FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two-Toned wall as background in video shoot...

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dre Mark
Two-Toned wall as background in video shoot...
on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:44:57 pm

I'm presented with a new problem and am trying to troubleshoot before the shoot day (two days from now).

I'll be on location at a business who's walls are two-tone: light grey at the top and bright red carpet on the bottom (yes, carpet on the wall). The shots will be medium & close-ups for an interview segment (just the grey will be behind the subject) but I HAVE to do full body shots and the red carpet on the wall will be in the shot.

There is no other location at the business to use. I really want to make the two-tone wall work but I'm cringing at what the full length shot looks like in my head.

I do have a dark grey backdrop I can bring. Is that the best solution? Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Two-Toned wall as background in video shoot...
on Jan 14, 2015 at 6:44:30 pm

If you can get far enough away from the full body shots, and the subjects can get far enough away from the wall, you can zoom to the long end (higher mm) of your lens, add density filters and open the iris for a very shallow depth of field. At least that way the blur of where the red meets the gray will be a lot less distracting than a hard line.

Other than that the backdrop seems like the best way to go. Any chance of having a gray that's a close match to the wall so there's some continuity between the close-ups and the full body shots?

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jan 14, 2015 at 6:57:39 pm

Do you have control of the ambient/ceiling/window lighting? You can turn off all the lights and primarily light your subject, letting the light fall off the background, keeping the wall fairly dark so it's not so obnoxious.

Steve

Return to posts index

Dre Mark
on Jan 14, 2015 at 7:17:53 pm

Thanks guys!
The room is fairly small, so we can't get the subject too far from the wall, and there is a lot of natural light (no window shades available). I think I'll try the backdrop. I can shoot all the shots with the backdrop so there's no continuity issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]