FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photo umbrellas for video lights?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Castiglioni
Photo umbrellas for video lights?
on Jan 13, 2016 at 4:19:23 pm

We have some really nice large photo umbrellas in our studio. My coworker said he didn't think it was a good idea to use those umbrellas made for strobes with video lights since they aren't made for the constant heat. Anyone ever used photo umbrellas with video lights? It would save money to be able to use the umbrellas for dual purposes.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Photo umbrellas for video lights?
on Jan 14, 2016 at 9:50:59 am

I use them more than I imagined years ago.

Started when somebody right in this forum made a comment about them that changed my long practice of totally ignoring them.

Yes, they're a bad match for Tungsten, Quartz or HMI hot lights unless you watch CAREFULLY for overheating. But coupled with some good strong cool LED sources - they can easily take the place of a broad like an old school Lowel Tota, or a classic tungsten open-face instrument. Largely because today's camera chips are so much more sensitive and need so much less light.

I travel with a few, because they're a ) cheap b) lightweight and c) used carefully, push out a nice pop of soft light to bring up the face of an interviewee in in a high key friendly environment like an office, a classroom or a restaurant.

Battery LED, lightweight stand, and reflective umbrella is WAY easier to work with than the old school standard of running a stinger to a front heavy hot light on a C-Stand with a softbox on it. Not even close.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]