FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mark IV Jello / Rolling Shutter, or Lens IS Feedback loop?

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Whitlock
5D Mark IV Jello / Rolling Shutter, or Lens IS Feedback loop?
on Dec 18, 2019 at 3:50:03 pm

Hey all, for the past few months I've been filming weddings with my 5D Mark IV on a tripod with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM. This warbling effect has always been noticeable in the footage, and I believed it to be the infamous rolling shutter of the 5D Mark IV running into issues. However, I just learned of this thing called Lens IS Feedback loop, which is when a lens with IS is put on a tripod it freaks itself out -- it's often windy at these weddings, so I pretty much always turn it on.

Is my footage an example of 5D Mark IV rolling shutter, or a Lens IS Feedback Loop? (uploaded in 4k, effect is more noticeable on larger screen)

First clip: wind was on and off, but this effect remained on all of the footage. Especially look at the flowers on the arbor.
Second clip: just a little wind. Again, look at the flowers on the arbor.
Third clip: tons of wind, but the effect is ALL OVER this one.
Fourth clip: Filmed with the 5D Mark IV on a 24-70mm f/2.8, which does not have IS, and ironically it does not seem to have the problem, which is what has led me to wonder if the others are lens IS feedback loop.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: 5D Mark IV Jello / Rolling Shutter, or Lens IS Feedback loop?
on Dec 19, 2019 at 12:23:04 am

It's definitely rolling shutter jello. The reason it doesn't appear on your last clip is because it is shot on a shorter lens--the tiny movements of the camera and body in the wind are amplified greatly when shooting a long focal length, resulting in a "bigger" movement of the image relative to the sensor. When the camera jiggles during the exposure, you get the rolling shutter jello that you're seeing. In my experience, the lens' IS is not really designed to cope with this for video, so it doesn't help much.

Warp stabilizer may be able to help with this--set it to 5-10% stability (rather than the default 50%), enable Detailed Analysis, and see what you get. It's a bummer to have to apply it to a lot of clips, but it's better than delivering a product you're unhappy with.

A beefier tripod (or hanging a weight from the center of a lighter tripod) may help a bit!

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
Re: 5D Mark IV Jello / Rolling Shutter, or Lens IS Feedback loop?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 12:01:38 pm

I get such "effects' when wind is hitting the camera on a zoomed in tele lens or vibration.

When filming critical stuff I alway put up a wind screen taking off the worst blows

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Color Monitor - Get Your Color Balance Right
Get it on the AppStore Today -- Pro Color Monitor MacAppStore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]