FORUMS: list search recent posts

PreRoll Post Indexing Problem

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Molly Richmond
PreRoll Post Indexing Problem
on Jul 9, 2019 at 8:31:33 am

Hi,

I'm in charge of overlooking our back-up and archiving system at my company, we use HD's and Tapes to do this.

The tape deck we have is the Tandberg Data 3537-LTO HH FC External Ultrium 6 Tape Drive LTO6 LC Fibre and we use the LTO-6 Ultrium RW MP Data Cartridge (6.25TB*) *Equates to about 2.5TB compressed.

At the moment I'm experiencing some problems with indexing. Once I've backed up my files to the tape (Trying to keep each backup below 500GB) it then says
'Backup has finished, writing backup details to the database' but it never finishes which causes me to have to force quit Pre-roll post, force eject the tape, restart the computer and format the tape all over again as the files take up storage but doesn't show up that it's actually on the tape.

Our IT company have said compressing our items before putting them through Pre-Roll may work, but to my understanding that's what the program is meant to do anyway - Plus this adds another 2 hours onto the archiving process which isn't ideal. They've also said that when it happens I should cancel the backup, u unmount the tape, go to the Retrieve tab, right click on the tape (if it’s there) and choose delete drive then mount the tape, go to the Retrieve tab, right click on it and choose import files. This again is a lengthy process and I don't want to have to do this every time I need to archive something.

Few points to make clear.
- The files I'm archiving are an array of different file formats.
- This hasn't happened in the past, only recently.

Is there a way to fix this? If not, does anyone know of any alternative tape decks that don't have this problem?

Thank you in advance,
Molly

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: PreRoll Post Indexing Problem
on Jul 17, 2019 at 12:25:32 pm

This was an issue many versions ago when I used PRP to backup to LTO6. I was using a SAS LTO drive.
For this and other reasons, I had since stopped using PRP and still have a version lying around somewhere.

LTO Compression doesn't work so well with video files to LTO, so maybe you should consider writing uncompressed.

For the database writing issue, write to Imagine Products support. They'll give you a fix. From what I recall there is a way to rebuild the database.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Mark Grance
on Jul 26, 2019 at 1:44:36 pm

Neil, if you aren't using PRP what did you replace it with?

Michael

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 26, 2019 at 3:39:52 pm

My go to app is Bru PE.
For occasions that need LTFS and a detailed database, I use Yoyotta.
And for quick LTFS backups, I have 3 seats of Canister.
Occasionally use Pomfort too. If I’m doing part of a project where Pomfort was being used for the rest of the project.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]