FORUMS: list search recent posts

seeking app for marking good takes by time-of-day timecode

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
seeking app for marking good takes by time-of-day timecode
on May 22, 2015 at 1:40:48 am

For interviews, I'd like to find an app which would enable me to create a list of the best sound bites, simply by discreetly pressing a button. I've found it to be disruptive when the producer interrupts the session to ask me for the timecode after a good statement. The camera would be on time-of-day timecode.

Anybody find a good app for that?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: seeking app for marking good takes by time-of-day timecode
on May 25, 2015 at 6:31:48 am

Hey Bob,

[Bob Cole] "I'd like to find an app which would enable me to create a list of the best sound bites, simply by discreetly pressing a button. I've found it to be disruptive when the producer interrupts the session to ask me for the timecode after a good statement."

I seem to remember several attempts by both Sony and Panasonic to introduce an in-camera good shot marker.

However, sadly none of those will stop the producer asking you to give them a TimeCode - as ultimately, the Producer knows what clip is best for them, and that is likely never to change ;-)

A better solution, and one that could be chargeable, could be to offer a "video assist" type monitor with BITC that the producer can hold. Companies like Black Magic do them.

But if you could stream/Wifi it locally straight out of the camera to an iPad or similar, then that might be easier to manage for the producer + less cables for you.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: seeking app for marking good takes by time-of-day timecode
on May 26, 2015 at 10:08:28 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on May 26, 2015 at 10:10:23 pm

(((OOPS, sorry, I didn't notice I wasn't in a FCP X group - so if you're not using that - this doest apply. Sorry. )))

Bob,

Intelligent Assistance's Lumberjack does this and a whole lot more. You can not only mark good takes, but apply pre set keywords in real time. Actually, BETTER tan real time, since you can pre-set a delay so that when you figure out you like the take, you have anywhere up to 30 seconds to tag it as a circle take.

I'd assume you should setup a simple app in something like Filemarker or Bento (both mobile friendly) to capture TOD into a field with the tap of a key.

At the FCPWorks demos at NAB, the guys from the indy film Suburban Cowboy talked about doing just that. Giving iPads to the Sound team and having them do their notes on that, and how quick and easy it was to incorporate their notes directly into X using a simple import operation after the fact,

Might want to check that out.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]