FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lightweight, portable media storage

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Prange
Lightweight, portable media storage
on Aug 13, 2013 at 1:58:04 pm

I’m an in-house and one-man-band media producer in a corporate office. I shoot using a Panasonic AG-HMC150, recording on 32GB SDHC cards. Once finished with a card, I copy the file structure to both a MacBook Pro (2010 model) and a LaCie Rugged portable Firewire 800 hard drive. When I get back to the office, I then transfer the files to my MacPro (2010 model) where I do my editing. The workflow works well and I have several copies of the original files while I’m traveling.

However, I’m tiring of lugging the MacBook Pro in addition to my camera through airports and on location. A tablet would be much easier to carry, but with a maximum of 64GB of storage they would not have the capacity to hold two SDHC cards. I would like to find a tablet or a very lightweight laptop with an SDHC card slot and a USB 3 or other high speed data port for connecting an external hard drive.

Since I’m only interested in copying files, I am not concerned with Mac vs. PC. Either one will do.

Any thoughts? What solutions do you all use?

Kevin Prange
NAED, St. Louis, MO

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Lightweight, portable media storage
on Aug 13, 2013 at 7:10:33 pm

If you want to off-load the media in the field you need the laptop right?

The HPX series panny's will off-load from camera to USB drive, no comp. needed. Don't think the HCM does that.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Lightweight, portable media storage
on Aug 28, 2013 at 3:48:30 pm

Take a look at these guys, they may have what you our looking for. not sure if the prices are in your budget but they basically do what you are looking for.

http://www.nextodiusa.com/video2.html

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]