FORUMS: list search recent posts

News: Barnes Takes on Alaska for Hostile Environment Adventure Gear

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cow News Droid
News: Barnes Takes on Alaska for Hostile Environment Adventure Gear
on Dec 11, 2013 at 2:12:19 am

(Shelton, Connecticut--December 11, 2013) Adventure cinematographer Joe Barnes of BreakFrame, Inc is a no-holds-barred, in-the-trenches shooting director and DP who takes his gear to extreme and adventurous locations. Recently for a short film, Hostile Environment Adventure Gear, which demonstrates military products and innovative outdoor adventure gear, Joe was off to shoot on Seward, Alaska’s Exit Glacier Overlook Trail, the shore of Resurrection Bay, and other mountainous terrains. “For this trek, we needed equipment that would stand up to the elements and the rigorous climbs,” says Barnes. “My selection of an efficient and lightweight camera package was extremely important”.

Executive Producer Eric Katzenberg (L) and cinematographer and DP Joe Barnes use Litepanels, Petrol Bags, Sachtler and OConnor Accessories to get the job done. Photo credit: John Deluca

“We chose a Canon 5D Mark III, EF Canon zooms, OConnor O-Focus and O-Box, Sachtler Video 18 S1 fluid head and tripod, a slider as well as Litepanels 1x1 Bi-Color LED fixtures powered by Anton Bauer Hytron 140s,” he explains.

“Bringing both a tripod and slider gave us the opportunity to create the appropriate and exhilarating shots we desired for each set up. I needed a head that was lightweight to keep up with the extreme terrain and hiking, while maintaining a wide payload range for balancing quickly with either the tripod or slider. The lightweight design of the Sachtler 18 S1 was beneficial.

“We hiked up Exit Glacier carrying all our gear and spent an entire day on the glacier, setting up scenes in several locations, each requiring a significant hike to the next setup,” he recalls. “We were often switching from slider to tripod. The head made the transition effortless because of the ability to quickly reconfigure and rebalance our equipment. This was especially crucial with the frequent repositioning of the PIX 240 digital recorder and the Alphatron EVF viewfinder, primarily when our executive producer and clients wanted to watch the shot as it was being recorded. Sachtler’s nearly five-inch balance/slide plate gave me the ability to reconfigure and balance quickly and effectively.”

Barnes recalls one standout slider shot where the actors run through a deep and treacherous canyon. “Using the Sachtler I was able to position the camera on the edge of the cliff,” he explains. “The benefit was the ability to tip the camera almost straight downward while moving left to right on the slider, moving with the talent. This made the shot exciting and creatively demonstrated depth and danger. The Sachtler Video 18 head helped me achieve shots like this – and set up the shots quickly.

“Speed of focus was also important to us,” he adds. “We had to keep the production moving. I’ve been using the OConnor O-Focus for a while and own both the ‘photo’ and ‘cine’ focus knobs. At the time of purchase, I wasn’t sure if I would ever use the cine knob because I primarily used Canon EF lenses. However on this job, I discovered a great use for the cine knob on my Canon still lenses. Because of the ratio, I was able to change deep focus quickly during the shot. Basically I used the cine knob to snap focus from near foreground objects to our actors farther away, running through the terrain.”

Some of the content Barnes shot was for online use, in-store advertising and trade shows, so the client wanted interviews of the actors regarding their experience with the outdoor gear they wore during the shoot. In order to light for interviews in Alaska’s wilderness, Joe needed portable and cableless lighting. “That’s why I took 1x1 Litepanels LEDs, my favorite battery powered solution for quick and versatile lighting set ups,” he says. “I used one for a fill light and the other as a mid-level kicker for separation from the forest background.”

Traveling to locations like this has always been a challenge for Barnes and crew. “As all owner-operators know, when you are traveling by air to location, one of the concerns is getting ALL your gear there and in working order, especially when facing layovers or airline changes,” says Barnes. “In an effort to prevent reclaiming my gear damaged, or waiting at the baggage claim for misplaced or lost road cases, I prefer to ‘carry-on’ my essential and fragile gear that includes camera body, external video recorder, lenses, laptop and external hard drives.

“Yes, it’s a lot of equipment to carry around, and with the ever-shrinking carry-on size restrictions, it’s a challenge and a backpack doesn’t cut it,” he adds. “I’ve tried many aircraft approved carry-on bags and cases and by the time I packed the gear in a travel safe manner, I had run out of room. When I packed up the Petrol DigiSuite – with minor reconfiguring of the foam dividers – I was able to fit and protect all my fragile gear in one bag and even had room for my mattebox and filters. I have finally found my air travel solution! Our gear is now safer and faster to access which gives us more time to focus on the creative work.”

Eric Katzenberg, President of 629 Productions and Executive Producer of Hostile Environment Adventure Gear agrees, “Over three intense days climbing mountains, crossing rivers and hiking glaciers, the Petrol Bags never let us down. Through rain, sleet, high winds and a small avalanche, our camera gear was perfectly protected and ready when we needed it. Because there is no room for error when moving production equipment through the extreme environments we often shoot in, Petrol Bags will always be essential equipment for my team, whether shooting in villages in Afghanistan or a bar in Albuquerque.”

Hostile Environment Adventure Gear was produced for several clients, each with different needs and uses – broadcast TV commercials, Internet advertising and in-store marketing and trade shows.

For more product information contact: The Vitec Group, 16 Progress Drive, Shelton CT 06484, Email: info.videocomamericas@vitecgroup.com

About Litepanels
Litepanels was founded in 2001 by 5 professional gaffers and engineers who saw the future and pioneered LED (light emitting diode) lighting for motion pictures, television and the audio-visual industry. Their Emmy® award-winning technology has now been used on thousands of productions worldwide and is trusted by the world’s leading broadcast organizations.

Backed by the Vitec Group’s legacy of 100+ years in the broadcast and production industry, Litepanels continues to expand its suite of flicker free, color accurate, fully-dimmable soft lights that talent and Lighting Directors admire. These environmentally friendly fixtures practically pay for themselves with power savings and long life, setting a new standard in professional lighting. Along with other leading brands in the broadcast and professional videographer industry, Litepanels is part of Vitec Videocom, a Vitec Group company. For more information on Litepanels, visit http://www.litepanels.com

About OConnor
OConnor has been the choice of professional cinematographers since the invention of the fluid head 60 years ago by founder Chad O’Connor. OConnor’s award-winning fluid heads are known for their smooth feel, fluid movement and intuitive control. Designed for film-style shooting, each facilitates seamless transition when changing payloads and offers stepless, ultra-smooth pan & tilt fluid drag for maximum control. In addition to fluid heads and tripods, OConnor offers a growing line of camera and lens accessories engineered to fill the needs of today’s fast-paced camera work. The line includes the CFF-1 and new O-Focus DM follow focus systems for cine and still photo lenses, the award-winning O-Box WM mattebox, innovative O-Grip handgrip system and the Universal Baseplate. OConnor products are respected and trusted by individual users and rental houses worldwide for their reliability, longevity and toughness.

Along with other leading brands in the broadcast industry, OConnor is part of the Vitec Videocom, a Vitec Group company. For more information on OConnor, visit http://www.ocon.com

About Petrol Bags
Petrol Bags is a leading producer of professional carrying bags and accessories for portable cameras, lighting, audio, support and other production equipment. The Petrol Bags product family encompasses a full line of highly protective, versatile, adaptable and extremely portable bags, backpacks, cases, and accessories. Petrol Bags works closely with industry professionals to create carrying systems designed for safe transport as well as quick and easy access on location.

Along with other leading brands in the broadcast and professional videographer industry, Petrol Bags is part of Vitec Videocom, a Vitec Group company. For more information on Petrol Bags, visit http://www.petrolbags.com

About Sachtler
Sachtler, founded in 1958 by cameraman Wendelin Sachtler, is a worldwide market leader for professional camera support systems for cinematography and television production, its name a symbol of top quality and reliability for decades. With an extensive range of camera support systems as well as a finely modulated product line of reportage lighting, Sachtler is the highly qualified partner for broadcast and film applications. Since 2000 Sachtler has been offering the artemis modular camera stabilizer system. With its numerous workshops and training sessions, the Wendelin Sachtler Academy has become a top address worldwide for invaluable know-how and the exchange of information, creating the ideal international platform for creative talents. Along with other leading brands in the broadcast and professional videographer industry, Sachtler is part of Vitec Videocom, a Vitec Group company. For more information on Sachtler, visit http://www.sachtler.com

About Vitec Videocom
Vitec Videocom brings together some of the most respected, most innovative and most sought-after brands in the industry: Anton/Bauer, Autoscript, Camera Corps, Litepanels, OConnor, Petrol Bags, Sachtler, Vinten and Vinten Radamec. It acts as an endorsing brand for these market-leading broadcast, film and pro video products, encouraging multi-brand system sales and simplifying the way that customers worldwide do business.

Vitec Videocom is an operating division within the Vitec Group, an international business serving customers in the broadcast, photographic and military aerospace and government markets. Vitec is based on strong, well known, premium brands on which its customers rely on worldwide.

Vitec Videocom – advancing the quality and science of media production.

###

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]