APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

NAB wishes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
NAB wishes
on Mar 4, 2019 at 1:43:52 pm

As usual in recent years, Apple won't be at NAB in any official (or off-show-floor) capacity. But often updates happen in and around the NAB timeframe. So what are you wishing to see?

Some thought on my end:
1. Wider adoption of ProRes RAW. Specifically cameras, but also support by Adobe, Avid, Blackmagic.
2. New Mac Pro
3. Better performance of Premiere Pro with 4K media (this is partially an Apple and partially an Adobe issue).
4. Collaborative workflow/shared projects (libraries) in FCPX.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: NAB wishes
on Mar 4, 2019 at 4:20:21 pm

Some more NVME SSD storage options - thunderbolt 3 please.

A new Mac Pro

Some progress with Nvidia and Red and Apple, to make eGPU performance with 6 and 8K rushes even more impressive with a MacBook Pro

A v-lock plate for the apple PSU that can be reliably used to power a new MacBook Pro in the field

Some previews of the new 8K sensor that Panasonic have been working on

News of the rumoured Arri Mini LF...

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 4, 2019 at 5:50:52 pm

A 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SATA drive is currently $499 US.
So six of these would cost you $3000. Then you need a storage enclosure for them.
I assume you would create at least a RAID 5 out of this - so would you spend this much money for
10 TB of usable storage ?

If there is a new Mac Pro, I will faint. And it certainly will not be shown at NAB.
If there is any progress between Apple and NVidia, I will faint from this as well.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 4, 2019 at 7:25:58 pm

[Bob Zelin] "If there is a new Mac Pro, I will faint. And it certainly will not be shown at NAB."

That would be funny if they sneak that into NAB as they did with FCPX back in 2011.
But please Bob, no fainting.

Need your noggin here :)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 4, 2019 at 11:30:51 pm

If Apple and Atomos are willing to share ProResRAW with the rest of the world then I have no doubt that Blackmagic will support it in Resolve. I highly doubt they will on their cameras, considering they want to push BRAW which seems to have many more advantages in camera and in post. Grant Petty has publicly shown little enthusiasm for ProResRAW but at the end of the day they are pragmatists. Personally I would not want to see another Apple proprietary format in cameras.

If I was a camera maker choosing between a more open RAW format like BRAW and a proprietary RAW like ProResRAW, I wouldn't choose ProResRAW. However if Apple decide to shun BRAW in X, then it will be interesting to see who blinks. Arri are the main camera player so my guess is they won't touch either for the time being and see who's RAW format becomes a standard. Even then they have their own RAW format so why support another? Red won't either is my guess. Sony unlikely. Panasonic? I wonder if Atomos will add BRAW? I can see a couple of Aussies nutting that out over a beer at NAB.

Could be the start of a long tit for tat between Blackmagic and Apple.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 5, 2019 at 12:02:36 am

[Michael Gissing] "Arri are the main camera player so my guess is they won't touch either for the time being and see who's RAW format becomes a standard."

Both ARRI and RED can do ProRes in-camera. But they each have their own RAW codec that they feel is superior to ProResRAW. So they might not be all that eager. However, this could all take a different turn. For example, if Filmic Pro decided to somehow support it in iPhones.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 5, 2019 at 12:58:46 am

[Oliver Peters] "Both ARRI and RED can do ProRes in-camera"

As does Blackmagic. However ProResRAW is a totally different prospect for them all and highly unlikely they will want their sensor data handled that way.

Personally I would be happier if they all dropped ProRes for DNx.mxf

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Mar 5, 2019 at 3:30:23 am

[Michael Gissing] "Personally I would be happier if they all dropped ProRes for DNx.mxf
"

yes, a much better option.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 5, 2019 at 1:41:15 pm

[greg janza] "yes, a much better option."

Unless I'm mistaken, unlike ProRes, DNxHD/HR doesn't allow resolution independence. The codec uses fixed sizes, so you can't create arbitrary frame sizes, which are essential in certain media worlds, like digital signage.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 5, 2019 at 1:47:16 pm

Another item. Will we see any early USB4 devices yet at this NAB?

https://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/6193-surprise-unveiling-of-usb...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 5, 2019 at 4:15:59 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[greg janza] "yes, a much better option."

Unless I'm mistaken, unlike ProRes, DNxHD/HR doesn't allow resolution independence. The codec uses fixed sizes, so you can't create arbitrary frame sizes, which are essential in certain media worlds, like digital signage."

Good point, I think Cineform would be a great alternative for just that reason.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 5, 2019 at 5:22:26 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Unless I'm mistaken, unlike ProRes, DNxHD/HR doesn't allow resolution independence. The codec uses fixed sizes, so you can't create arbitrary frame sizes, which are essential in certain media worlds, like digital signage."

The only limit I recall for DNxHR is that the frame height must be an even number, but I haven't done exhaustive testing to find all the rules.

[Shawn Miller] "Good point, I think Cineform would be a great alternative for just that reason."

CineForm can support any height, but requires that width be a multiple of 8. (The old CineForm encoders used to get around this with a padding/aperture scheme in QuickTime, but I don't think the current implementations support this.)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dom Silverio
on Mar 11, 2019 at 4:36:53 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Unless I'm mistaken, unlike ProRes, DNxHD/HR doesn't allow resolution independence. The codec uses fixed sizes, so you can't create arbitrary frame sizes, which are essential in certain media worlds, like digital signage.

- Oliver"

DNx (HR and uncompressed) is resolution independent, but not sure of any limits. You can create nonstandard frame size projects in MC for a while now.
DNxHD is limited to standard HD raster sizes.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 5, 2019 at 4:06:11 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Personally I would be happier if they all dropped ProRes for DNx.mxf"

Completely agree. I'm still bummed that DNxHR didn't make it into the Ursa Mini.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 5, 2019 at 4:19:18 pm

[Michael Gissing] "As does Blackmagic. However ProResRAW is a totally different prospect for them all and highly unlikely they will want their sensor data handled that way. "

Speaking of BMD cameras...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20190305-01

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 5, 2019 at 9:50:55 pm

[Shawn Miller]"Speaking of BMD cameras..."

Looks like BM are out of the NAB blocks early. I woke up to the dulcet tones of Grant Petty talking about BRAW for the BMPCC4k and the new gen Ursa Mini Pro 2. I think my earlier comments about ProResRAW are accurate for BM. BRAW is moving fast and they are dropping cDNG. No mention of ProResRAW.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Mar 9, 2019 at 4:03:31 am

[Michael Gissing] "I can see a couple of Aussies nutting that out over a beer at NAB."

I was told that there is some bad blood between the CEOs of BMD and Atomos. I don't have high hopes for any collaboration between them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]