FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to tape a seminar: what do I do?! :-)

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
xavier pilsudksi
I need to tape a seminar: what do I do?! :-)
on May 13, 2014 at 7:40:54 pm

Hi all

I need to record a 4 hour seminar with a spoke person on stage and also the Q&A that will follow.
I;ve never done this before so I have a few questions and any tips will be welcome:

Audio:
How do I record the questions from the audience (a mic will be passed around)? I guess by connecting to the audio board?.... But how do I do that?...
I am also planning on having a lav on the spoke person.

Video:
I plan on using 2 DSLR: T3i

No lights

Any sugestions?

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: I need to tape a seminar: what do I do?! :-)
on May 13, 2014 at 9:08:51 pm

Can this be done with just two T3i cameras? Don't they have something like a 30 minute shot length before the sensor overheats and they have to cool down for a while before shooting again?

As to the audio, you will need a mixer that can take a "line level" signal from the main sound board and output (what I believe to be) the mic level the camera is expecting to receive.

I've been asked to do projects like this several times and, after giving a price, each time I explain that hours of a live speaker make for complete and total snore-a-vision -- something that very few people will be willing to watch because a live speaker can make eye contact and find other ways to maintain interest that a video cannot. I then suggest that they develop an outline of the high points of the presentation and produce that as a much shorter video with just a few of the very best segments using footage of the speaker.

Oh, and by the way, in my experience most presenters find it hard to believe that four solid hours of them talking won't make fascinating TV. I chalk that up to ego over realism.

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksi
on May 13, 2014 at 10:17:33 pm

I never heard of the 30 min limit for the T3i... Did you experience it?
What camera would you recommend?

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on May 14, 2014 at 2:36:27 pm

I have no experience with the T3i. I do know that this overheating of the sensor has been a problem for many video-capable DSLRs. I suggest you run a test to find out.

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksi
on May 14, 2014 at 3:44:19 pm

I did some research and you're right that the T3i might overheat.
And all Canon DSLR have a 29.99 min lim.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 16, 2014 at 2:14:00 pm

Yes, a camcorder is the better way to do these, as I've done them a number of times. DSLRs are not designed for this kind of work. That said, if you end up doing more of these, a way to do it is to sell your T3i and get a 5d that has clean HDMI output and then buy an external recorder like a Ninja that allows you to surpass the 30 minute limit. Why do that? So you still have your DSLR look that you like, and actually improve your quality. But really, if you are going to do this kind of work, investing in a camcorder is really the way to go. You can find lots of cheap used gear out there for this, or rent one if you live near a city.

I've fallen back to only doing audio taping of these kind of things. I reserve the video for pulling clips to do a shorter presentation of "best of". That way if something really unique happens you have it "in the can" but don't waste time editing unless it's necessary.

I can turn around an audio tape in an hour and put it on Soundcloud. That allows people to do what they really want to do, which is listen to the taping. Next to that, I might include the speakers powerpoint presentations.

Al

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksi
on May 16, 2014 at 2:31:27 pm

[Al Bergstein] "Yes, a camcorder is the better way to do these"

went for an HMC40 with XLR adapter and rod mic, 55hrs of usage. Not the best but not the worse and I think for the price it'll do a lot.

[Al Bergstein] "5d that has clean HDMI output and then buy an external recorder like a Ninja "

nice to know... I had no idea...

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 16, 2014 at 2:40:08 pm

I think that was a good choice. Best of luck!

Al

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on May 16, 2014 at 2:41:56 pm

Thanks Al!

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on May 16, 2014 at 2:48:39 pm

BUT... does one camera solve the problem of "continuous" coverage? What Xavier needs to do is coordinate with the speaker WHEN his breaks will occur and plan accordingly taking into account the length that can be gotten on the cards available. OR record at a lower resolution (which may be fine for some people, especially web use) making it plausible to get the entire 4 hours on one disk.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on May 16, 2014 at 2:51:12 pm

I am actually planning to record 720 instead of 1080 on a 32gb card.
There will be coffee breaks I assume but i'll definetlly talk to the organisers so they're aware.

Thx AL

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 16, 2014 at 3:35:45 pm

On my camcorders, I have the ability to record continuously, so when one card fills up it falls over to the second card, and I can remove the card and insert a new one. Many camcorders, even low end ones, now have that option. It's worth buying that feature if you are doing events. The 5D might be able to do that, I've not checked, but it does come with an SD and a CF card slot. Never tried it actually.

Al

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on May 16, 2014 at 3:37:24 pm

Only one card slot on mine...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]