APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Resolve 16.1 presentation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Resolve 16.1 presentation
on Sep 7, 2019 at 9:36:40 pm

Paul Saccone at LACPUG. Just posted today.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Resolve 16.1 presentation
on Sep 7, 2019 at 10:53:37 pm

Thanks Oliver. Although I use Resolve mostly to grade, it is always nice to see new features demoed to gauge relevance.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 7, 2019 at 11:03:28 pm

There's a lot of focus on the new Cut Page, but later in he covers new Fairlight functions and Object Removal in the Color Page.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 8, 2019 at 11:23:31 am

Resolve is moving forward so quickly, I've been very impressed by it

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 9, 2019 at 9:15:51 am

The only downside at the moment seems to be that it's rather picky on codecs. I have PPro CS6 and Edius also on this machine, and though they are old now, it's sometime easier to get a quick edit job done with one of those, each of which will play pretty much everything

Bernie

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2019 at 2:01:08 pm

Other than the cut page, it seems to be a lot of feature catch up - object removal, morph efx, auto music ducking are all recent Ppro features. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.

As for the cut page - well I still think the "boring filter" is idiotic, but i do like the idea of a flash frame locator, so there you go. The "sync" editor is nothing I would ever use, but I'm guessing the regular edit page has a real, full-featured multicam function, so I guess this might be a useful feature for someone.

The performance on a laptop was impressive, but then again it was a demo.

Thanks for posting.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 9, 2019 at 7:13:43 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Sep 9, 2019 at 7:19:50 pm

Herb, I think the Boring Alert or whatever you wanna call it, is definitely speaking to a core audience of users that Resolve is being targeted towards, that is YouTube and Instagram hosts and maybe also gamers. Those content makers have audiences with particularly short attention spans and so this tool can help the editor keep a particular twitchy audience in mind when cutting.

I do a lot of programming where that alert would be worn out by lunch time, lol. But in the case of editing long lecture videos, it is mimicking what I'm already doing in my formatting. That is, I'm listening to the lecturer and trying to find and enhance a rhythm in their delivery, then punctuating that rhythm using shot changes or re-framings or taking a full screen graphic, or breaking it up into a diptych. The brain refreshes it's attention to a visual, every time the eye catches a change of some sort. "Shaky-cam" is one way to do that by constantly wiggling the POV, but that wears out the brain after a very short time, so you have to try to not over-use that.

The Resolve boring feature though isn't sentient and is only an adjustable shot timer. If you slavishly cut on every tenth second, unmotivated by the narrative flow, that's as bad as shaky-cam IMO. So I don't hate this feature as much as you might, I consider it just an advisory tool, to use where you as an editor think it's appropriate.

And this feature isn't completely new, either: I recall a Microsoft prototype AI Automated editing app that was designed for very casual consumer video-takers, who wanted their rough home movie junk polished up; say, a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. The demo I saw had some face detection ability and would cut at places where new faces were detected, but it also had a "boring shot timer" that would cut away and fast-forward-advance to something further along in the timeline, when a shot stayed "too long" on one subject or framing. Not bad if all you have is b-roll... very bad if your video is oral history and someone doing a long monologue to camera - that would not cut well under this paradigm. I think it also automatically deleted jump cuts and obvious camera bumps. So we're not in danger of being replaced by AI quite yet. But we can leverage some AI tools to streamline the workflows we DO want. And I think that's all this particular option is about: use it if it suits your needs, ignore it if it's not appropriate.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2019 at 8:42:44 pm
Last Edited By Herb Sevush on Sep 9, 2019 at 8:46:26 pm

My problem with the "Boring Alert" isn't the concept, which is bad enough, but with the fact that it is totally unnecessary.

All timelines have a "Boring Alert" built in, all you have to do is notice the longest uninterrupted cuts on your uppermost video track - ta da - and cut them up. it's called using your eyes - so where is the need for a separate function key to show you what you can already see at a glance.

Which is why the "flash frame finder" has some value - because 1 and 2 frame cuts are nearly invisible on most timelines.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2019 at 10:27:31 pm

[Herb Sevush].."it seems to be a lot of feature catch up - object removal, morph efx, auto music ducking are all recent Ppro features."

Smooth cut/ morph has been in for well over a year. Not sure why that was demoed other than to show it works well. Object removal is fairly new. The demo was more to show how to set it up using the node structure and create the clean plate. I think a lot of editors just didn't know how easy it was to track and drive.

Same with the music ducking. Using the dynamics on the Fairlight page with side chaining (what they call listen) has been in since Fairlight was introduced, again over a year ago. Same deal that editors might not have been shown how to drive it.

The main updates have been on the Cut page. The others aren't catch-ups, but reminders and mini tutorials.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 9, 2019 at 11:55:53 pm

[Michael Gissing] " The others aren't catch-ups, but reminders and mini tutorials."

Isn't that a bit of the inherent danger of such a powerful all-in-one app? Not knowing what all it can do, even if you are a regular user?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 10, 2019 at 7:24:58 am

Most software these days has features that even regular users don't know about. Largely because they offer more than one way to do the same thing. Resolve probably has more features than any other NLE so that is not really a problem but a characteristic to be mindful of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]