APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

5 Days and no posts?

COW Forums : NAB Show

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Steve Connor
5 Days and no posts?
on Apr 22, 2019 at 6:04:53 pm

Is that a record for this forum?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: 5 Days and no posts?
on Apr 22, 2019 at 6:29:05 pm

Looks that way. Facebook has been slow other than member requests. There has been no Apple news at NAB and outside of Resolve 16 there has not been much to discuss on the NLE debate front. Yes, the word debate was used. 🤭 In all honesty, I have no idea why there is no traffic in here. Hopefully it will pickup soon.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 22, 2019 at 7:58:16 pm

Post NAB recovery plus Passover and Easter?

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Apr 22, 2019 at 10:12:34 pm

Also, NAB is over and there's no more news.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
RJTravelMedia
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Apr 22, 2019 at 10:15:21 pm
Last Edited By Ralph Hajik on Apr 22, 2019 at 10:25:46 pm

If you care to see a few pictures taken at NAB go to my web site.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
RJTravelMedia
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 25, 2019 at 9:06:06 pm

This year's NAB was very strange in a lot of ways. It began earlier than ever (we started receiving pre-NAB press releases in mid-January!!!!), and ended almost instantly. There's been no "tail" this year, which is highly unusual.

I wonder if it's because NAB landed so squarely before Easter, which rarely happens. It's like, people got home from the show and then took off. Thousands of people never hit the office for a couple of weeks straight, and virtually all of our posts come when people are at work.

As others have noted, I'm seeing this elsewhere online. The social media conversations shifted instantly from NAB to some combination of Game of Thrones, Marvel, and a bunch of TV shows back from hiatus or starting mid-season -- which actually contributed to dozens of people I think of as core "usual suspects" at the show not attending this year. Stuck in the edit suite.

The irony is that I'm really excited by some of these releases, more so than in many a year, as I've written elsewhere.

Sitewide, our traffic is very much up post-show, as it tends to be, but there's no question that conversation is down, and not just in this forum.

Very, very odd year spring so far.

Interesting stuff coming, though, so stay tuned....but I'd be interested to hear other folks' thoughts on the tail-less-ness of NAB this year, and the dynamics contributing to it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 26, 2019 at 11:32:36 pm

Sad to say, but the actual professional Final Cut Pro X community has pretty much long ago moved on from here.
It was such a hostile environment for so long with EVERY positive mention about X typically met with a resounding chorus of negative carping, that after a while, all the members of the burgeoning FCP X thought leader class, all just went elsewhere.
Heck, just look at the representation of professional female FCP X editors involved in the discussions on some of the Facebook groups and I can’t really remember a SINGLE one of them posting here over the past 7 years.
I know the Cow has strongly championed female participation overall, but NONE of the top female FCP X editors I know like Sarah Euschen or Maya Hawke would have likely wasted their time battling the negativity that thrived on this forum for so long.

People hang where they are made to feel welcome.

And for X editors, fairly or unfairly, by design or accident — that simply wasn’t here.

Such is life.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 27, 2019 at 1:44:00 pm

[Bill Davis] "Sad to say, but the actual professional Final Cut Pro X community has pretty much long ago moved on from here."

Its funny because I dont really rememeber a huge pressence here ver. It was always the usual suspects with a few random people chiming in every one in a while.

i think its simply because theres nothing to really talk about via X right now. Most of the current threads arent even about X and really theres not much to debate. You use the NLE you use at this point. There all capable.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 27, 2019 at 6:21:15 pm

Agreed. I don't check this site nor FCP.CO a lot anymore, until there is some bigger news. Had nothing to do with hostility, it's just been a bit quiet around FCPX and the iMac Pro / Mac Pro / ... . I love X, but most conversations here had some interesting arguments, I didn't mind the criticisms, even if I didn't agree always at times. It often lead to interesting arguments about ways how people edit, etc. ...

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 27, 2019 at 8:01:50 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 27, 2019 at 8:05:56 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "Had nothing to do with hostility, it's just been a bit quiet around FCPX and the iMac Pro / Mac Pro / ... . I love X, but most conversations here had some interesting arguments, I didn't mind the criticisms, even if I didn't agree always at times. It often lead to interesting arguments about ways how people edit, etc. ..."

I couldn't disagree more. On the other active FCP X web locations - there are thousands and thousands of those active discussions about all sorts of FCP X topics still taking place daily.

Just this week, I've chatted about database design, roles strategies, all sorts of import and export issues - not to mention all the discussion of the Apple announcement of the coming EOL of access to the old Quicktime-based codecs in the next revision of MacOS and how that will effect editors going forward.

Once upon a time, those types of highly active information exchanges might have occurred here.

But not any more.

Just how it is.

This place got stuck for YEARS on one primary topic: whether FCP X was ever going to be relevant to real professional editing.

Now that it's a fully accepted alternative with a rapidly growing reputation (along with Resolve) for speed and reliability - it's hard to see how boards like this that were so hostile towards it for so long remain a place where FCP X users will ever want to hang out.

A bar can be neutral for a while. But when you sit down to drink a beer, and everyone sitting around you just talks about how much your team sucks - you tend to find a new bar.

Just how it is.

HECK, just look at the thread below this one.

An "opinion piece" article like that would have easily generated 20-60 response posts in the past.
Now, ZIP. Why? Cuz nobody cares enough to push back on it's central thesis - which laid out specific reasons why the shop owner felt X was a better option for them after significant testing.

That's, sadly, a pretty clear hallmark of "disengagement" if you ask me.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 27, 2019 at 9:31:25 pm

[Bill Davis] "I couldn't disagree more. On the other active FCP X web locations - there are thousands and thousands of those active discussions about all sorts of FCP X topics still taking place daily.

Just this week, I've chatted about database design, roles strategies, all sorts of import and export issues - not to mention all the discussion of the Apple announcement of the coming EOL of access to the old Quicktime-based codecs in the next revision of MacOS and how that will effect editors going forward."

Sadly I can't find these "interesting" discussions on the Facebook groups, most seem to be full of technical questions that are similar to the "other" FCPX Forum on the COW.

Also I don't want to just hang out with people that use FCPX, I really enjoyed the discussions from the broad group of Editors that used to contribute here.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 27, 2019 at 10:38:17 pm

The Facebook professional forums are quickly evolving into the primary location for dialogue and one primary reason for that is the user interface. It's tailor made for quick question and answers and easy notifications.

No disrepsect intended to the fantastic community that has thrived here for so long but it is what it is. In addition, this shift has occurred simultaneously with the death of the NLE debate.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 28, 2019 at 12:28:49 am

[greg janza] "The Facebook professional forums are quickly evolving into the primary location for dialogue and one primary reason for that is the user interface. It's tailor made for quick question and answers and easy notifications. "

I think a very large part of FB's appeal is that it's a one stop shop. You can connect with work, family and friends all in one spot. It's kinda like shopping at the mall because it's easier than going to a number of different shops all over town.

Personally I think FB is horrible for trying to find information. Their algorithm decide what you see and how you see it. If I pull up FB on my phone and FB on my laptop the posts in the feeds won't even be ordered the same way. If someone is posting a problem the response on FB or Twitter will probably be faster than on dedicated sites like the COW or FCP.co, but trying to go back and find already existing information can be a real PITA. It can be an information black hole at times.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 29, 2019 at 12:54:37 pm

FB is horrible.

All I see on there regarding NLE's is.. "whats better ? Mac or PC?"

questions like , "my computer wont turn on, halp!?" etc.

When X has a significant update with some new features I'm sure this place will be popping again.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 29, 2019 at 4:34:07 pm

[Neil Goodman] "FB is horrible.

All I see on there regarding NLE's is.. "whats better ? Mac or PC?""

You're simply not going to the more focused forums then. There's a wealth of great information and problem solving happening on the Facebook professional forums. And there's virtually no Mac vs PC debate which is refreshing.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 29, 2019 at 4:52:52 pm

[greg janza] "There's a wealth of great information and problem solving happening on the Facebook professional forums."

Amen to this.
Even after 7 years of high level X operation daily, there's seldom a day goes by where I don't learn something useful on the professional X Facebook groups.

I totally get those who don't want to be tracked and sold Facebook style - but I find the people and conversations worth way more than the annoyance of having my eyeballs turned into a commodity. It's not like I'm going to prevent that in modern society. That ship sailed back when I learned that I could buy a computer dump of people who had registered a particular brand of car a few years back - in order to pitch them on an upgraded model. And that was about 1972.

Oh well.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 29, 2019 at 7:01:42 pm

There are some garbage questions in the FCPX groups on FB from time to time. I had to intervene as moderator at times due to some trolls. One thing is that some people post the same question across multiple groups looking for an answer. The response time can be fast but the quality of answers are not always great.

The problem is some members get defensive and attack the moderators.

One example: "I won’t join any more groups because most of the people on these groups are unprofessional with unsympathetic, lame answers. [Name redacted] doesn’t listen well."

We had one member even complain about censorship and whine about being put into moderation because his posts needed approval. That policy applies to everyone to cut down on spam. He left before he got banned.

No matter what forum you join, regardless of the website there will be slow times and attention seeking trolls. My two cents. Carry on and be cool.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 30, 2019 at 12:56:30 pm

Of course.

Forums are often used by members for problem solving.
And someone having a problem - particularly a problem connected to a deadline - can be stressed and, well, a bit tetchy.

Goes with the territory.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]