Rode NTG-2 with Canon 550D

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Hall
Rode NTG-2 with Canon 550D
on Aug 28, 2014 at 1:59:22 pm
Last Edited By Peter Hall on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:58:18 pm

Hi,

I am making a short film and, having previously used only my Canon 550D's inbuilt mic for all audio recording, would like to up my production value and get some decent sound.
I have been looking at the Rode NTG-2 and various Tascam audio recorders and the Zoom H4N. It seems from what I've heard that a decent audio recorder is essential as the pre-amps in the camera are not so great, giving a low signal/noise ratio. However some mic-recorder combinations (such as the NTG-2 with the H4N) require the gain to be turned right up before the volume is at an audible level.
I have also been looking into field mixers...if I was to plug the Rode mic into one of these would I be able to then feed that directly to the camera? And if so, would the gain need to be turned right up?

I have the camera, so I would need to buy at least a mic, a recorder and/or a field mixer. For a low budget production how might I get the best results?

Sorry if this all comes across a bit ignorant, I really need some advice!

Many thanks,
Pete

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Rode NTG-2 with Canon 550D
on Sep 6, 2014 at 4:27:28 pm

I'd recommend the Magic Lantern firmware for the 550D, it gives you metering and the ability to turn off the AGC, which you need to do (as well as a bunch of other things that improve the 550D as a video camera).

I've had some decent results using a JuicedLink CX231 preamp and the Rode mic, but was never really happy with the way I had the headphone monitoring set up, so I'm now using a Tascam DR60D, which I think is the best/most versatile solution on a budget at the moment.

So I reckon the Rode mic and a DR60D would be a good choice, install Magic Lantern and spend whatever cash you have left on glass ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]