FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raccoon eyes

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Raccoon eyes
on May 27, 2015 at 1:33:36 pm

I wish there was an easy solution to this, but if there isn't this post is just a complaint about something that I've run into multiple times. That is "raccoon eyes" caused by the subject of a talking head shot spending way too much time in the sun while wearing sunglasses.

Sure one can like spending the weekend on his or her boat or the golf course but come Monday, Tuesday or sometimes even later in the week, their face is one color and the rings around their eyes are a pale white. I can easily fix raccoon eyes on a still in Photoshop but don't have the tools or knowledge of performing this fix in video. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: Raccoon eyes
on May 27, 2015 at 2:57:56 pm

A good make up person.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on May 27, 2015 at 6:29:11 pm

Yes. That's a very good solution if:

a)There was a way to know in advance from whom this would be needed, and

b)Client budgets would allow for a make-up/hair/stylist person (which they almost never do).

Guess I'm looking for a post-production solution with Pixar quality on a Bollywood featurette budget.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 1, 2015 at 3:51:33 pm

I've got an idea, might or might not work.

Sample the skin color in a place that got sun.

Apply that color to a light in motion, motion track the light to lock it to the face, mask with a soft edge to confine the lighting to the eye area.

I did something like this a long time back using Boris effects on an interview with an LPGA player wearing a ball cap with a long bill, in the sun. in that case, it was a virtual bounce card to light up the dark place on the face under the hat. In your case, it would also be colored light, or a virtual grad filter, colored to match the skin tone, playing with transparency.

Failing that, the FCPEffects.com store has a skin blending filter that you might adapt to the task.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 1, 2015 at 4:21:52 pm

Thanx, Mark. It's the whole tracking thing that I'm trying to avoid the massive amount of labor it would take to do it right. Chances are their is no better solution than bringing along a make-up person whether they're needed or not.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:18:04 pm

Hi Nick,

Interesting problem. You're right, that a make-up artist is usually not in the budget. But maybe carrying along some make-up cream would help.

The smart-aleck in me would suggest a wide shot, or perhaps a silhouette. But I never would.

Good luck!

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]