FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro running macOS 10.13.6 wont read HP Ultrium 3000 SAS

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Whayman
Mac Pro running macOS 10.13.6 wont read HP Ultrium 3000 SAS
on Oct 17, 2019 at 9:11:33 am

Hi all, was wondering if anyone could help. I'll preface this by saying that I'm new to this technology and have spent the last two days trying to get my head around everything and learn as much as I can, so apologies if I ask simple questions.

I've recently joined a new workplace at which they use a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 3000 SAS for archiving and restoring old footage with BRU PE software. I was put in charge of organising programs and making sure each workstation was running the same OS and everything was up to date, and I noticed that the Mac Pro connected to the archiving setup was running an older OS than the other systems, and so I went ahead with updating it. I couldn't update to Mojave or Catalina because this Mac Pro doesn't have the GPU requirements and so it is currently running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

The problem is that since doing this, when loading BRE PE and trying to archive or backup onto/from a tape, the program and system do not recognise that there is a tape system connected, and as such the drop down list to select one is unclickable. When looking in the System Report, the SAS device tree lists the ATTO card but it has nothing connected to it, even though the Ultrium 3000 is plugged in and turned on. I've tried numerous things to fix this, including downloading the latest HPE StoreOpen Software, updating BRU PE to the latest version, finding out that the Mac has a ATTO H644 SAS card and updating those drivers to the latest version, and also updating the corresponding ATTO SAS RAID drivers even though the extensions log says that these are not loaded.

If anyone could provide some insight and hopefully a solution then that would be greatly appreciated. There is over a decade of footage currently archived onto tapes and for this to be inaccesible would be extremely detrimental to the business.

Many thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
Re: Mac Pro running macOS 10.13.6 wont read HP Ultrium 3000 SAS
on Oct 22, 2019 at 7:08:20 pm

HPE LTFS and the BRU have nothing to do with your problem. You need to resolve the SAS connection first.

If the ATTO HBA is showing up in the system information SAS tab and says the driver is installed then you these could be your culprits:

SAS Cable is bad
SAS port on ATTO HBA is bad
Tape Drive SAS port is bad
Tape Drive Controller is bad

Probably not it.... don't try to use ATTO RAID drivers with a non-RAID card. Do make sure you have the H644 DRIVER only.

If all else fails your data is not gone. You just need to get a working computer or tape drive.

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
LTO Solutions TB3 / SAS / USB / FC
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magstor.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]