FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would opting out of the retina-display option in a new Apple Macbook Pro be a wise choice in building a video data wrangling kit for production?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Would opting out of the retina-display option in a new Apple Macbook Pro be a wise choice in building a video data wrangling kit for production?
on May 31, 2013 at 8:22:50 am

I'm putting together a data wrangling kit for in the field backup and previewing of high definition consumer and broadcast quality video footage and some 2k footage as well occasionally.

I'm not certain though it seems going down the mac route is probably the best choice on the basis of convention because wrangling laptops seem to ALWAYS be macs and also because of familiarity for our wranglers. It used to be for software's sake too though nowadays most of the applications that are useful are windows and mac based.

Anyway for the most part the laptop will just serve to facilitate copying from card based media to hard drives but it will need to serve as a means of previewing material in the format at which it comes off the camera. I've heard that the retina display puts a burden upon the processor and to a small extent the GPU of the device because of the scaling required for a small display and also that there doesn't appear to be a no scaling option within the MBP's OS. It'd be nice for the screen to display good images for people in the field to get the best representation of the images they get as possible so if a retina display facilitates this in any way it could be a good thing, however it's not absolutely as critical as the footage playing back smoothly for quick reference. Would opting for retina display adversely affect the video playback performance of the device, in particular with highly compressed formats? Would opting for a non-retina display eliminate any such adverse effects?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]