APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Mac Mini 2018 Or Not

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Mac Mini 2018 Or Not
on Nov 25, 2018 at 8:12:37 am

This is one of the most "informative" reviews I came across:

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Mac Mini 2018 Or Not
on Nov 25, 2018 at 5:33:03 pm

Sounds like if you want this machine for editing, you'll need to full-blown model plus an eGPU.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 27, 2018 at 7:13:53 pm

Sad Apple completely overlooked the requirements for dGPU. The MacMini should have the Vega 16 / 20 options from the MBP AT LEAST if not better - even if that would mean a larger enclosure.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 5, 2018 at 1:43:07 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Sounds like if you want this machine for editing, you'll need to full-blown model plus an eGPU."

At which point just buying an iMac is a better deal since you get a kick-ass monitor with it. I find the Mac Mini puzzling for it's lack of graphic card. They could have thrown at least something in there, if not the top of the line.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 5, 2018 at 3:50:06 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I find the Mac Mini puzzling for it's lack of graphic card. They could have thrown at least something in there, if not the top of the line."

Probably too much potential competition with the iMac if the Mini has a decent GPU, plus I think this is Apple continuing to get people used to external upgrades.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 5, 2018 at 7:00:04 pm

There are plenty of advanced applications that require a solid desktop machine within the need for a beefy GPU. Audio, for example. In that sense, the Mac Mini is a good desktop replacement machine, especially for those who already own a display, keyboard, and mouse. Or who might prefer something other than an all-in-one.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Dec 7, 2018 at 3:36:49 pm

This is true - even photoshop / illustration work has very limited requirements for a beefy GPU. However, simply having a "minimum" dGPU would make a world of difference even for general purpose computing. It would make the machine a perfect small Photoshop box for example. Now I think the Intel garbage might actually not even work with certain filters.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 7, 2018 at 5:40:18 pm

Here's a look at the Mini vs the iMac form Barefeats.

https://barefeats.com/mac-mini-versus-pro-macs.html

No surprise that anything remotely GPU related is s-l-o-w o the Mini unless it has an eGPU attached. Also interesting that a tricked-out Mini (including 5k display and eGPU) is only a little bit less than a similarly spec'd iMac Pro ($5600 vs $5800).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]