APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

All the little things that I miss in Fcpx - that become a big deal

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mauricio Lleras
All the little things that I miss in Fcpx - that become a big deal
on Feb 5, 2019 at 9:31:18 pm

Long time reader here.
Noticed this forum has been getting quiet lately
so I thought I'd stir it up a little
in hope of some great discussion as always
and also maybe finding out if some of the things I miss in Fcpx have been addressed
in the latest versions which I haven't had the chance to use.

So here is my list of things that bug me about Fcpx:

- first and foremost, trimming. It should really get some love, after all, it is an editing software we're talking about!
So: - when will we be able to select and trim multiple edit points simultaneously?
- and thus be able to do assymetrical trimming?
- when will we get a two up display when trimming with the keyboard?
- more consistency when selecting edit points with the keyboard, I find the app sometimes will simply refuse to select an edit point,
forcing the use of the mouse

- In and Out points at the timeline (not storyline) level : please? It would be so good to be able to cut whole sections
of an edit by simply marking In and Out as in every other software...

- Redo and Undo for any marking action, as in Mark In, Out, Mark Clip, clear Marks...Seems like such a basic feature........Any time I mark or unmark something
I am accomplishing an action, so please let me undo it or redo it if I need to!

- searching for markers: (really hope this has been fixed) when you log a long interview for instance, putting a whole lot of markers
for comments, you'd think that performing a search for an element contained in any one marker would bring the playhead
to that marker, thus actually helping you to find said marker. Instead the search only brings up the clip, with the playhead parked at the beginning,
and you're left with a whole list of markers to read through in order to find the one you're searching for, thus defeating the purpose of the search engine....

- finding the playhead in filmstrip mode can be a nightmare. When you matchframe to an event full of clips
it sometimes is nearly impossible to tell which clip you've matchframed to and where the playhead sits...

- and about matchframing, I believe if you have a dual system audio synced clip you can match back to the synced clip
but then there is no way to match back to the image or audio only original clips, which is sometimes necessary. Has this changed?

- disclosure triangles in list mode: do they still keep closing everytime you go into a different event?
Having to open them each time can be pretty unnerving, the app should remember the state you left them in.

- dupe detection, also such a basic feature...

- commit (or finalize) multicam clips, also basic...

- option to open compound clips in the timeline they're at when double clicking them (it would be so much easier than going inside them, away from your edit...)

- synced clips and compound clips should inherit all metadata from the clips they contain: especially useful when working with double system audio,
as scene and take info are usually embedded in audio files, it seems like a no brainer that once you sync up your clips the new synced clips should inherit this scene/take info, making it then very easy to rename them. Instead you get nothing, and you have to populate manually all those fields before renaming. Why? When everything is already there?

- option to create sync clips from the timeline (is it possible? I think not but maybe I'm overseeing something?)

- fix the annoying bug that makes the playhead jump all over the place sometimes when color correcting,
it makes it nearly impossible to work.

- option to easily relink proxies.
- and more options for proxy sizes (rasters and data getting bigger and bigger, it would be nice to have more options,
as currently proxies can still be quite heavy...)

- ensure the timeline playhead moves smoothly always, as in not skipping places, as well as timecode displaying every frame count
and not skipping (this lagging might seem a small thing but I find pretty unnerving too...)

That's more or less it. Mind you, most of these are small things that could be taken care off easily
- almost looks like some of the feature lists Resolve point updates get-
I'm not wishing for whizzbang features like tracking in all effects, or extremely powerful noise reduction (both for image or sound)
or any of those heavier things.
Just a ton of small features that would make the experience SO MUCH better.
I love FcpX and want to use it as much as possible,
but invariably I find myself also pissed at it when all of these little things start to compound and get in the way
of what is otherwise a really good experience.

The thing is the app is already in it's eight year of development,
so my hopes that any of those things will ever get addressed is really starting to fade...

Love to hear your thoughts, especially if you know if any of those things have changed.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: All the little things that I miss in Fcpx - that become a big deal
on Feb 5, 2019 at 10:01:20 pm

That's a serious amount of stuff. Have you thought of using a different system?

Bernie

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Feb 5, 2019 at 11:27:44 pm

Well I do of course use other systems, mainly Avid but also Premiere, and maybe soon Resolve, which I use for Color or prepping.
They all have great stuff, and annoying stuff too.
The thing is the one I really root for is FCPX,
because it's core design ideas are the ones I like most.
If they could just fix/enhance all those little things I'd truly be happy...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 5, 2019 at 10:27:25 pm

Not too many complaints, but something inexplicable that happens to me randomly is, the timeline magnification will suddenly decide to snap back/re-set to fully zoomed-out, unbidden (unless I'm unconsciously commanding it somehow). Typically after executing a simple cut, but also sometimes just happens while scrolling thru the timeline.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 5, 2019 at 10:56:40 pm

[Mark Suszko] "(unless I'm unconsciously commanding it somehow). "

Go to "preferences" and in the editing tab uncheck the "mind control" box

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2019 at 12:49:05 am

How about the things that FCP 7 did, and did well, but were left off of FCP-X, and never re-added. Amazing things like:

- Log and Transfer...where you could preview the footage, mark IN and OUT on it, THEN import it. That way, you didn't need to import the full clip if you happened to have cameras that shot hours of nothing. This saved a lot of time and space.

And this not being part of FCP-X really boggles my mind...

- The ability to consolidate a cut (project, sequence, whatever) so that you have ONLY the footage used in that sequence, with some handles. Right now I'm being handed a 2 hour project cut on FCP-X to be onlined in Resolve and I'm getting an 8TB drive for this. Why? Because the edit only uses 10 seconds of a one hour clip, but can only consolidate that full clip, not just the section used. And I'm talking hundreds of clips...so that really adds up. Yeah, you can manually do that, but BOY, will that take forever.

So, two very useful things that FCP 7 did that FCX does not. To be fair, there isn't ONE NLE that does that first thing...bring in only the footage you want with IN and OUT points. ALL the NLE's do all or nothing. So odd to lose that ability.

And I agree on the committing the multicam angle. First off, that would save a LOT of space when consolidating the cut for online. Because not only will I get that angle with the 1 hour interview clip where I only use 10 seconds...but I'll get the other angles too. And then Resolve doesn't view the compound clips well, and I need to manually commit each shot.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:24:59 pm

Absolutely agree on both counts.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 6, 2019 at 1:53:09 am

Just going to list what should be added:
Out of sync indicators
Mask tracking
Vectors for color grading
Better integration with Motion
Batch export clips from timeline with handles
Better keyframes
Moveable markers
The ability to do stuff as Shane Ross mentioned though Worx4 X is good
Role based mixer
More collaborative tools
Ability to add video transitions without adding audio fades automatically
Bill Davis you are holding it wrong extension 😉

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 6, 2019 at 2:39:05 am

Lots of reasonable requests there.

I agree with the trimming and have been vocal about it here in the past as well. - def my biggest pet peeve in X. If you come from literally any other system its not even funny how limited you are.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2019 at 3:16:36 am

[David Mathis] "The ability to do stuff as Shane Ross mentioned though Worx4 X is good"

OH! HEY! That's great!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:20:58 am

Better keyframing is one I forgot to mention but definitely needed...
Also out of sync indicators seem like a small but feasible request.
Role based mixer would be awesome but definitely
a lot more complex to design and code...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 6, 2019 at 7:03:02 pm

Same story as always. Many editors will continue to view X mostly through the lens of their prior NLE operational expectations. Rather than attempting to clean away some of that mental pre-conditioning and accept it for what it is.

Focus on the air at the top and the FCP X glass will ALWAYS be half empty for a particular editor.

Focus on the liquid at the bottom - and it suddenly can appear satisfyingly full.

If you're actually thirsty to get work done rapidly and efficiently - what's already there will probably quench most editors. Not all, and certainly not those who can't let go of functions they feel are mission critical to how they wish editing would always operate. But it will be satisfying for many, many, many working editors - and a joy to operate at the same time.

iJustine's LumaForge unboxing video for her new Jellyfish just crossed my feed, and the thing that was most fun to watch is how honestly HAPPY she was while she was setting up her new server system. There was apparently real JOY added to her life during a day of server setup? That's NUTS!

But if you remain obsessed with the air on top - it's extremely probable that you'll NEVER have enough juice in your glass to make you happy.

Just how prior expectations tend to color life and work in the real world.

My 2 cents.

But I'm positive others will disagree as they continue to focus on what they prefer from their prior workflow that is missing — rather than adapting well to what they now have, which is very present.

To each their own.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2019 at 7:48:01 pm

[Bill Davis] "Same story as always. Many editors will continue to view X mostly through the lens of their prior NLE operational expectations. Rather than attempting to clean away some of that mental pre-conditioning and accept it for what it is."

Well, I thought that being able to consolidate footage used in the cut with handles would be something VERY useful that most people want...especially when archiving a project. But, I guess THAT is too "old school" for Apple? It's not preconditioning...it's a very VERY useful feature that for some reason Apple ignored. And the ability to Log and Capture only sections of clips, or only parts of a card...another way advanced feature (Again, one that NO NLE has currently, none) tossed aside also seems odd. BUT, OK. Guess useful features that save time and space are old hat.

Guess storage is so cheap that they say "why wouldn't you want all that?" Because when you hand off a 2 hour doc to be onlined, it's better to get 1-2TB of footage rather than 8-12TB

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Morgan Reese
on Feb 6, 2019 at 8:09:38 pm

would this help with bringing in just the shots you want http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/VCC.pdf but probably not with consolidate out.

I agree this is a big deal to have overlooked this.

dupe detection too...how hard could that be to code.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Feb 8, 2019 at 12:44:14 pm

I use the spherico VCC app when I need to import footage that was originally captured on tape and has since been converted to QT’s and stored on a drive. VCC works well and fools X into thinking the QT movie is a camera card confering the benefits of being able to select a range or multiple ranges inside the QT movie for import as if it were a camera card.
This little app has saved me from brain damage caused by banging my head against the wall realising that I need to import 2 hrs of QT movie from an archival tape just to be able to get the 5 minutes of footage I want...

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Feb 6, 2019 at 11:07:53 pm

Shane,

Consolidation

Worx4 X from Marquis Broadcast will consolidate your Final Cut projects with handles. It still has some limitations but it works well for most projects. I agree this is a very useful feature in many workflows, which should be included in the NLE.

Partial imports

- If you are importing from a camera card that contains the entire card structure, or from FCP X Camera Archives, you can select ranges of clips and only those ranges will be imported into Final Cut Pro X. You can even command-drag more than one range per clip.

- If you want to make partial imports from regular video files (not inside a camera card structure), get the "VirtualCameraCard" app from Spherico.com. You can use that app to make FCP X think your .mov file is a camera card and then select a portion of the file you want to import.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 7, 2019 at 7:20:45 am

[Ronny Courtens] "Worx4 X from Marquis Broadcast will consolidate your Final Cut projects with handles. It still has some limitations but it works well for most projects. I agree this is a very useful feature in many workflows, which should be included in the NLE."

I don't use FCX, but I online many projects from it. And the people I deal with said this didn't work out too well, caused issues. So we are skipping it. Hopefully they work out the kinks that these guys found.

[Ronny Courtens] "- If you are importing from a camera card that contains the entire card structure, or from FCP X Camera Archives, you can select ranges of clips and only those ranges will be imported into Final Cut Pro X. You can even command-drag more than one range per clip."

That is COOL to know.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:35:55 am

Ah Bill, you don't know me, but like I said, I've been reading this forum almost from the beginning,
so I know you a little, and was definitely expecting you to chip in this discussion
in exactly the way you have, it's almost Pavlovian, and your reply
reads like a copy paste from a hundred other similar replies you have written in the past.
Honestly, don't you get tired?

If you were willing to read past my FCPX criticism, you would see
I said I actually love the app and am rooting for it.
It's definitely not an issue that I can't adapt to new workflows
or whatever, but rather that I'm truly wishing for it to get better.
As much greatness as there may be in the trackless paradigm or the magnetic timeline
or roles to name a few, there are definitely areas where FCPX is lacking
in serious ways and that make for a less than optimal experience.

If nothing is done to correct this and make the software better
it might never gain the traction that I think it deserves and hope it gets.

And if we stayed put with that "everything is perfect as is, just adapt" attitude
you keep displaying well I guess we'd still be stuck in 2011 without
any of these "old" or "needless" things we've gotten over the years such as
multicam editing, FCPXml, advanced color correction tools, etc....

Just because one is critic of something it doesn't mean
everything must be changed or one is hoping for the product to betray it's core conception,
it is rather and more often the display of a love for it and the simple wish of it
getting to be as great as we know it could be...

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Feb 7, 2019 at 2:02:02 pm

Mauricio,

I think everyone knows that I'm a huge proponent of FCP X, I have been involved in some of the largest FCP X integrations in Europe. And I actually agree with much of what you say.

But it seems to me that you haven't been working with FCP X lately, is that correct? Let me go through your points one by one:

When will we be able to select and trim multiple edit points simultaneously?

Agreed, much needed. There are workarounds, but none of them are satisfying.

When will we get a two-up display when trimming with the keyboard?

Also agreed. We have it with mouse-trimming, we should have it with keyboard trimming.

More consistency when selecting edit points with the keyboard, I find the app sometimes will simply refuse to select an edit point, forcing the use of the mouse.

Not my experience. And BTW: using the mouse is NOT a sin, it's a benefit. Using both keyboard and mouse where appropriate actually improves your editing speed. And that comes from a guy who has been frantic about pure keyboard editing all his life. Once you also start using the mouse, you will see how much it improves your skills.

In and Out points at the timeline (not storyline). It would be so good to be able to cut whole sections of an edit by simply marking In and Out as in every other software...

Nice to have, but not imperative. SHIFT+CMD+B (Blade All) already works fine for this.

Redo and Undo for any marking action, as in Mark In, Out, Mark Clip, clear Marks... .Any time I mark or unmark something I am accomplishing an action, so please let me undo it or redo it if I need to!

Same thing here. Just replace any mark with a new one and you're done. No real need for Undo, but could be nice.

Searching for markers when you log a long interview for instance, putting a whole lot of markers for comments, you'd think that performing a search for an element contained in any one marker would bring the playhead
to that marker, thus actually helping you to find said marker. Instead the search only brings up the clip, with the playhead parked at the beginning, and you're left with a whole list of markers to read through in order to find the one you're searching for, thus defeating the purpose of the search engine....

I don't think you are familiar with the Timeline Index. Select Tags in the Timeline Index and you will be able to search for any markers or elements in any markers on your timeline. Clicking on the result will bring you exactly to that marker.

Finding the playhead in filmstrip mode can be a nightmare. When you match frame to an event full of clips
it sometimes is nearly impossible to tell which clip you've match framed to and where the playhead sits...

I find this annoying as well when you work on a laptop. But many of us use multiple screens, and you don't have that problem when your Browser screen real estate is big enough. On laptops, just switch to list view for match framing and you will see the clip you have matched to and the exact playhead position without any problems.

And about matchframing, I believe if you have a dual system audio synced clip you can match back to the synced clip
but then there is no way to match back to the image or audio only original clips, which is sometimes necessary. Has this changed?

Nope, and it would be useful to be able do this in specific circumstances. If this became possible, we would also be able to finalize multicams.

Disclosure triangles in list mode: do they still keep closing every time you go into a different event?
Having to open them each time can be pretty unnerving, the app should remember the state you left them in.

Agreed.

Dupe detection, also such a basic feature...

Don't get me started (-: You cannot imagine how many times I have explained to them why this is required.

Commit (or finalize) multicam clips, also basic...

Same story. Really needed.

Option to open compound clips in the timeline they're at when double-clicking them (it would be so much easier than going inside them, away from your edit...)

One of my pet feature requests. Absolutely invaluable.

Synced clips and compound clips should inherit all metadata from the clips they contain: especially useful when working with double system audio, as scene and take info are usually embedded in audio files, it seems like a no brainer that once you sync up your clips the new synced clips should inherit this scene/take info, making it then very easy to rename them. Instead you get nothing, and you have to populate manually all those fields before renaming. Why? When everything is already there?

Disagree. All clips inside the synched clip keep their metadata. It is impossible to port these data over to the synched clip level because you will have multiple values and possibly conflicts.

Option to create sync clips from the timeline (is it possible? I think not but maybe I'm overseeing something?)

I don't see any practical use for this. Syncing dual audio is something you do at the prep stage, not while editing.

Fix the annoying bug that makes the playhead jump all over the place sometimes when color correcting,
it makes it nearly impossible to work.

Has been fixed.

Option to easily relink proxies.

If you want this for remote editing with proxies, you never should have a need for relinking if your workflow is correct. In other words: you ar holding it wrong (-:

More options for proxy sizes (rasters and data getting bigger and bigger, it would be nice to have more options, as currently, proxies can still be quite heavy...)

Would be useful, but then again drive space is very cheap these days.

Ensure the timeline playhead moves smoothly always, as in not skipping places, as well as timecode displaying every frame count and not skipping (this lagging might seem a small thing but I find pretty unnerving too...)

Depends on your system performance, nothing to do with FCP X. I have never seen this happening on any of the hundreds of projects I have worked with in the past years.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 7, 2019 at 3:44:32 pm

A practical use for syncing clips in the timeline is when AE's have to make crazy sync maps. All the systems currently can take a sync map and with one button press turn that into a multiclip/group now. Can you do this in FCPX? Honestly dont know.

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:23:14 pm

Rony, I appreciate you taking time to go by most of the points I mentioned,
although I find your attitude a tad condescending here and there...
I do use Fcpx, don't know how you got the impression I didn't
-perhaps because I mentioned I wasn't on the latest version?-,
but it's not the only software I use;
I'm a freelancer, so got to go with what's available or desired,
which is often not Fcpx...
And by the way, everyone uses the mouse too...
Anyway, I see you basically agree with most of what I brought up.
Glad to hear the annoying colour correction bug has been fixed.
Sad to see nothing much else is improved from version 10.4
on these many aspects....
Regarding some of your comments:

[Ronny Courtens] "I don't think you are familiar with the Timeline Index. Select Tags in the Timeline Index and you will be able to search for any markers or elements in any markers on your timeline. Clicking on the result will bring you exactly to that marker."

Again with the attitude...I do know the Index and see it can be used to accomplish this.
However it is an imperfect use, as it does not allow for searches at the library or event level,
you HAVE to put everything in a timeline
and if you want to search for it you have to open said timeline and search there,
leaving your actual edit (and requiring you to be sure in which selects timeline that thing you're searching for is).
So, while definitely workable, it still is not as good as say, Avid's way,
which allows for a project wide search and brings up all instances found in a project,
and if you then double-click on any of the results it will take you directly to the point you requested,
regardless of whether that marker lives in a clip or in a timeline;
and in the latter case, if the marker is in a closed timeline it will open it for you automatically
and place the playhead right where you want.
So there is room for improvement, especially for an NLE which is otherwise
so strong on the metadata/organizational/search levels...

Regarding syncing clips from the timeline, read Neil's comment.
You may not find it necessary but there may be a variety
of situations in which you might want this.
As a matter of fact, I'm about to edit a low budget short
as a favour and it so happens they had a problem with the rental company
and so couldn't get the gear to jamsync camera and sound,
and no sound was recorded on camera, so I'm left with an old-fashioned
manual sync on my hands; and although you could do this
without laying clips on the timeline, it is easier to check and perfect sync
if you do ( for instance nudging clips by subframe increments and such)
and may come in handy for delivering viewing dailies kemrolls.
So again, it may not be dearly missed by many,
but a small handy thing to have it certainly would be.

Again, as I said in my post, nothing I raised is per see a deal breaker.
And I too like FcpX a lot.
But all these things put together do get to be annoying
and leave you wishing for more,
especially when you see how good it can be in other aspects.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Feb 8, 2019 at 2:07:15 am

Mauricio said, "I'm about to edit a low budget short
as a favour and it so happens they had a problem with the rental company
and so couldn't get the gear to jamsync camera and sound,
and no sound was recorded on camera, so I'm left with an old-fashioned
manual sync on my hands; and although you could do this
without laying clips on the timeline, it is easier to check and perfect sync
if you do ( for instance nudging clips by subframe increments and such)
and may come in handy for delivering viewing dailies kemrolls."

Mauricio, there is a simple way to sync your cameras and audio. You have to use markers to do it. It takes a little longer but it works. In FCP X there is a multicamera view which is like a sync map but more powerful. In each of your video and audio clips add a marker where your clap is. Create a new multicam clip according to marker placement. Double clip on your multicam clip and it will open up in the multicam clip viewer. The markers will get you 99 percent there. This is where you can see your wave forms and nudge your clips into sync. This view is your sync map. So yes, FCP X can do that.

I did not think Ronny was condescending at all.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Feb 8, 2019 at 2:13:02 am

I forgot this tip. Since you don't have waveforms on your video you can't see where they match. Select either your audio or video clip and while you play it you can nudge it and hear where they match. You may have to shorten one of them so you have room to nudge it.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 9, 2019 at 12:51:09 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "Option to easily relink proxies.

If you want this for remote editing with proxies, you never should have a need for relinking if your workflow is correct."

My doc team uses a proxy-only distributed workflow extensively but it is a hassle. The proxy system is very fragile and clips can easily go off line permanently, which shuts down production. Here's one way it can happen. The current proxy system requires the volume name remain unchanged. In a distributed workflow, the AE preps proxy-only data and ships a portable drive to the lead editor. Then another set of data flows in, proxies generated, and *that* drive is shipped to the editor. But both drives (by necessity) have the same name. If they are both plugged in, Finder shows two drives with the same name. Internally macOS appends a "uniquifier". If the computer is rebooted and the drives come on line in a different sequence the proxies will fail, sometimes permanently.

Internally FCPX is apparently storing within the library the volume name when the proxies were made. Within the SQL tables ZCOLLECTION and ZCOLLECTIONMD this name is associated with each row set corresponding to a proxy file.

If the volume name differs, the proxies will be off line. In some cases renaming the drive to the original name will *not* restore the proxies -- IOW they can become permanently off line. In this case even the "proxy cheat" method of recreating the symlinks by copying in Finder aliases won't fix it.

FCPX proxy management differs starkly from regular media management, which is superb. Regular media management (within a given volume) is so resilient you can shut down FCPX, rename every media file, move each media file to a different collection, go inside the library and manually delete all symlinks, start FCPX and it will find each file and rebuild each symlink to the new location. FCPX apparently stores the inode of each file and uses that as a backup location method to rebuild the symlinks. Unfortunately this doesn't work for proxies.

Inodes are only unique within a volume, so it's understandable why media must be relinked when moving to a different volume name. However there is no relink provided for proxies.

Proxies have inodes like regular files, so it's unclear why that functionality was not provided. Possible reason: When user-specified external storage locations were added in 10.1.2, this also included proxies. Up to that time the assumption was proxies were always inside the library, and the SQL table schema was probably designed around that. IOW the original design did not envision ever having to relink proxies, so it's possible the SQL schema did not store proxy inodes or other info required for a relink. To avoid a schema redesign (which has various implementation and test issues), they just didn't implement inode lookup or relink for proxies.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 7, 2019 at 3:41:00 pm

[Bill Davis] "Same story as always. "

The irony! ☺

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 9, 2019 at 12:14:04 pm

[Mauricio Lleras] " finding the playhead in filmstrip mode can be a nightmare. When you matchframe to an event full of clips it sometimes is nearly impossible to tell which clip you've matchframed to and where the playhead sits..."

Just enable Skimmer Info (CTRL+Y), then nudge the skimmer one frame with K+J or K+L. You'll immediately see where it is. I always have Skimmer Info enabled, so this makes it easy to visually acquire it in the browser after matching frames.

Another tip: How to find your place when scrolling through a long list of thumbnails. Say you were looking at a clip, then did something else, then want to go back to your previous thumbnail in the browser. You don't want to scroll up and down looking for it. You don't want to do a filtered search which only shows the query results. You want a bookmark that jumps to your clip's spatial location amid an ocean of clip thumbnails.

The easy solution: use markers. They not only work on the timeline, they can also act as a positional bookmark for clips in the browser. You can apply them to clips, do something else, then jump back to the marker you left. The marked clip will be shown in context in the browser with the adjacent clips before/after it. You can also step forward and backward to the prev/next markers, which could be on other clips.

Keyboard commands for markers:

M: create marker at current skimmer location on current clip in the browser
CTRL+M: delete marker at current skimmer location
CTRL+' (apostrophe): Jump to next marker in browser
CTRL+; (semicolon): Jump to previous marker in browser
SHFT+M: Modify current marker. You can name it or make it a red "to do" marker

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Feb 21, 2019 at 7:56:01 am

I guess I'll jump in with my short list:

1. Separate audio roles in a polyphonic file into discrete roles to be worked on like a track (for filters and such)
2. Batch export frames at markers with a certain tag
3. Markers stay when making a compound clip
4. Collapse roles into a discrete compound-clip-like track
5. Saveable export information presets (Description, Creator, and Tags)
6. Reconnecting of plugins as well (so we don’t need X-FX Handler)
7. Keyboard Shortcut for original/ optimized and proxy playback
8. Add multiple clips to the timeline in the same place (like audio) so they stack rather than insert
9. Ability to turn off offline items with one button like disabling roles. Particlarly important when titles or generators are offline , but they’re in the way of the frame below.
10. A hold feature at
11. the the beginning and end of the Ken Burns effect so you don’t have to keep adding/modifying a freeze frame after the edit.
12. Duplicate x amount of times sub menu so you can create several duplicates of projects with one click - great for prepping for reels to go to ProTools
13. Display export as time remaining instead of just percentage.
14. The ability to choose fonts from a font collection like in Motion
15. Transfer text in generators via XML
16. Work on chat text titles without frame moving up, or a way for the video clip to not move.
17. Visual marker (like lines or something) on a compound clip to show where the edits are inside the clip (useful for doing sound cues on the main storyline rather than inside the compound clip)
18. Built in LTC converter (for using things like Tentacle Sync devices)
19. Batch syncing
20. Display storage/space for projects, not just events and libraries. Helpful when telling someone how much space they’d need jsut for a copy of the project and it’s elements.
21. IGTV preset (actually this is for Compressor) as it stands I can only make IGTV video in FCP X from wide-screen formats.
22. Incorporate Motion behaviors
23. More keyframe smoothing options
24. Speed ramping the FCP 7 way
25. Make the basic title generator more like Alex 4D version where you can adjust carriage returns by dragging border handles.
26. Allow copy/pasting of custom generator attributes
27. Allow applying paramater values to multiple generators of the same type at once.
28. Ability to sort events (by creation date, alphabetical, or numerically)
29. Ability to keyframe the tracking of the Custom text generator
30. Select all clips of a role type and elevate them above other clips with a command key combination (like lifting all titles above adjustment layer)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]