APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Ain't really a debate--rendering video?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
Ain't really a debate--rendering video?
on Aug 9, 2019 at 5:33:36 am

I figure (and my wife laughs at me for it) I've spend 7 years just rendering video. What say ye? How many years have you spent rendering video? ha

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Ain't really a debate--rendering video?
on Aug 9, 2019 at 6:16:51 am

Since 94 I would say a good 10 years for me.
Now it would be more if you include 3D rendering as well as After Effects.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 9, 2019 at 10:41:28 am

Hardly ever now.
I’ve had background rendering turned off on FCP -X for the last 6 years or so and just let it happen during my Share cycle if it’s needed at all.
Most of my output is direct to Frame.io or Vimeo Pro, so those will handle the versioning transcodes.
Maybe 30% of my work is now in 4K or above and sometimes I set my my Mac to do a large file Upload which involves rendering, but typically I just take a break and get coffee until it finishes.
I’m sure it would be a different story if I was typically doing lots of complex composites or lots of layers, but that’s an exception, not a rule for me.
So really, I haven’t even thought much about rendering for a few years now.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2019 at 11:55:25 am

No routine renders here with either FCPX or Premiere Pro. The only tool I ever run background renders with are Resolve.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Aug 9, 2019 at 12:17:41 pm

Years.

High res red outputs to prores masters are a daily thing. New Mac Pro and increased raw performance can’t come soon enough.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 9, 2019 at 2:23:51 pm

"Render, render, render, mor'n I can remember, keep them frames a rendering, RAW files!...."

Watching lack-of-progress-bars is a daily thing for me, and I know that it can waste up to two hours a day of my time.

The part that irks me most is that most of that time is caused by having to compress everything I make to make it squeeze thru the 2-gig limit of our FTP system and get to clients for approvals. I try to beg the IT people to raise the cap, but no luck. Far as I can tell, the limit is arbitrary, makes it all the more maddening.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Aug 10, 2019 at 2:57:25 pm

Decades ago (ouch) I had a 3D graphics instructor (post grad for me, ouch again) that said to the class on the first day of class, "Rule Number 1 is Never Ever Watch a Render, go do something else! Do NOT sit and stare at the frames build." Lived by that rule in all things render-y since. :D

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-Premiere-FCPX-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 12, 2019 at 4:02:23 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Watching lack-of-progress-bars is a daily thing for me, and I know that it can waste up to two hours a day of my time."

That's a lot of wasted time. Are you editing long-form videos? With a newer system, renders shouldn't be taking up that much time.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 12, 2019 at 5:27:26 pm

Render time is a healthy "smoke break." A good reason to get up from your chair and walk about. Maybe hit the loo. Go talk to your post super, chat up another editor. Answer a few questions on a forum. Eat lunch.

Exports I tend to do at night when I'm done. OR... I do them and go get lunch or read. Watch a cat video, wishing I could make a cat video that got more than 9 hits...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 13, 2019 at 2:08:12 am

in this day and age - not sure what you even need to render? A couple audio effects in Avid like D-verb and Time Expansion still require a hard render which happens in the background for me, but other than that - nothing I do requires rendering.

Exporting sure - but has been years since Ive waited for something to render before I could play something back.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 15, 2019 at 5:20:23 pm

Just a general observation.

These days, I try to examine the steps in my most regular workflows as often as I can to ask if the way I've been doing them for a long time is STILL the best way to keep doing them.

It usually happens when I watch someone else accomplish the same processes better and faster.

I've been caught WAY too many times realizing that not only was there a much more efficient and faster way of doing something, but (annoyingly) I could have been doing that new way for an embarrassingly long time if I'd just been wise enough to look for the improvement.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Aug 17, 2019 at 8:24:05 am

[Neil Goodman] "in this day and age - not sure what you even need to render?"

Maybe I don't know what "render" means--although I'm pretty sure I think I do.

What does render mean?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]