FORUMS: list search recent posts

Travel to China with gear

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cline
Travel to China with gear
on Mar 28, 2015 at 4:11:05 pm

Hello,
So I just landed my dream freelance gig. Heading to China in a few weeks to film a documentary, well it's more of a corporate style video wrapped up in a doc, but that's okay. I've read through quite a few message boards and have searched this one as well, I'm just trying to understand how much gear I can get into the country and be okay. I plan on bringing a camera (fs 100), batteries, media cards, 2 wireless lavs, tripod, 37" slider, and I'm still figuring out my light situation. I'll be solo production guy with a producer and traveling with a group of Chinese nationals, so translating/knowing the area should be a little easier too. Does anyone have any insight or advice to share on this project?

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
Re: Travel to China with gear
on Mar 30, 2015 at 12:49:26 am

Hi Michael. I've travelled to China a lot on work. I usually carry my editing MacBook Pro, another MBP for GFX, two external thunderbolt RAIDs, video I/Os, a drone for aerial filming, all the chargers and batteries required and either a GH3 or A7S. I've had no problems at all going through the immigration. But, my colleagues have tried to bring in ENG cameras and they always get questioned, and most of the times are refused permission to take the cameras past immigration. It's difficult to bring broadcast cameras into China without going through the red tape. So, these days, we rent the cameras in China.
So, do ask your Chinese contacts about the process. With your equipment list, I'd apply for a carnet too, just to be safe.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]