FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tokina 11-16 f2.8 vs. Samyang 14mm t3.1 cine

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic Reagan
Tokina 11-16 f2.8 vs. Samyang 14mm t3.1 cine
on May 17, 2019 at 6:24:09 pm

I'm trying to decide between the Samyang 14mm and the Tokina 11-16mm. I'm looking at these lenses because I need a very wide angle budget option with a wide aperture (and Canon's wides aren't exactly budget-friendly). I've seen a review for each of these lenses, and the main issues with each are:

The Samyang has issues with distortion and vignetting. Also, not to sound like a cliché youtuber, but its bokeh isn't great.

The Tokina has issues with soft and blurry corners and sometimes heavy chromatic aberration.

Samyang review:

Tokina review:

I'm leaning more toward the tokina but am worried that the problems with sharpness will render it unusable for a professional shoot, both for photography and videography.

Note: I am an amateur photographer/videographer who is just getting into paid jobs. I might be able to get away with these issues, since I will not have any high-end gigs for a while. Still, I want the footage coming out usable ☺

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Tokina 11-16 f2.8 vs. Samyang 14mm t3.1 cine
on May 19, 2019 at 6:33:37 pm

Can you rent both and try them yourself to make the comparison?

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 21, 2019 at 4:59:37 pm

Warren's right--if you can, go someplace and test them out, or rent them, if you're super worried about it.

Distortion and vignetting come with the territory with ultrawides--it's part of the charm. I've shot professional timelapse work on the Samyang (or rather, the rebadged Bower version, it's the same glass inside). Nobody complained.

You say you're just getting into paid gigs--unless you're shooting wide open and delivering to IMAX, it's likely that the issues you're worried about won't make a difference. Stop the lens down a little, and go do some work! Cheap, good-enough tools are great because you can make money on them long enough to buy better ones, and not cry about the sunk cost.

Without having used the Tokina, I can't comment on it. The Samyang/Bower is fine--perfectly usable. However, Tokina products are great! I would buy one of their lenses without hesitation if it filled a niche that i needed filled.

Ultimately, lots of people overthink this stuff; every piece of equipment has limitations, and learning to navigate the tools in order to get your work done is a big part of this industry.

Return to posts index

Dominic Reagan
on May 22, 2019 at 2:00:19 am

Thanks guys! Actually, I ended up using a Sigma 18-35. While its not quite as wide as the others, I'd rather spend the money on other equipment since I can use the Sigma for free. Thank you for your advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]