APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Is this too much to ask for?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Is this too much to ask for?
on Aug 23, 2019 at 12:09:02 pm

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/cto893...

The sweet spot for my kind of editing, an itch that Apple won't let me scratch. The mini comes up short, the Imac pro is thousands more for a screen that i don't want or need, The All New cheesegrater is a Xeon monster that is complete overkill. My client is all Mac all the time, so the Dell is a non starter. Oh well, the Yanks are in first place, so who's complaining.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Is this too much to ask for?
on Aug 23, 2019 at 12:43:02 pm

yup. Same with Puget Systems, and HP Z4. Both nice (and of course, the custom gaming computers at a similar price).

I still think the new Mac Pro would be ok, IF they charged $5999 and it could do at least what an iMac Pro could do for that $5999. But of course, it can't. So these PC's just look great.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Aug 23, 2019 at 3:41:06 pm

Apple could definitely use a "Mac" category of computers. An iMac with out the screen, a MacMini that's 4X larger but with replaceable dGPU / drives.

The cost should in the iMac-range but given no screen you should get way more bang for the buck. Defiantly Core-based, not Xeon-based. Or possibly AMD-based but then Thunderbolt is an issue.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 23, 2019 at 11:11:04 pm

There is a way, but it involves cheaing. Hackintosh. I have a three year old one that still runs strong, cost me $1700 to build, and specs match iMac Pro. Before the end of the year, I'll upgrade some hardware (including logic board, RAM, processor, GPU) for around $1500 and be a machine that's between an iMacPro and new MacPro. But cheaper, better expandibility, cheaper, and cheaper.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 24, 2019 at 7:27:03 pm

Which OS version are you able to run?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 25, 2019 at 6:21:13 am

Any. I'm on High Sierra, friend of mine who got me into this is running Mojave. Another editor I work with just built one and is running Mojave. When a new OS comes out, the Hackintosh crowd is typically able to get it working in fairly short order on Hack parts.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 25, 2019 at 8:31:55 am

When I had my Hackintoshes, I used https://www.tonymacx86.com/ for ever updated current info.

Although they recommend specific builds, I didn't have those parts and just went ahead with what I had. The first one was just my PC - I set it up so that if an external drive running MacOS was powered it would be a Mac, and if not it was a PC. After a while I found I needed both at the same time, so I purpose build a Hackintosh using a KVM switch - actually two, for dual monitors.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 25, 2019 at 8:40:44 am

Don't know how to edit these posts, perhaps the update will fix it. Should read -

".....so I purpose build a Hackintosh, using a KVM switch - actually two - for dual monitors."

A disadvantage of trying to follow TonyMac recommended builds is that things change very quickly, and the ones you see on the website are likely to have been superceded by the time you get to them. My experience from years ago suggests that it probably doesn't matter that much - pick a motherboard, processor and memory to suit the budget.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 25, 2019 at 11:59:43 am

What do you do for Thunderbolt ports?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 25, 2019 at 4:06:22 pm

[Oliver Peters] "What do you do for Thunderbolt ports?"

With the introduction of Intel's Z390 chipset, TB3 is readily available on PC motherboards.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-z390-designare-core-i9-9900k-...

For the record, TB3 has been available on PC motherboards for quite some time. I've had a gigabyte TB3 board for nearly two years.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 25, 2019 at 4:30:55 pm

What are they?

Sorry - please excuse my not-quite-real ignorance, my times with Macs and Hackintoshes were a while back now.

In the world in which I'm now teaching I don't need superfast technology, but nevertheless I have plenty of SATA 3 drive space in my current generic PC case, and 2 x M2 availability on my Gigabyte motherboard. A 2TB NVME drive costs under £200, but I haven't actually bought one yet - I expect I will soon, just to try it out.

.........oh, and also it has an internal Thunderbolt connector, because I just checked. I assume that it connects to this - https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GC-Thunderbolt-2-rev-10#ov

So I suppose I could go really fast if I have to - but of course, not being on a Mac, I don't need much in the way of external high speed connections .

Bernie

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 25, 2019 at 4:50:58 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "but of course, not being on a Mac, I don't need much in the way of external high speed connections .
"

Not sure what that means. The need for fast external connections is ubiquitous.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 26, 2019 at 10:45:47 am

Of course it is, but in the Mac world you do tend to be a bit restricted when it comes to attaching drives, and that's why Thunderbolt is used a lot, but in the PC world is just a minor connector on the latest motherboards - that I didn't know I had till yesterday.

I'm just a teacher these days, my times of being surrounded by machinery and getting stuff on BBC1 in five minutes time are in the past, but my ordinary PC has room for six SATA 3 drives and 2 M2 drives. I could use the Thunderbolt port to attach more, or connect up monitors, but I don't need to, so it will probably never be used.

Bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]