FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dragon Dictation software for mac for interview transcriptions?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Sims
Dragon Dictation software for mac for interview transcriptions?
on Feb 17, 2015 at 9:04:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I did a little test on the free dragon app and had a great result, recognized two separate speakers and was pretty spot on with the transcription. Only problem is there is a time restriction that won't work for normal interviews. Spoke with the folks at Dragon but they said that since the paid version trains on a single persons voice that initially sets it up it may or may not work with an interview.

Anyone try this or have any success with any other products. Would love to save the time and not send the interviews out for transcription if there's another option out there.

Thanks,
Rich

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Dragon Dictation software for mac for interview transcriptions?
on Feb 20, 2015 at 2:41:09 am

There isn't.

Even if software translation reaches 99.5% accuracy that's still basically an error every 200 words. Which means you have to listen back in real time to find the mistakes and either decide they're irrelevant or fix them.

For long form, a good human transcriptionist is worth it.

For short form, learn to touch type and practice, practice, practice - or hire someone else who can.

My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Rich Sims
on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:19:40 am

Agree with you on all points.

Also, already a very fast touch typer and was just trying to save some time in a very busy schedule. Also agree with the mistakes but sometimes I just need a "not exactly word for word" translation.

I tech can help great, but if not than so be it as well.

Just out of interest, I have my regular transcription service (Bureau of Office Services) but which one do you recommend. Always nice to have options.

Take care,
Rich

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:23:44 pm

The technique that works best -- I've heard from others and not tried myself -- is to playback a recording of those speaking and then you yourself read that, in just your voice, into the Dragon software. Like most things audio, mic placement is critical. I'm not familiar with current Dragon software, but one used to have to train it your voice and that made accuracy much, much better. Here again is where a single, well mic'd voice will get the best results.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 9, 2015 at 4:29:32 pm

They call that "re-speaking", and it's the way I plan to approach it myself, unless Apple adds a killer new captioning plug-in to FCPX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]