FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Gear is Next?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Callum Lawrence
What Gear is Next?
on Nov 25, 2014 at 9:31:35 am

Hey there.

So, let me get straight to it. I'm a 17-jobless guy with a passion for filmmaking. I own a 550d, 50mm, rode videomic, couple of cheap chinese LED lights, one of those spider shoulder mounts from ebay that barely works, and a 16gb sd card. Thats basically it - doesnt seem like much when you put all on paper. Anyways, with christmas coming up I want to invest in some new gear. I know its a steep price for quality in this industry, but I've only got about $300 to spend. Ive looked at filmcity's fc-3 camera arm, but i feel like a matte box isnt all that necessary, and might not work with my 50mm anyway. Im usually doing handheld stuff, action mostly. Im just really stuck as to what i should buy next - ive basically got the basics, and im not sure where to start upgrading I feel like maybe a viewfinder and follow focus would be a good start, but im not too sure.

Any advice on where to start would be really really appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: What Gear is Next?
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:58:58 pm

Hey Callum,

[Callum Lawrence] "I'm a 17-jobless guy with a passion for filmmaking"

At $300 a filmcity's fc-3 camera arm, viewfinder or a follow focus will not give you more work - so IMHO don't waste your money on it.

Instead use it to make more productions, put together a show-reel, do a bit of local networking, make a website - do anything and everything to get noticed by those people who will pay you for your passion. Once the work comes in, by all means use all of your dollars on toys.

When that is said, I'm guessing that the viewfinder will help provide you with sharper images - and that is never a bad thing when it comes to video...

My 5c.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]