APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Bill takes the plunge

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Bill takes the plunge
on Nov 27, 2019 at 5:00:45 pm

with a 16" MacBook Pro

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2229-bill-davis-first-week-with-th...

Be kind. It's Thanksgiving week! ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Bill takes the plunge
on Nov 27, 2019 at 6:29:32 pm

I bought a 15” MBP just 10-days before the 16” was announced, and I was not happy. However, Best Buy let me trade it in for a new 16” model last week. Phew!!!

I’m also quite happy with mine, and pleased that Apple has figured out new ways to make their hardware and software much more automated and seemingly “user aware.” Since I was migrating from one new computer under Catalina to another, the setup process was easy as pie.

One thing I’ve noticed is that both cloning and Time Machine backups under Catalina are much, much slower than the same processes ever were before. I’m not sure what’s up with that, but those are definitely things users should be aware of.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 27, 2019 at 6:32:52 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "One thing I’ve noticed is that both cloning and Time Machine backups under Catalina are much, much slower than the same processes ever were before."

Is this on a fresh Time Machine back-up drive, or one with previous Mojave (and earlier) back-up stages?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 27, 2019 at 7:24:29 pm

All of the above Oliver. It’s a real bummer for me, as I have always been a huge fan of cloning, which gave me a fearless method of trying out new software configurations without any danger of ending up down the river of no return that early adopters often encounter.

So far, I have yet to complete a clone using the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner... I just couldn’t wait the 4 to 5 hours required. I’ll try Super Duper eventually, but I’m not very optimistic. Time Machine also took about two hours to backup only about 225mbs, was is also painfully slow.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 27, 2019 at 7:36:01 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "I just couldn’t wait the 4 to 5 hours required. "

Yikes. Seems like another example of why Catalina is still somewhat half-baked.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 27, 2019 at 8:41:33 pm

There is a terminal hack for speeding up time machine back ups. Basically it involves inviting terminal, pasting in the correct bit of code to unthrottle time machine and bingo . time machine back ups go much faster. I've used it with out any bad results.

I don't have the link but if you ask the google, I'm sure you'll find the link.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 27, 2019 at 8:43:21 pm

But what is Apple's logic in throttling it in the first place?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 27, 2019 at 9:01:11 pm

There's this for SuperDuper!

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/shadedgrey/comments/breaking_th...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 27, 2019 at 10:09:27 pm

I just cloned again using Carbon Copy Cloner and it was much faster this time, though still not as speedy as I am used to. The clone was only 181gb, and it took 57.5-mins to clone to a very fast USB3 thumb drive. I used to be able to clone about twice as fast.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 28, 2019 at 1:39:40 pm

I can’t answer your throttling question. I stumble across this issue with time machine about 2 years ago then found the terminal hack and tried it out. The hack really sped up time machine back ups.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 28, 2019 at 4:15:32 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But what is Apple's logic in throttling it in the first place?
"

Not sure, but I find if I walk away, it gets faster. ☺

My guess it was used that so that your entire USB/WiFi/Whatever bandwidth wasn't sucked up by Time Machine backups so Apple opted for a trickle method. Today, with how fast the SSD and connections are to almost all Apple computers, it would be less of an issue.

As for the speed, I don't know if it has to do with Volume Groups in Catalina, but it might? The system is now separate from the data, (essentially two partitions that look like one) which is kinda cool for future backups, but it might take a while to write to two "separate" volumes.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 28, 2019 at 4:26:18 pm

I think that’s a big part of the issue Jeremy. I read a piece about how tough it was for the engineers at SuperDuper to rewrite their software to conform to the new design of Catalina. The payoff is, as you mention, that the OS never changes, so backups and clones only need to backup the data once the OS is written to the backup drive.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]