APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Is It Time To Reconsider Final Cut Pro X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Fraiberg
Is It Time To Reconsider Final Cut Pro X?
on May 5, 2019 at 12:39:57 am

Oliver Peters presents a good case in this article. Factual and objective writing is why I've been following Oliver for years.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/it-is-time-to-reconsider-fina...

- Gerry Fraiberg
Videographer | Editor | Photographer | Voice Over Artist.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Is It Time To Reconsider Final Cut Pro X?
on May 5, 2019 at 1:32:04 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on May 5, 2019 at 7:09:11 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you are having a great weekend.

(EDIT 5/5: A bit more content, clarification, and a bunch of links added today.)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 5, 2019 at 3:42:46 am

Link not working

Doug D

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2019 at 3:49:03 am

This link should work
It is time to reconsider Final Cut Pro X?

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 5, 2019 at 9:46:31 pm

Thanks!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on May 5, 2019 at 4:33:17 am

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/it-is-time-to-reconsider-fina...

How's that one? I haven't posted for a while, so I'm a little rusty on links. :-)

- Gerry Fraiberg
Videographer | Editor | Photographer | Voice Over Artist.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 5, 2019 at 9:47:49 pm

Works, thanks for posting this. Kudos Oliver, a good overview of where FCPX fits in your "toolset."

Doug D

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on May 5, 2019 at 6:19:51 pm

[Gerry Fraiberg] "Factual and objective writing is why I've been following Oliver for years."

+10 to this! Thank you for this article, Oliver. Couldn't agree more.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 6, 2019 at 12:37:56 pm

I too am perplexed by lack of adoption in local broadcast and news production in the U.S. Speed is paramount to them and their budgets have been decimated by lower and declining ad revenue. Except for big markets, salaries are low - leading to less experienced employees.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 6, 2019 at 1:00:08 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on May 6, 2019 at 1:06:48 pm

Ronny, Doug - thanks.

Brett - I would agree. Whatever I feel about X's suitability for certain projects, I'm unequivocal about its speed in fast turnaround projects like news stories. Whenever I've cut onsite on projects (usually corporate conferences and recaps), FCPX is my go-to tool. There's no comparison in speed to delivery between X and Premiere (or MC) in these situations.

The basic timeline structure of A-roll with soundbites and VO and then cutaway B-roll shots above is perfectly designed for news packages IMHO.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 6, 2019 at 4:03:05 pm

While I'm an FCPX devotee and an Apple fan, I wanted to point out that the workflow of creating templated effects and graphics and publishing them to FCPX can be mirrored, more or less, by doing those things in AfterEffects and Premiere with dynamic linking. So I don't know that that particular argument is all that strong.

I'm working with both, these days, and maybe it's because I'm less experienced in the Premiere world, but I find the workflows in FCPX and Motion much more simple and intuitive. I prefer it. I'm a surgeon with those tools. Many things I'm doing in Prem and AE seem like they take a lot more steps and menu trips to do.

But the bean counters have the last word on things here; they won't listen to us and they hate dealing with Apple, and I anticipate the day is coming when the IT staff yank all of our iMacs and tell us to get over it and use Premiere/AE exclusively. That will not be fun.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 6, 2019 at 4:18:31 pm

[Mark Suszko] "But the bean counters have the last word on things here; they won't listen to us and they hate dealing with Apple, and I anticipate the day is coming when the IT staff yank all of our iMacs and tell us to get over it and use Premiere/AE exclusively."

I generally find that when the decision is made by the IT department - and they are closed minded to Macs - you are stuck with what you have. Sometimes, it's almost as if the IT folks only know Windows, so it's a form of "job protection". IBM's track record is an interesting one in this light:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/24/ibm-seeing-great-returns-on-over...

Of course, if the bean counters also factored in annual subscription costs for Creative Cloud, versus purchases of competing tools, they might come up with different numbers.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 6, 2019 at 7:35:12 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I generally find that when the decision is made by the IT department - and they are closed minded to Macs - you are stuck with what you have."

IT departments usually have no idea about the amount of data or data throughput necessary for video editing. Once I start talking to them about generating 30 TB of data per year, needing to back up 2 TB in a single night, and needing a clear 10G connection to the server room, they start realizing they don't want to get involved in that business. So they leave me alone with my Mac consultants that I use periodically.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 6, 2019 at 7:42:09 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Once I start talking to them about generating 30 TB of data per year, needing to back up 2 TB in a single night, and needing a clear 10G connection to the server room, they start realizing they don't want to get involved in that business"

Ha ha ha! Start working in 4K. When our guys come back from a 1 week shoot, it's often 25-30TB of media that needs to be copied over to shared storage, plus backed up, plus creating (in some cases) proxies, too. Gee... doesn't 8K and 16K sound like fun :/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 6, 2019 at 8:41:25 pm

"I must shoot in 8K raw !" -
no one has any idea of the bandwidth required for this (unless you are running efficient codecs like .r3d).
And so those requirements (and for 16K in the future) will require NO SATA drives, but all SSD's and NVMe's, and no one will be willing to pay for it.

Everyone is a big shot, until they have to pay for it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 6, 2019 at 9:34:35 pm

Back in the before-time, when God was just an intern and puppies were the oldest animal, I was messaged that the IT supervisor had a problem and could I come see him... I had to justify my "intensive" use of the network's resources. This was when most of the people in the system not running COBOL on punch-card-driven mainframes were running Wangnet on 486 processor PC's - many of them didn't even run sound cards then, because, why would you need sound to do word processing and spreadsheets? I was at that time, rendering out Lightwave animations with an early Crystal TOPAS TARGA board. Which the IT guy was unaware of. How was it that I needed SO MUCH storage, and so much data capacity?

So I dump a stack of 60 floppies on the IT guy's desk. I pick one up and say:

"...this will -just barely - hold thirty frames of my animation - one SECOND of DV video, at broadcast quality. This is what -one minute- of video looks like (pointing to stack of 60 floppies). We make programs from thirty seconds to an hour long. That's our work product. And there are four more guys like me, making this stuff, five days a week. You may want to figure this into your archive system design needs."

"Oh."

Later, when we started seeking real NLE systems in earnest, they couldn't understand why a commodity Lenovo like everybody else gets, wasn't good enough, and besides the then- exotic CD drive, why I would need an additional DVD drive in it - did I plan to slack off work all day, watching movies?

"No... making them. ...That's why I need a DVD burner/reader: for QC checks and production."

"Oh."

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 7, 2019 at 1:53:22 am

[Brett Sherman] "they start realizing they don't want to get involved in that business."

This was the norm for me the last 20 years at my day job.
We had deep pockets for data for the corp but I had to get my own system but before that spend the hours of creating documents to justify that cost.
I got really good with it after a few years ☺
Now its just an a few NAS and a ton of Thunderbolt drives.
No more odd frail SAS cables.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on May 7, 2019 at 10:49:24 am

My spouse is the creative director in the communications dept for our city. So lots of shooting, editing After Effects work,etc. The IT dept still thinks all city agencies just work with text files, spreadsheets, the occasional photograph. She asked for a 48 TB raid for back up purposes and IT was like “wha....?” Her Dept got a LTO 7 for Archival of material, but of course it took IT 7 months to get the LTO 7 tapes to her office.
Isn’t it ironic that in the day of rapid technological change driven in large part by information technologies that the IT departments seem to be stuck in the horse and buggy era of IT?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 7, 2019 at 4:53:52 pm

I don’t think you can compare dynamic linking to the motion publishing. With dynamic linking, yes you can open in AE and make changes. But that requires AE and a knowledge of how to operate AE. Hardly comparable to making an adjustment in the inspector. Their new motion graphics Templates would be a better comparison, but they’re still a bit behind in that.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 7, 2019 at 5:43:25 pm

[Bret Williams] "I don’t think you can compare dynamic linking to the motion publishing. With dynamic linking, yes you can open in AE and make changes. But that requires AE and a knowledge of how to operate AE. Hardly comparable to making an adjustment in the inspector. Their new motion graphics Templates would be a better comparison, but they’re still a bit behind in that.
"

If we are just talking about using Dynamic Link for templates you can have editable parameters inside of PPro. Ex. at my current gig we import an AE template into PPro for lower thirds and change the name, and title inside PPro using the Effects Control panel. At a previous job (maybe 2 or 3 years ago) the GFX department made us an AE template for creating opening titles for our videos and in that one the text, text size and color were all editable inside of PPro.

That was the first time I'd used Dynamic Link that way, and needless to say the editors loved noting having to go into AE just to make L3 changes.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 7, 2019 at 6:08:09 pm

Oh that’s true I forgot about that baby step before the motion graphics Templates. very similar to what FCP 7 was doing with Motion Templates back in 2009. Still very limited from what I’ve seen/understand.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on May 9, 2019 at 2:06:56 am

Taught assistant editors to do this same thing at an NBC O&O in 2015. They had "Trending Now" (Twitter and other Social) graphics they'd run several times a day with ID's. They were scared to death of AE, but would crank these things out all day from PPro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]