APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Does anyone have the scopes on Game of Thrones black point?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
Does anyone have the scopes on Game of Thrones black point?
on Apr 30, 2019 at 6:20:23 pm

I understand why it was so dark, but what did the scopes look like? What was the editor and colorist seeing?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Does anyone have the scopes on Game of Thrones black point?
on Apr 30, 2019 at 7:14:38 pm

[Richard Herd] "What was the editor and colorist seeing?"

Snow.

Jon Snow.

Because, you know, Winter Finally Showed Up.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 30, 2019 at 8:41:26 pm

but not the light. surely they could have opened up those fancy cameras one more stop

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 30, 2019 at 9:21:26 pm

[Richard Herd] "but not the light. surely they could have opened up those fancy cameras one more stop"

I would be willing to bet that exposure wasn't the problem, and that there weren't any crushed blacks in the whole program (before post production). It looked to me like they graded the episode to be that dark on purpose.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 30, 2019 at 10:38:55 pm

Fabian Wagner thinks you're holding it wrong

https://www.salon.com/2019/04/30/game-of-thrones-cinematographer-defends-ba...

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2019 at 11:49:59 pm

I thought it looked great. Lots of tension, lots of not-knowing, lots of always darkest before the dawn. The use of light, with the Dothraki fire swords extinguishing one by one, the blue glowing eyes of the Dead was well used.

I can’t imagine Producing, Directing, planning a show of this magnitude. It always blows my mind when I really stop and think about it. I am in the middle of organizing 5 :15 spots over 2 shoot days and my hair is a little more grey each day! :)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 30, 2019 at 11:55:49 pm

https://www.redsharknews.com/distribution/item/6327-game-of-thrones-highlig...

And just think, 8K and 16K are just around the corner.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 1, 2019 at 5:57:41 pm

"It looked great in the edit suite" watching the uncompressed color grade on perfectly calibrated monitors. Home theatre of 5Mbps through AppleTV/Roku to HDMI onto a home theatre screen? The blueray will have more bandwidth, but can the screens actually display picture under that 7.5 IRE?

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on May 7, 2019 at 2:15:31 am

...and HDR black is going to look so much richer. You've never seen a screen so dark before!

Return to posts index

Tony West
on May 1, 2019 at 2:24:24 am

[Shawn Miller] "Fabian Wagner thinks you're holding it wrong"

I've been in many of folk's homes who had their screens set to mud, and I know plenty watching on pads, so he has a point there.

I feel like I felt the way the director wanted me to feel watching it. Pretty amazing.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 1, 2019 at 4:40:41 am

I thought it looked fine. BUT, I had good stream from HBO (sometimes their streaming quality can be really blocky) and I was watching on a plasma screen at night w/the lights down. I can totally see where people watching it on suboptimal TV settings and/or in a suboptimal environment wouldn't have had a good a viewing experience.

Visually this episode was really pushing the boundary of what the creators want the audience to experience and what the typical viewer is capable of experiencing with their home setup.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 1, 2019 at 11:55:00 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Visually this episode was really pushing the boundary of what the creators want the audience to experience and what the typical viewer is capable of experiencing with their home setup.
"

I think it was a very brave decision by the Producers but I think it was well worth it.

Despite the groaning and whingeing by some people on the web, I think it was one of the finest pieces of television ever produced.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on May 1, 2019 at 3:10:52 pm

I watched it with my night-vision goggles.

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Dom Silverio
on May 6, 2019 at 2:36:54 pm

My question would be, did they grade it at 2.4 or 2.6 gamma instead of 2.2.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 7, 2019 at 4:41:24 am

I'm sure the REC709 version would have been graded at gamma 2.4 given it is the standard practice and what most home sets are calibrated to. sRGB is 2.2 .

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 7, 2019 at 5:35:34 am

Considering the number of night scenes GoT has done, and the number of times people have complained about things being too dark I don't think the 'extra darkness' in this episode was due to an improper setting during the grading session.

I think they wanted to make this episode visually dark (it is the Night King after all) than other night scenes and they
underestimated the difference between how they were viewing and how most people at home were viewing it (marginal LCD screens with jacked up factory settings, the living room lights all the way up, and a very compressed cable feed or Internet stream).

I watched it on a sorta-properly set up plasma screen w/the lights dimmed and a surprisingly clean stream and I never thought it looked too dark. It certainly was dark, but it never obscured what was going on. Last year though the HBO streams were all very compressed (much more so than Amazon or Netflix) and if I had had the same streaming quality this year it probably would've made this episode unwatchable in parts.

Return to posts index

Dom Silverio
on May 13, 2019 at 9:36:23 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I'm sure the REC709 version would have been graded at gamma 2.4 given it is the standard practice and what most home sets are calibrated to"

But home sets are not calibrated to anything. It is the Wild West out there. And I would bet the majority of TV viewers have a lighting condition that is more appropriate to gamma 2.2 than 2.4 or higher.

And if you survey all the consumer TV reviewer online, they set their software calibration to 2.2.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 14, 2019 at 3:56:01 am

All the more reason to stick to 2.4 as a Rec709 standard reference. Same as loudness for mixing. If we don't stick to a standard for picture and sound then the viewer can expect another variable in the mess that is their home settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]