FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to get different aspect ratios on my DSLR?

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
Is there a way to get different aspect ratios on my DSLR?
on Dec 28, 2018 at 11:32:23 pm

When it comes to Canon DSLRS do they have softwares or apps that you can put on the camera card to shoot in wider aspect ratio options that are more wide than 16:9?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Is there a way to get different aspect ratios on my DSLR?
on Dec 28, 2018 at 11:50:12 pm

No. It's a physical limitation of the sensor--there are no more pixels there to shoot wider. Even 16x9 is just a crop of the actual 3:2 sensor size--so you could always just crop it more in post, it would have the same effect.

You can always screw around with anamorphic lens adapters.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Dec 29, 2018 at 1:20:01 am

Yeah that's what I mean is can I crop it in camera.

The problem with doing it in post, is that I still have to frame it in the correct aspect ratio while shooting. If I save it for post, then it is not correctly framed. Is there anyway I can get the aspect ratio in the camera before shooting in order to be able to frame it correctly?

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Dec 29, 2018 at 6:16:50 pm

Ryan,

If you install the free MagicLantern software on your camera, if you camera model supports it, you can crop in camera and even do 2:39 cinemascope. They are working on a version that supports shooting 4K on certain Canon DSLRs as well.

I've used ML for years to shoot CinemaDNG RAW in different aspect ratios. There are even frame guides as well as the ability to add your own.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jan 3, 2019 at 6:33:51 pm

Okay thanks. I was told that they didn't make a magic lantern yet for the latest Canon camera I was going to get. But maybe they will soon.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Feb 4, 2019 at 10:25:20 am

no, magic lantern is dead on newer canon cameras – they changed firmware and simply blocked out any hacks.
but ML is enabling so much stuff on older models that make them a lot more interesting and valuable.
if you can, get a 5D mk3 and enjoy the wonders of ML! and the 4K crop build is already out but you need to download the "experimental" versions

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Feb 4, 2019 at 2:18:21 pm

Okay thanks. When you say 4k crop build, are you saying that magic lantern can add 4K to an HD camera?

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Feb 4, 2019 at 3:04:35 pm

only the 5Dmk3 can – in theory – record 4K in 1:1 sensor read-out (4x crop) via ML in RAW 14bit. depending on the speed of the memory card. more realistic is up to 3.5K though and not continuously but in bursts (for now). but 2.5K run smoothly in crop mode and obviously FHD without the crop. but the 4K crop experimental build enables you to use this particular crop also for normal h264 recordings giving you FHD but nearly 4 times the focal length

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Feb 4, 2019 at 3:08:25 pm

Okay thanks, but how would you have 4 times the focal length? Are you saying to shoot as close as you can to 4k and then zoom it in post?

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Feb 4, 2019 at 3:46:17 pm

you can familiarise yourself how ML RAW 1:1 crop works in the ML forums and descriptions.

very short story: as the name suggests it's a 1:1 sensor read-out as opposed to normal canon video mode where the full sensor is used but scaled down to FHD. 1:1 means pixel-perfect, so it's a strong center crop and only parts of the sensor are used – the only way to record in such high quality because processing power and memory speed are very limited.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Feb 4, 2019 at 4:09:31 pm

Oh okay. So you record in 4K, then it's not using the whole frame, you are saying? But how is this possible on an HD sensor, since an HD sensor does not actually have enough pixels on it, to get up to 4K or even around 3K?

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Feb 4, 2019 at 4:36:14 pm

you do not understand how DSLRs work – they are for photography, so obviously they have a much higher resolution and pixel count on the sensor. if you take a look at the specs of, say the 5Dmk3, you see it's around 5K. so, if you read out the full sensor you need to scale down to make recording work. magic lantern circumvents that and delivers direct read-outs but at the cost of sensor surface. magic lantern even adds HDR and dual-iso which brings the full dynamic range (14 stops – the most popular digital cinema cameras by ARRI only provide 13), to your footage, but it needs post-processing and does not work out of the box. this is another matter though.

in ML you can choose different aspects in RAW mode, without crop only 1920x1080 is the maximum though. you can shoot in scope or flat, which would refer to 1920x803 and 1920x1038 respective. for anything beyoond you would need to use crop and an extremely fast CF (not SD)

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Feb 4, 2019 at 6:57:10 pm

Oh okay. So you are saying that with MF, I can use a full frame and shoot in a 1:1 aspect ratio if I wish though?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]