APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Dell 49" Curved

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
Dell 49" Curved
on Nov 26, 2019 at 6:25:06 pm

Since we can talk about almost anything here, I figured to ask this ☺
Anyone here looking or have experience with this one?

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-ultrasharp-49-curved-monitor-u4919dw/a...

I have to really old Apple Cinema 30s that are starting to go.
Currently on a Mac Pro 2013 so that might be a factor too.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Dell 49" Curved
on Nov 26, 2019 at 6:47:28 pm

It's a nice display, but you won't get the same color accuracy as with an Apple display if that matters. I have a Dell 27" at home and it's close (after fiddling on my part, forget profiles), but not as close at the older 27" Apple Cinema I use at work.

Nevertheless, the Dell will look very good. Some of the facilities in town have them and like them. They are working with Adobe apps and Resolve.

The thing to remember is that this is like a single screen UI filling the whole width. You don't get the same workspace layouts as with two side-by-side displays.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 26, 2019 at 6:59:28 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The thing to remember is that this is like a single screen UI filling the whole width. You don't get the same workspace layouts as with two side-by-side displays.
"

Wouldnt the Adobe products deal with this best?
We just replaced all our Apple Cinema LEDs (day job) with Dell 32" 4K.
The graphics people haven't complained much but do love the matte finish.
I am holding on to the last Cinema 30" here at work.
Its starting to act like my home 30s :(

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2019 at 7:17:17 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Wouldnt the Adobe products deal with this best?"

I haven't found that to be the case. I used to work with the 30s but find them too big now. The older 27" Apple I have is glossy, but it has richer blacks, which I like. We have several iMacs and iMac Pros around the house and those are completely wrong when it comes to color - at least with the Adobe apps.

What about the new Asus displays?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 26, 2019 at 8:08:48 pm

The question I've always had with curved monitors is do they distort your perception of what's straight vs curved in a meaningful way? When I've looked at curved monitors at the store I've always been aware of the way the UI, GFX, etc., 'bend' when I'm looking at them, but I don't know if that bend 'goes away' (you mind compensates for it) after you've used one for a while. Also, the viewing angle isn't supposed to be as wide as flat monitors (obviously the curve is designed for someone sitting dead center), but that might not be a problem if you don't have clients looking over your shoulder.

When I built my Hack over the summer I decided to replace my monitors too (they were both over 10yrs old) and I looked at curved monitors, but I ended up going with a 4K 43" LG that Costco had at a great price. I'm used to using dual monitors for the GUI (2x27" at my most recent gig, and a 24" and 23" at home) so getting used to one big, 43" screen has taken some time (my 17" b'cast monitor looks very diminutive now), but I'm enjoying the extra vertical real estate.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2019 at 8:21:54 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "but I ended up going with a 4K 43" LG that Costco had at a great price. I'm used to using dual monitors for the GUI (2x27" at my most recent gig, and a 24" and 23" at home) so getting used to one big, 43" screen has taken some time (my 17" b'cast monitor looks very diminutive now), but I'm enjoying the extra vertical real estate."

My preferred layout is actually a large centrally-located display, a smaller secondary display to the left, and then a reference video monitor to the right (similar size to the left display). Sort of an airplane cockpit layout.

The issue I've always had with dual displays - especially as we've gotten to using much larger displays than in the early Avid and FCP legacy days - is that you often tend to scoot your chair over in front of one display or the other. Our main AE artist has a 27" iMP + 27" Dell and he only puts a few panels on the right edge of the left display (Dell). Not even using the full real estate. He fills out the rest with Spotify ☺

- Oliver

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 26, 2019 at 8:52:14 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The issue I've always had with dual displays - especially as we've gotten to using much larger displays than in the early Avid and FCP legacy days - is that you often tend to scoot your chair over in front of one display or the other. Our main AE artist has a 27" iMP + 27" Dell and he only puts a few panels on the right edge of the left display (Dell). Not even using the full real estate. He fills out the rest with Spotify ☺"

Yeah, seating distance becomes an issue. At my last gig I had 3 27" 1440p displays and I l-o-v-e-d it, but they took up a lot of desk space (no monitor arms) and I had to sit about 3ft back from the center display in order to have all three comfortable in my field of view (the two flanking displays were angled in maybe 30 degrees or so).

Similar deal with my 43" at home. It has to be about a yard away which just means I have it positioned all the way at the back of my desk. I use about 70% of the screen for my main app, and then the 30% remaining on the left I use for email/web, scripts, Finder windows, etc., I mainly use PPro at home so the extra height gives me plenty of room to pancake.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2019 at 9:23:38 pm

Of course, Eric could simply wait and buy a couple of the Pro Display XDR monitors (stands optional).

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Nov 26, 2019 at 9:52:08 pm

I've been using a single BenQ PD2720U since August and I can't say enough about it. Will be adding another in the spring.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 28, 2019 at 8:25:50 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Of course, Eric could simply wait and buy a couple of the Pro Display XDR monitors (stands optional)."

Ha! Well, I am in line for a new Mac Pro, just hoping the base price drops a little.
I doubt we will ever buy a Pro Display.
I need new lenses at day job and dont want to tip the budget scale ;)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 26, 2019 at 11:45:44 pm

I have a 34" curved LG. It's awesome. Don't even notice the bend, doesn't interfere with lines and alignments. I do wish it was bigger, but it was the biggest available at the time.

I would love this monitor. Let us know how it goes! ;)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 27, 2019 at 12:52:42 am

I'm taking advantage of the % off which surprisingly in Australia seems greater than the US deal as it includes tax & delivery. I don't know what Black Friday is all about or why it applies in Australia but it is the best time to buy gear and software here too.

I'll let you know how it goes with Resolve. USBc & 3 ports are handy as I have the computers in a machine room.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 27, 2019 at 1:54:33 am

[Michael Gissing] "I'll let you know how it goes with Resolve. USBc & 3 ports are handy as I have the computers in a machine room."

Sweet!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 28, 2019 at 8:32:13 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I'll let you know how it goes with Resolve. USBc & 3 ports are handy as I have the computers in a machine room."

Would love to hear your findings ☺

Just found this Samsung Ultrawide that does 144MHz at a lower res.
I guess 60MHz is a bit low but love that 5120 x 1440 size :)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 29, 2019 at 4:34:30 pm

Here is a vs page between Dell and Samsung:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/dell-u4919dw-vs-samsung-crg9/7...

https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/c49rg9/

Up here (Canada), I found it for less than 1K USD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]