FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless boom mic solutions

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Lehner
Wireless boom mic solutions
on Mar 30, 2015 at 2:56:54 pm

I'm looking for a solution to wirelessly send audio from my Rode NTG-3 (phantom powered) to my FS-700 but still have my audio guy be able to monitor sound. I know there are many options like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025769-REG/sony_utx_p03_30_plug_on_t... But then there is no way for my boom operator to monitor audio. I could use another wireless transmitter to send audio back to him but then its another transmitter that has to hang on the camera. Does anyone know of an option that would supply phantom power, send a wireless signal and also have a jack for my audio guy to monitor?

Obviously I can just use my H4n and sync later but the nature of the shooting is very run and gun with lots of spontaneous starting and stoping. . . having the audio already in camera is essential in this situation.

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Wireless boom mic solutions
on Mar 31, 2015 at 2:52:02 am

Hello Nathan,

two solutions:

Give your boom op a Sound Devices MM-1.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/portable-audio-tools/mm-1

Connect your favorite transmitter to the output of the MM-1.

The responsibility to make sure the audio makes the trip then falls on the Camera Op, who must ALWAYS listen with headphones to confirm there are no dropouts.

Or Get a Zaxcom TRX 742 plugon transmitter that records right at the transmitter. If the RF link fails, it doesn't matter.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Nathan Lehner
Re: Wireless boom mic solutions
on Mar 31, 2015 at 2:50:51 pm

Thanks Ty. Good solutions there. I think the MM-1 will do just the trick. Boom op can monitor and make on the fly adjustment. . . send the signal to the camera and camera op monitors the audio into the camera. Perfect.

Thanks,
Nate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]