FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Video Segment Involving Speaker Phone

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Bethel
Shooting Video Segment Involving Speaker Phone
on Jun 25, 2014 at 8:27:17 pm

I am working on a project that is going to include a lot of shooting with an "on-screen" participant on speaker phone.

What is my best bet to get good, useable audio on this?

Thanks!

Have a COW, man.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Shooting Video Segment Involving Speaker Phone
on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:35:39 pm
Last Edited By Nick Griffin on Jun 26, 2014 at 8:43:14 pm

If the phone is not in the shot just position the mic near the speaker and adjust volume of the phone to the gain of the mic. If the phone IS in the shot you can probably position a small omni lav mic behind or to the side of the phone so it won't be visible but still pick-up the speaker effectively.

The big issue here (hear, sorry bad pun) is to not overdrive the mic or its pre-amp input. Another issue that may or may not be a problem is having the phone mic also pic-up the speaker, who I assume will also be mic'd. For that the simplest way is to record to two separate channels and duck the opposite one in post when the other one is the primary side of the conversation.

One other tool, if you don't need to show a phone, is an external phone box like the Gentner. These are what talk radio uses for establishing the best balance between the caller and the on-mic host.

Hope this helps. You may want to consider re-asking the question on the audio COW, too.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:39:48 am

[Nick Griffin] "One other tool, if you don't need to show a phone, is an external phone box like the Gentner. These are what talk radio uses for establishing the best balance between the caller and the on-mic host."

For more information do a search on DIGITAL HYBRID.

A few companies make them. I use a JK Audio Innkeeper.

They electronically capture a telephone line and allow you to set the balance between the level of the phone and the level of a balanced audio feed - while sending mixed audio both down the phone line to the person calling in as well as to a balanced connection for recording.

The electronics in the unit provide the maximum separation between the incoming and outgoing sources so that you don't end up simply adding the incoming phone line signal to the microphone signal of the in-studio host - which is what happens when you just mic a phone in an "on camera" interview situation.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jun 26, 2014 at 1:40:56 pm

I use one of these with an analog phone line. Practice with it first of course.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284518-REG/JK_Audio_INLINE_InLine_Pat...

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]