APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Filmic Fest

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Oliver Peters
Filmic Fest
on Jul 25, 2019 at 2:59:22 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jul 25, 2019 at 3:01:12 pm

https://www.filmicpro.com/filmicfest/

Sounds like something that might interest folks here. Especially anyone in contact with young, budding filmmakers.

And BTW - Apple should have been involved with this :(

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Filmic Fest
on Jul 25, 2019 at 8:12:57 pm

Great idea - big fan of Filmic Pro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 26, 2019 at 7:52:29 pm

[Oliver Peters] "And BTW - Apple should have been involved with this :("

Could it be that Filmic Pro is not Apple specific? It runs on Android as well. They're not Apple-specific.
Dec 2015
https://www.filmicpro.com/2015/12/24/filmic-pro-now-available-on-android/

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 26, 2019 at 8:02:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Could it be that Filmic Pro is not Apple specific?"

I realize that. It wouldn't have prevented Apple from participating or offering prices as part of the promotion. Especially given the fact that the high-profile projects that have used Filmic Pro have done so with iPhones. But typically Apple doesn't like to be part of something that's not dominated by Apple.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jul 26, 2019 at 8:20:36 pm

Well, now you've done it...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 26, 2019 at 8:39:52 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Well, now you've done it..."

I don't mean that as a slam, although that's maybe how it sounded. My point is that historically Apple tends not to be part of things officially where they are one of many vendors. I think in this case, it's a mistake. In many ways this type of event is targeted at exactly the types of users they want for MacBook Pros and FCPX. So they opt not to participate, but Adobe does. I think that's a missed opportunity.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 28, 2019 at 6:32:48 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But typically Apple doesn't like to be part of something that's not dominated by Apple."

Its really just the use of the term "dominated." Which everyone understands is pretty perjorative.

The wider point, however, is definitely accurate.

We have to look no farther than the unpleasant and financially costly experience Apple just went through here in San Diego with Intel in court over the licensing of 5G modem technologies.

In the short run, Qualcomm apparently prevailed — setting with Apple licensing Qualcomm's existing 5G Modems for the next gen or two of iPhones.

But then a week later Apple buys Intels wireless modem teams and IP - and the industry has to accept that clearly part of Apple's strategy continues to be to OWN what makes iPhones, iPhones.

I suppose you could call that a desire to "dominate" - but you could also just call it a sensible vertical integration strategy, the type of which companies at this level pursue all the time.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 29, 2019 at 1:42:04 pm

You may not have noticed it, but one of the prizes in this contest is an iPad Pro which, IMO, is worth more than a 1-year CC subscription (-:

It looks like Apple puts more public efforts in video education rather than in contests. One example of this is "Chicago Summer Stories", shot on iPhones (with Filmic Pro and other peripherals) and edited with Final Cut Pro: https://lumaforge.com/portfolio/summer-stories.

This is much more than just a contest. As my good friend Sam puts it: "Chicago Summer Stories intends to emphasize iteration, practical knowledge, critical thinking, and collaboration with lightweight easy to use filmmaking tools… basically, they get a crash course in how to make a movie with iPhones, peripherals that all cost $300 or less, and editing in Final Cut Pro X": http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2113-a-modern-approach-to-video-ed...

The first of these events was in 2018, they just wrapped a new series. An organization like this requires much more financial and human input than just sponsoring a contest. But I think it is more valuable for young storytellers, and it looks like Apple is very happy with where this is going.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 29, 2019 at 1:55:55 pm

[Ronny Courtens] " one of the prizes in this contest is an iPad Pro"

Interesting, although Apple is not listed as a sponsor.

[Ronny Courtens] "One example of this is "Chicago Summer Stories""

Definitely a good effort.

Thanks,
Oliver

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 31, 2019 at 4:31:30 pm

I like the FilmicPro app and guys involved with it. I use it for submitting to Stock when I don't have a DSLR or other camera around.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]