina is ok and sometimes is a problem. I think Mojave would be fine. Any easy steps to do a clean install. It's always been a problem for me. Wonder if it would work to set it up on an external drive and and boot from there and see how thing go?

Imacs (i7), Canon C300, Canon 5D Mark IV, Panasonic ENG HPX250P, , FCP X, teach video production in L.A., Cool Light Productions, Producing series of multimedia Portraits of creative women in the production arts.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 15, 2020 at 11:22:36 pm

You are on 10.12. (Sierra) Good luck going to 10.15.

you just don't click "update" and it works, any more.

Apple does not like their own customers.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 16, 2020 at 7:08:06 pm

What about 10.14 from Sierra? I assume clean install? and any best practices?

Any reasonable $? help in LA to get a clean install done for me . I have too much work to do without going through the stress I always have with clean installs.

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
on Apr 17, 2020 at 4:51:27 pm

Craig,

Per this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475
...you can upgrade to Catalina from as far back as Mavericks

--- AND ---

Per this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190
...you can upgrade to Mojave from as far back as Mountain Lion

So you can upgrade to either Catalina or Mojave from Sierra. But note that either option will convert your Sierra boot drive to APFS, and update your Mac's firmware, prior to installation of the OS.

Be sure to make a full bootable backup of your Sierra boot drive before doing the upgrade. Carbon Copy Cloner works well and is my preferred method. I've not yet used Time Machine enough to know it's capability, but many people seem to like and use it.

Also be advised that if you upgrade to Catalina and decide you want to install Mojave instead, you may encounter a Catalina firmware/Mojave OS installer compatibility issue that would prevent you from installing Mojave. So you may want to upgrade to Mojave, which according to what I've read has been overall a lot more stable for people than Catalina. Then you'll still have the option to upgrade to Catalina and beyond.

Per my previous post above, yes, do a clean install. My process was to clean install on a freshly formatted external drive, then use Migration Assistant to copy user data files and settings from the internal drive to the external drive, then boot from the newly created external drive, then reformat the internal drive, then use Carbon Copy Cloner VERSION 5 to clone the new external drive to the internal drive. Carbon Copy Cloner can create a full bootable clone of the new boot drive while booted from it. The software just needs certain permissions to access the entire disk and will guide you with visual prompts on how to do that. It's very easy to setup.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 19, 2020 at 7:31:44 pm

Hi. Starting to make sense. Thanks Patrick.

I've used CCC (yes update to 5 a while back) for many years.
And I'm happy with it. I back up my IMac
as well as all my external FCP and photography drives
I have never used Time Machine.
I think I will in the future once this is set up.
I've heard that Time Machine does full backups in case of a dead internal drive
and you never know when Apple will not let a third party work with the latest update.
But so far I have no problems with CCC.

"Migration Assistant to copy user data files and settings from the internal drive to the external drive..."

This is where I have questions.

Does using Migration Assistant still keep the update clean?

There was a time that was not considered clean by video editors.

Will all my Mail and Messages be put where I had them (folders and so forth) with Migration Assistant update?

Will Aperture still work? Even though its not updated, I still have old photos that were
edited with it. And sometimes I use another app to process RAW and then use Aperture sent by Tiff for certain edits. Less and less but sometimes Aperture brushes or color correction get the job done. Do not want to use a monthly amount for a photo app. And do not want to pay full amount for an update.

Still haven't found a home since Aperture was EOL. I'm going to try On 1.

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Apr 19, 2020 at 8:27:46 pm

[Craig Alan] "Does using Migration Assistant still keep the update clean?"

There are options in Migration Assistant. As long as you only choose User > Documents, and avoid everything else, your clean install will more or less stay that way.

That's what I did with my new MacPro, and it worked out OK. I reported frequent reboots after I first got my new computer, but the frequency of them has reduced significantly. But, that was 10.15.2, and 10.15.4 is the current build.

If you migrate the entirety of the User folder, that will copy over a User Library, and that could contain remnants of your previous OS that you'd rather not bork your new installation.

BTW, last week I saw a "Supplemental" update was available to 10.15.4 that kept the version at 10.15.4. I cloned my drive with SuperDuper, then ran the update. Then, my Red Giant plug-ins became unlicensed, and the RG App Manager app would crash every time I tried to launch it - meaning, I could no longer use my licensed RG effects.

That was unacceptable, so I used my clone to revert back to the prior OS build, and I'm back in business. The potential problem users have now with upgrading is that they have no choice than to update to this "Supplemental" build. I don't know if Red Giant has addressed this yet, or whether this issue is universal, but be forewarned.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro7,1 24-core - 256 GB RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB - 10.15.4 (Warning: Don't do the Supplemental Update!)

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
on Apr 21, 2020 at 7:31:04 pm

Craig,

Not sure what the answer is to your specific questions about Migration Assistant and emails, photos, etc.

If you do a clean install on a dedicated external drive and then use Migration Assistant, you can then test the new install to see if everything came over or not. This method leaves your Sierra boot drive intact and unharmed.

Alternatively, you can clone your Sierra boot drive with CCC to an external drive and then update to your preferred OS on the clone drive. This method also leaves your Sierra boot drive intact and unharmed.

With either method, if something messes up then it only messes up the new OS install on the external drive. You can boot from the new OS install on the external drive and test it out to see if everything is as it should be before committing to it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 24, 2020 at 2:02:13 pm

A problem when copying large files.

https://blog.macsales.com/60773-why-is-my-mac-hanging-when-copying-files-af...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters | oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Apr 24, 2020 at 3:26:45 pm

I've been using ChronoSync for years for file copying. It has an option to do a Verify after copy that compares the copied file to the original. The other thing I like is that you can interrupt a copy process, and resume it later without having to start over again.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro7,1 24-core - 256 GB RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB - 10.15.4 (Warning: Don't do the Supplemental Update!)

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Apr 30, 2020 at 2:23:22 pm

Hi folks,

why do you want to upgrade to catalina?
Is there any benefit?
For my work i can see none, except of running into troubles with a lot of 32bit applications i use.
So stick to Mojave and wait till the next os comes out.
We still run a mac Pro with snow leapard sucessfully.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 30, 2020 at 3:11:28 pm

[Rainer Wirth] "why do you want to upgrade to catalina?
Is there any benefit?"

Some of us have no choice due to the current Mac purchased.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2020 at 3:12:57 pm

[Eric Santiago] "[Rainer Wirth] "why do you want to upgrade to catalina?
Is there any benefit?"

Some of us have no choice due to the current Mac purchased.
"

Precisely. If you get a new Mac, you are pretty much stuck with Catalina.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Apr 30, 2020 at 4:00:28 pm

sorry for you,

then apple has got a problem - a huge one,

theers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 30, 2020 at 4:51:14 pm

[Rainer Wirth] "then apple has got a problem - a huge one,
"

No major problems with a few 2019 Mac Pros here.
Except for the recent Adobe Media Encoder bug that's pissing a lot of Adobe users off.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on May 3, 2020 at 11:36:57 am
Last Edited By Joe Marler on May 3, 2020 at 11:38:55 am

[Oliver Peters] "Catalina, what are your general experiences thus far? I've seen a number of issues posted lately, like frequent reboots.

If you've had bad experiences, are these fresh installs on new machines or migrations/updates from earlier OS versions?"

I have seen this problem on a few Catalina machines, but not all of them:

In the FCPX inspector if I do Storage Locations>Modify Settings, then for media or cache pick a location and create a new folder, the FCPX process will hang on that dialog and require force quit.

Only known workaround is create the new folder first in Finder, then do CMD+I and under Sharing and Permissions, grant read & write to Everyone. After that, designating that existing folder in FCPX for media or cache works. Happens on all disk locations, inc'l Desktop, Documents, Movies, internal drive, external drive, etc. All drives are locally-attached, either Thunderbolt or USB-C, formatted APFS for internal and HFS+ for external. As a test I de-installed Paragon NTFS and SoftRAID but it made no difference.

It is apparently a Catalina-specific permissions problem. I ran Disk Utility First Aid and also granted FCPX full disk access in System Preferences>Security & Privacy, but it made no difference. Also reset FCPX prefs, then totally removed FCPX and re-installed - no difference. The workaround is simple, and it doesn't happen on every machine, but I never saw that on Mojave.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]