FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mains Hum Shielding

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Avanti
Mains Hum Shielding
on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:53:02 am

Hello all,

I have been getting mains hum recorded to my audio after starting to use a new mains powered camera light. So I am thinking to replace the mains cable of the light with one that has some kind of shielding to see if that will stop it or help to reduce it.

The cable it has at the moment is quite thin and does not have any shielding I can see just 3 core with an out plastic/pvc sleeve by the looks of it. When I move around the hum changes, its intermittent and the amount changes etc as I move when shooting. It occurred in different locations and does seem to be the light, mostly when it is moving, rather than some other location source. It is mounted to a steel camera rig when I shoot with it and the hum occurs on both on camera mics and off camera mics.

However I have no knowledge of shielding types etc for power cables or what might reduce mains hum transmission. If any one could possibly help with any names/types/specifications it would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the England, UK ie 250v 50hz. The light is 300w and imported from Germany, I already removed the euro plug and changed it for a UK mains plug.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]