FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming permission contracts for orchestras

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Robertson
Filming permission contracts for orchestras
on Nov 15, 2015 at 4:16:46 pm

I have been involved with many shootings of orchestras with and without soloists.
I know that the requirements are to get permission from: the orchestra, soloist, conductor and concert hall authorities.
I have just returned from an assignment where my client claimed to have obtained all these permissions. The shooting involved a european flight and 3 overnight stays.
I arrived at the venue and after many discussions it was agreed that I could film.
I set up an array of mics and 4 cameras. When members of the orchestra arrived, some complained that this was not agreed on and refused to play unless I removed all the mics and cameras except a small sony CX730. Needless to say that our filming goal was ruined.
Question: is there a filming approval text that covers all possibilites of multi-cam and cd audio recording that will not frighten off the subject (orchestra, soloist, conductor etc).
I would be very grateful to recieve such a contract text so that this will not occur again.
Thanks
Peter

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Filming permission contracts for orchestras
on Nov 15, 2015 at 6:53:53 pm

I suspect that with that diverse an array of potentially involved IP rights holders (performers, the orchestra as an entity, the composer, etc) you're in the territory where to do this properly, you'll need legal advice well beyond what you can get here.

Somebody has to figure out, for example, whether any contracts in force between the individual musicians and the orchestra (as a business entity, if it is one) allow the orchestra to control the synchronization rights for everyone - or whether those need to be done with each individual musician.

Plus, rights aren't the same across countries or jurisdictions. So you'll have to be aware of which national and international IP laws will be in play.

Basically, you'll almost surely need professional help to do this properly.

My 2 cents. FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Peter Robertson
Re: Filming permission contracts for orchestras
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:57:21 pm
Last Edited By Peter Robertson on Nov 24, 2015 at 6:57:56 am

Hi Bill
Many thanks for your answer.
I think the person who did the contact work for us was a little inexperienced. However it was the first time that I have been confronted with a complaint that the equipment was "too professional" after receiving permission. Everything was very discrete. I have even taken camera cranes to film an orchestra session with no problem.

Many thanks for your interest Bill.

Best
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]