FORUMS: list search recent posts

BRU and LTO6 verification all of sudden incredibly slow?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Scaffidi
BRU and LTO6 verification all of sudden incredibly slow?
on Apr 3, 2019 at 6:17:54 pm
Last Edited By Per Scaffidi on Apr 3, 2019 at 6:28:46 pm

Got back from a shoot a couple weeks ago with 6TB of red footage and set up a LTO6 backup to an existing tape set. Ran it once and it errored during verification—something like "can't move tape to block 343453". Ran a verification only pass and got a similar error. So I started from scratch with new tapes.

The write pass took somewhat long, a few days, and put the footage onto 5 tapes (even though it estimated 3). However the verify pass has been running excruciatingly slow. It's been running for (I believe) almost 7 days, and it's only halfway complete. On the current verifying file, there appears to be some sort of warning in BRU, but it's cut off by the window and I can't resize: "volume/ShootA/Red1/A001....etc....0307001.R3D": warn

I saw that someone else had a similar issue in December with unusually long verification times and some older posts from years past where people reported that their drive heads were possibly going bad. Does anyone have any insight? I'm hesitant to contact Tolis yet because of the tech support cost and a complaint I see here in the forum.

Mac 10.11.2
early 2008 2.8ghz quad core intel xeon
14GB DDR 2
Atto expressSAS H680
HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250
BRU PE 3.1.20.278

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
Re: BRU and LTO6 verification all of sudden incredibly slow?
on Apr 18, 2019 at 5:49:37 pm

You can download HP LTT Library & Tape Tools to run a performance and health diagnostic on your tape drive to rule the tape drive out.

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
LTO Solutions TB3 / SAS / USB / FC
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magstor.com

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
on Apr 19, 2019 at 4:46:04 pm

I was having trouble jumping through the hoops to get it to run on Mac so I plugged it into our PC to run tape tools. I received the same error several times even after running a cleaning tape once:

The soft unload operation failed to complete
Sense Key 0x06, Sense Code 0x2907 (I_T Nexus Loss Occurred), Error Code: 0x9408 SI_ERR_UA_NEXUS_LOST
Problems have been reported
The drive is no longer recommended for use

Backupworks told me that they no longer services the drives since it's more cost-effective to just upgrade. He recommended upgrading to a Magstor LTO7. Hate to just trash a tape drive but I don't see any other option than to upgrade. Probably better in the long run anyway to get a fresh LTO7 drive with a warranty.

Return to posts index

Doug Weiner
on Apr 19, 2019 at 7:01:45 pm

1) Sounds like a dirty head. Get a new cleaning tape. They don't last nearly as long as I have heard. I have experienced 10 cleanings or so and then was done. Try that first.

2) The tape heads can be checked out, cleaned and resurfaced if need be. There are two people I kind of remember who service them. One guy in the LA area (got his name off of COW - but he was on vacation at the time so I didn't use him) and another in Chicago http://www.mwtss.com. I used the latter and they did good work. They just cleaned and tested my drive. Sent back a bunch of reports.

I bet your LTO 6 drive is not bad yet. Those things are meant to take a serious, serious beating.

Doug

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
on Apr 19, 2019 at 7:36:00 pm

Thanks for the info -- I'll give them a call and report back. For what it's worth, I used a brand-new cleaning tape.

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
on Jun 5, 2019 at 10:29:00 pm

UPDATE: Couldn't figure out how to get tape tools running on the Mac so I swapped the drive over to the PC and ran it. Got several errors.

I sent it out to Midwest Technical and they diagnosed bad heads. Got it taken care of quickly and easily. Definitely recommend them.

Just ran the project backup again and everything is working as normal. Used just over two tapes as it estimated and its running much quieter too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]