APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

New Mac Pro news

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
New Mac Pro news
on Nov 13, 2019 at 3:57:12 pm

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2224-apple-announces-december-laun...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: New Mac Pro news
on Nov 13, 2019 at 6:44:28 pm

when I see reports from Adobe, Blackmagic, Cinema 4D, and AVID about how amazingly fast the new Mac Pro is, and I see hardware being shown by AMD and Promise for the new Mac Pro, then I will get excited.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 13, 2019 at 7:14:37 pm

When I can actually order it and it lands then I play with it for a few months then I'll be excited ;)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 13, 2019 at 7:34:58 pm

[Bob Zelin] "and Promise for the new Mac Pro"

You mean like this?

https://www.promise.com/us/Promotion/PegasusStorage

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 13, 2019 at 8:20:03 pm

The rack mount option is quite interesting for facilities that get a few of these machines. Rack them to together with shared storage in close proximity. Keeps the actual edit rooms nice and quiet. Back to the standard facility layout that many may still want.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2019 at 8:32:24 pm

[Oliver Peters] " Keeps the actual edit rooms nice and quiet. Back to the standard facility layout that many may still want."

But without optical TB3 cables, how do you extend Keyboard, Computer Monitor, Bluetooth, etc?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 13, 2019 at 8:41:12 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "But without optical TB3 cables, how do you extend Keyboard, Computer Monitor, Bluetooth, etc?"

Get creative ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 13, 2019 at 10:38:48 pm

I’m assured by our distributor that these can support TB3 speeds of 40GB/s at up to 50m.

https://globaldistribution.com/brands/corning/

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Dom Silverio
on Nov 14, 2019 at 3:52:05 pm

[Tom Sefton] "I’m assured by our distributor that these can support TB3 speeds of 40GB/s at up to 50m.

https://globaldistribution.com/brands/corning/"

Careful. The limited feedback I have seen on those have not been great. I use the USB 3 version of it and it has been OK. A couple of them died on me already.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2019 at 4:43:05 pm

We have the Thunderbolt 2 versions of these cables and they have been all good, zero complaints.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 14, 2019 at 5:42:53 pm

Here is the Corning website -
https://www.corning.com/optical-cables-by-corning/worldwide/en/products/thu...

there is no mention of Thunderbolt 3 optical cables. At NAB 2019, Corning showed these cables, and they went with me to the QNAP booth, where we plugged in a Thunderbolt 3 Mac Pro to a QNAP TVS-872XT using a long Thunderbolt 3 optical cable, and it worked perfectly. So I have no idea of why Corning is delaying this product - because I saw it, and I saw it working.

There will be some "political" answer behind this.

And with that said - how many "post facilities" exist with actual machine rooms anymore ?
With the exception 10 places in LA, and 4 places in NY, are we going to see racks of new Mac Pro's, and giant shared storage servers feeding out to 20 - 40 edit rooms ? Remember, this is 2019.

Excuse me, why I go and cry in the corner now.
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 14, 2019 at 5:45:24 pm

[Bob Zelin] "And with that said - how many "post facilities" exist with actual machine rooms anymore ? "

I suspect you'll see that in some broadcast facilities, but more likely in large engineering environments or data centers.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht
on Nov 20, 2019 at 8:37:18 am

[Oliver Peters] "I suspect you'll see that in some broadcast facilities, but more likely in large engineering environments or data centers."

I recently banned all fans from my workspace and stored away all of the noisy stuff as well. Just outside the edit room in a cooled rack.

Mac Pro, Jellyfish Mobile, Promise Raid, and TB outboard gear are all out there - thus no need to extend TB3. The only signals/cables going back into the suite are: USB 3.0 extender for all things USB, 10Gb Network cable for all things on the network, HDMI cables for the two 4K work monitors, HDMI for the 4K grading Monitor and the MADI Link cable to bring the audio into the room.

Working has been pleasant again ever since...

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 20, 2019 at 1:43:18 pm

[Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht] "USB 3.0 extender for all things USB, 10Gb Network cable for all things on the network, HDMI cables for the two 4K work monitors, HDMI for the 4K grading Monitor and the MADI Link cable to bring the audio into the room."

I think the reason to extend TB3 is because with one or two cables, you can deliver all that data and capability to your desks without having to run a separate cable for each data requirement.

You can break TB3 out to nearly any spigot you need and then keep everything else back on the rack.

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht
on Nov 20, 2019 at 5:30:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " think the reason to extend TB3 is because with one or two cables, you can deliver all that data and capability to your desks without having to run a separate cable for each data requirement. "

Yes, that makes sense. We found that we wanted to stay as flexible as possible. We use a Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI 8K HDR for the grading monitor for example, which get's its SDI signal from a UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3. Those are both noisy units as are most BMD products with fans. With TB in the room we would have to pull all that gear back inside.

In addition we did some math and the separate cables were much cheaper than throwing in a 15 meter optical TB cable.

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2019 at 5:52:59 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Nov 14, 2019 at 5:54:33 pm

Maybe not machine rooms, but perhaps machine closets, are more common these days.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 14, 2019 at 6:45:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Maybe not machine rooms, but perhaps machine closets, are more common these days."

We did away with our rack room (day job) for our studio.
The Mac Pro sits in the same room now as audio/video gear (Avid, ProTools, focusrite, etc...).
However, Im going back old school with my home studio.
Built a 6 x 12 space that will house all noisy drives/units ☺
ETA on studio...well thats all in the city permit f*ckers hands now :P
Sorry Im still dealign with it .

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 14, 2019 at 7:43:51 pm

They really took "cheese grater" to the nth degree. Not sure I love the look. Probably does belong in a server closet!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 14, 2019 at 7:58:29 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "They really took "cheese grater" to the nth degree. Not sure I love the look. Probably does belong in a server closet!"

Kinda agree but most of my non-video colleagues are raving about the look.
Mostly ladies, I know that sounds sexist but they think it looks neat.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 14, 2019 at 8:18:36 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Nov 14, 2019 at 8:18:59 pm

A bit more of a techie look

https://www.provideocoalition.com/thoughts-on-apples-new-16-macbookpro-and-...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 14, 2019 at 9:10:48 pm

[Bob Zellin]"And with that said - how many "post facilities" exist with actual machine rooms anymore ? "

I'm in a one hundred year old cottage in a country town at the bottom of the earth in Tasmania and I have all my computers rack mounted in a machine room, cabled through to the control room. If still makes sense to have all the gear together and patchable. My obsolete HDCam and Digibeta are still cabled in the bottom of the rack.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 15, 2019 at 1:12:38 am

hello Michael -
you have just identified your age.

You are as old as we are !

You are in Tasmania. Please tell me exactly what is a Tasmanian Devil ? And do you own one ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 15, 2019 at 3:24:54 am

I'm proudly 62 and refuse to be wooed by gimmicks like editing, mixing or grading on a laptop in a cafe. I love dedicated control panels and proper monitoring, rack mounted powerful computers I build myself and post environments that translate to cinema, home theatre, web & phone.

Tasmanian devils are carnivorous marsupials (pouched). They have the greatest mammal bite strength to size ratio. They are wild creatures and critically endangered, suffering from a spread of a rare transmissible facial tumour disease. I don't own one but when I was living up the road on a 40 acre farm we had one living in a nearby gully.

They don't sound much like Mel Blanc's cartoon character but they do have a sound that made the early colonists think there were devils under the floorboards.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 15, 2019 at 2:31:26 pm

[Michael Gissing] "They don't sound much like Mel Blanc's cartoon character but they do have a sound that made the early colonists think there were devils under the floorboards."

Thanks, Michael, most pleasurable read to date here :)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 16, 2019 at 12:03:29 am
Last Edited By Bob Zelin on Nov 16, 2019 at 12:07:45 am

I agree. I enjoyed Michael's post more than 99% of the crap I have read here recently.
If it were not participation from real professional people like Tony, Eric, Michael, Oliver, and the rest (you know who you are), I would not be here any more.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 16, 2019 at 6:09:22 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I agree. I enjoyed Michael's post more than 99% of the crap I have read here recently.
If it were not participation from real professional people like Tony, Eric, Michael, Oliver, and the rest (you know who you are), I would not be here any more.
"

Lovely post Bob, thanks for that.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Nov 15, 2019 at 4:49:35 pm

Very cool post Michael.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Nov 16, 2019 at 6:21:30 pm

And I have my machine room thanks to Mr. Bob Zelin. Still churning away in a separate edit suite away from the noise and heat.

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 16, 2019 at 10:18:03 am

Interesting.

I saw them working with TB3 accessories at IBC but the website blurb is vague at best when describing their ability to work with TB3. TB2 seems ok, but I have directly asked the question to Global Distribution in the UK who are the distributors for GTech and Corning and they have said that 40GB/s at 50m is guaranteed.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]