FORUMS: list search recent posts

Incremental backup software for video_Mac

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee McEachern
Incremental backup software for video_Mac
on Oct 2, 2019 at 10:38:16 pm

I've looked through the history here and might have missed something; sorry if this repeats earlier posts:

Editing a documentary, I have about 6-7 TB of data. There are sometimes changes to some of the data during the editing process. I would appreciate advice on software that can facilitate backing it all up on a regular basis during the post production period.

I can do it manually, of course, but it would be very helpful to have the process automated by software, particularly for any changes that I make to the source data during editing. It would be great to have software that would recognize the changes and back them up so that I don't have to wake time searching the drives for new/changed files to make sure they are matched on the backup drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Incremental backup software for video_Mac
on Oct 3, 2019 at 3:19:42 pm

Why not use Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, or Super Duper? The first is free with iOS, the other two are “freeware.” All of them have one form or another of automated incremental backup.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Lee McEachern
on Oct 3, 2019 at 3:55:08 pm

David, I've considered those and it would be easy, seeing as how I already use two of them for my office computers. I just bought another large drive for this backup in the studio and that made me wonder whether there is any software that might provide some sort of "video production specific" features. But, not having seen any evidence of that, I'll be taking your advice. BTW, if you use those three that you mentioned in your own studio do you have a preference, based on your experience?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 3, 2019 at 4:57:21 pm

I have always liked Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper is just as good, may have more features, but is also a tad more complicated because of those features.

Time machine is also very good for backing up media drives, but I’m not so enthused with it for backing up system drives, as my experience with it was not so good when trying to restore editing apps - it might be better now, but I haven’t tested it or trusted it in many years.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Lee McEachern
on Oct 3, 2019 at 5:45:26 pm

Thank you for your advice, David, and your years of support for people here on the COW.
Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]