FORUMS: list search recent posts

What happened to Anton Bauer battery - are they for real or a declining company?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
What happened to Anton Bauer battery - are they for real or a declining company?
on Jun 29, 2015 at 1:11:20 am

As my current Dionic 90 batteries are aging (after 5 years of service), I have to get new replacement. Sadly the Dionic 90s are no longer in production. Dionic HC is way too expensive. Their new Digital 90 is quite shockingly bad. Not that I care much for the kid-like design, it won't fit my current expensive custom foam that will fit the Dionic 90 and not the odd Digital 90. Fortunately Switronic HyperCore 98 is a good alternative and the price is right (about $330 vs $500 for the Dionic HC).

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: What happened to Anton Bauer battery - are they for real or a declining company?
on Jul 4, 2015 at 12:39:48 pm

Not sure if the design of the Dionic 90 allows for this, but on other AB-style batteries having the internal cells replaced is a relatively simple and much less expensive way to go.

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
A couple of points about batteries - Grant's research
on Aug 23, 2015 at 4:17:16 pm
Last Edited By Grant Peacock on Oct 3, 2015 at 8:51:34 am

Sam,

I did a LOT of research over an extended period recently, mostly Q&A with a person who built batteries for a living but is now out of the business. I was ready to change out from a legacy LiON system, and the batteries he had made were finally wearing out.

I'm going to tell you that the company you mentioned is capable of producing a batch of very poor batteries (it has to do with the way they manage inventory, bulk-buying the component cells and then leaving them to age in storage) - thus it can happen that your 'new' battery is significantly deteriorated before you ever put it on the camera for the first time. DC area network crews have had this happen to them.

Re-celling LiON? Don't ever attempt this, and don't send your batteries to anyone who claims that they do this. It's too dangerous. LiON battery packs that have expired need to be sent off to a competent recycling facility.

Final comment - finding 'best of breed' in battery manufacture now is an extraordinarily tricky process. Nearly ALL the cheap battery packs out there are Chinese-originated junk (I may as well call them what they are), and you'll get exactly the results you should expect with these (a service life of say 10%-20% of what would be available from quality battery systems).

I trust PAG, probably the best available in terms of quality and engineering, but they're crushingly expensive (I had to do a total changeover of chargers and battery packs, for multiple camera packages). I went with IDX DUO 150WH LiON battery packs and am very happy. These are configured with a USB port on each battery body. With a press of a button, I can swap power from the V-Mount terminals, delivering 14 Volts, to activating the USB port and thereby charging phones, etc, in the field. We're also dual-purposing these to run LitePanel 1 x 1 LED lights, and the power draw is significant.

One last comment on the manufacturer you referenced - they've adopted some nasty restrictive practices in the past, closing out parts of their system to the possibility of interoperability, where it would otherwise have been logical and possible. I'm not a fan, as you can see.

Good luck.

Grant.

Grant Peacock
Washington DC

http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]