FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shopping for small recorder

COW Forums : Audio Engineering

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Carlson
Shopping for small recorder
on Jul 5, 2020 at 7:50:42 pm

Hi,

This may have been a post years ago, and there are different options now.
I'm shopping for a very small recorder--like an Olympus voice recorder--to use with a lav as a back up recorder for shooting weddings. I've used the Olympus ones a lot, but they weren't mine and I don't know the models.

My question is if anyone has any suggestions for recorder/mic combination. There seem to be such a wide range of price for those voice recorders.

I know a lot of wedding guys are using the Tascam DR-10 recorder/mic https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1281085-REG/tascam_dr_10l_mini_porta...

...but I wondered what I'd be missing with a $40ish recorder w/same mic?

By the way, I know all these recorders aren't the BEST solution. There's just a reality in the wedding world that there isn't a lot of money to work with, and mics get destroyed and abused with the drunken crazy wedding people, so I don't like leaving my good stuff pinned on them.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Shopping for small recorder
on Jul 6, 2020 at 1:10:43 am

Hello Kevin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

It's been a while since I needed a cheap, small voice recorder.

Please look at this list and see if there's anything that appeals to you.

https://bhpho.to/31MHgvj

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Kevin Carlson
on Jul 6, 2020 at 9:55:26 pm

Thanks Ty,
I appreciate the reply. I've been looking at them on B&H, but the question is what would I be missing if I got a $40 option instead of one that's $100 or $180? Assuming all the options can input the same lav...

If no one has suggestions, I guess I'll just have to pour through the specs for each one.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 6, 2020 at 11:17:47 pm

$40? that's pretty cheap. I did look into this a few years ago and got a Philips Voice Tracer DVT1400 with wav support. That's the best option for that price that I know as it came with a mic input, free lav and decent sound. The sound will be about ENG level and you will need to use auto noise removal in post as the preamps are a little noisy, but its high enough quality if you know what ENG quality is. Anything more expensive will have better preamps and more inputs for mics. But in the sound world, you get what you pay for (except Sony stuff, they charge 2x, lol)

Return to posts index

Kevin Carlson
on Jul 7, 2020 at 2:38:00 pm

Thanks Chris, that's the kinda info I'm looking for. Do you know if that particular recorder uses lavs wired like 3.5mm Sennheiser and Tram, or like 3.5mm Sony?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2020 at 4:19:08 pm

from my understanding, Tram and Lectrosonics sometimes uses backwards wiring using pin 1(depending on the year it was made), so I would say in general, philips is wired like sony and is compatible with other recorders and computers using the more global wiring standard.(if that's the correct way to put it)

if you want to find out how your Tram is wired:
https://www.trammicrophones.com/sale/general/bias.asp

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 6, 2020 at 4:30:44 am

try to find one that can record .wav. They are so much higher quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]