APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

September could be interesting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
September could be interesting
on Jun 24, 2019 at 11:26:01 pm

Add to the Mac Pro release rumor - a 16" MBP rumor

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/24/new-16-inch-macbook-pro-rumored-to-launch-in...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: September could be interesting
on Jun 25, 2019 at 5:49:41 am

Unfortunately they'll make it thinner than the 15" so even though it's bigger, the total volume inside the laptop will be smaller thus necessitating even greater thermal throttling. 😉

On a more serious note, I know a lot of people miss the 17"s. I personally never had one because I didn't want to lug something around that big.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 25, 2019 at 11:43:56 am

I used to miss the 17" but now I don't think it is as necessary.

And you may be joking about the thinness and thermal throttling, but you might be spot on.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 25, 2019 at 12:06:06 pm

Depending on screen resolution and bezel thinness, the 16" model could easily be a match for - or better than - the older 17" (in terms of screen real estate).

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 25, 2019 at 2:10:32 pm

Andrew writes -
I personally never had one because I didn't want to lug something around that big.

I never understood this mindset. When you are in the video business, and you do a shoot, you have a TON of gear that has to be moved around - your camera, lenses, tripod, batteries, chargers, cables, outboard recorder, outboard monitor, etc, etc.

If you are in post production, you have your computer, but you also have your monitors, speakers, dock, AJA or Blackmagic or AVID IO boxes, scopes, drives, etc, etc.

If you are a DIT on set, you have your cart with all your crap on it, your card readers, dock, drives, etc. etc. plus outboard gear for the client to see the shots on a monitor.

And if you are an editor - you not only bring your laptop, but ALL THE OTHER STUFF - which certainly means at least lugging your drives around, headphones (if you are not using real speakers), and other stuff, like monitors, I/O boxes, etc that is necessary to do your job.

So please explain the mindset of "I just want my 15" laptop in a light case, and that's it". Exactly where do you edit with this equipment ? At Starbucks ?

The definition of all these trade shows, and being a pro is OUR GEAR - all the hardware, all the software, knowing all the tricks, and owning all the toys, that a "YouTuber" with their iPhone and Mac Book (and a free WiFi connection). cannot compete against. So adding the extra "inch" - exactly how does that make your life more miserable.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 25, 2019 at 2:33:21 pm

[Bob Zelin] "If you are in post production, you have your computer, but you also have your monitors, speakers, dock, AJA or Blackmagic or AVID IO boxes, scopes, drives, etc, etc. "

Yeah, I don't lug those around either. I keep them on a desk. Or the company I work for keeps them on one of their desks. Weird, I know. 😉

Laptops for me are primarily personal/secondary computers, not editing computers.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 25, 2019 at 2:49:06 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Laptops for me are primarily personal/secondary computers, not editing computers."

Yes, but for many others, they are the primary editing tool. For example, most of the videos people cut at press events and conference videos on-site are cut using laptops. So it becomes an issue of screen real estate. How can you best manage the UI on the small screen? But it certainly is a preference thing, as some editors also use the 13" models in the field. OTOH, I've also seen some who are willing to lug around an iMac Pro in a bag as sort of a "transportable" ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 25, 2019 at 2:56:08 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Yes, but for many others, they are the primary editing tool. "

Exactly, which is why I said I know many people missed the 17" after Apple EOL'd them, just not me personally. ;)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 25, 2019 at 5:38:19 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I never understood this mindset. When you are in the video business, and you do a shoot, you have a TON of gear that has to be moved around - your camera, lenses, tripod, batteries, chargers, cables, outboard recorder, outboard monitor, etc, etc.

If you are in post production, you have your computer, but you also have your monitors, speakers, dock, AJA or Blackmagic or AVID IO boxes, scopes, drives, etc, etc.

If you are a DIT on set, you have your cart with all your crap on it, your card readers, dock, drives, etc. etc. plus outboard gear for the client to see the shots on a monitor.

And if you are an editor - you not only bring your laptop, but ALL THE OTHER STUFF - which certainly means at least lugging your drives around, headphones (if you are not using real speakers), and other stuff, like monitors, I/O boxes, etc that is necessary to do your job.
"

Haha, I tell ya, a few gigs I had to do all of the above.
I own a RED kit, lighting, DIT and of course VFX to boot.
My little Ford Ranger couldn't handle it anymore so I had given up doing it all.
Thank goodness for Pelican cases :)

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jun 26, 2019 at 6:05:52 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I never understood this mindset. When you are in the video business, and you do a shoot, you have a TON of gear that has to be moved around - your camera, lenses, tripod, batteries, chargers, cables, outboard recorder, outboard monitor, etc, etc."

Definitely true for some uses. But I find it is just barely possible to edit on an airline even with a 15" laptop. It won't lay flat and you have to tip it up towards yourself on most seats. I think the 16" will be fine if they reduce the bezel. And I'll likely get one when it is time to upgrade. But there's almost no way to use the classic 17" with modern aircraft seating space.

And yes, I have been known to edit at Starbucks when I'm on the road and don't have anywhere else to go.

Of course my preference is always to edit with two 4K monitors in the office. But there are times it's not possible. Besides the fact if space is no issue, I'd take a 15" laptop with my iPad as a second monitor over a single 17" any day.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 26, 2019 at 7:33:32 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 26, 2019 at 7:47:17 pm

Maybe for a “final edit” — maybe not.
I get a ton of work done while traveling with a simple laptop/iPad/USB hard drive rig like this.
Footage review and keywording.
Audio sweetening.
Even base grading and limited color correction that I can proof and perfect back in the studio.
I’m about to get on a train to LA in 45 minutes.
On the trip there and back tomorrow, I need to master two radio spots (Hooray for Auditions for helping me manage hundreds of line reading alternates!) - and organize and tag a 4K ProRes RAW video shoot for a financial institution from last week.

And I expect no issues with my MacBook Pro, as usual.

It’s just a different mindset today.

YMMV.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 26, 2019 at 7:50:20 pm

[Bill Davis] "Whoops. I see that Photo from a train trip about 9 months ago is flipped. I’ll fix it later if I have time. Lunch awaits before my train departs!)"

Are you sure the train didn't derail? ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 26, 2019 at 8:05:08 pm

And speaking of September, the Apple FCPX page has been updated to mention some "coming in Fall" features. Mostly what we know from WWDC, like optimization for Metal and the XDR display. The screen shot does show mask qualifier controls on the color wheels page.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters | oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jun 27, 2019 at 5:34:24 pm

lets hope they put some ports back in USB - SD Drive -- HDMI out...and remove that solution in search of a problem - the touch bar

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 29, 2019 at 6:35:02 pm

[Andy Field] "lets hope they put some ports back in USB - SD Drive -- HDMI out."

It would be a stupid move for Apple to add USB-A ports for a 2019 laptop.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jun 28, 2019 at 11:12:12 am

[Oliver Peters] "The screen shot does show mask qualifier controls on the color wheels page."

Interesting. However it doesn't show a major needed improvement, which is the ability to crop from within a color effect. This forces a workflow where you must hop in and out of the color effect many times to crop/uncrop while checking the vector scope. Maybe they will eventually enable this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]