FORUMS: list search recent posts

Powering AVX transmitter with USB

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Daren
Powering AVX transmitter with USB
on Jun 19, 2020 at 10:39:56 am
Last Edited By John Daren on Jun 19, 2020 at 10:57:24 am

I wonder if anyone can help me here? I just bought a Sennheiser AVX system. Transmitter and receiver pair quickly, but when I plug the mini USB into the transmitter, the unit turns off, and pairing is lost. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
Ok, I think I know why this is, it's just the receiver which can be powered by USB while in use.

I do have another question though, after charging the transmitter, the battery shows full for a couple of seconds before dropping down to 2/3rds. Which indication should I use?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Powering AVX transmitter with USB
on Jun 20, 2020 at 12:53:04 am

Hello John and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You've got the first one worked out.

On the second one, my guess would be the lower charge. Try keeping it on the charger longer and see if you can get the charge state higher. Also remember that as rechargeable batteries age, they can't hold the full charge.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

John Daren
on Jun 20, 2020 at 1:39:19 pm

Thanks Ty, it seems that's right.

The system sounds great on voice, but I'm getting strange distortion when I try recording musical sounds. There's plenty of headroom, no clipping

Here's a test going through the Metric Halo pre amp

And a test recording through an Olympus LS-P2

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 20, 2020 at 3:26:25 pm

Hello John,

Love the Melodica! I have a friend here who can play his so it sounds very much like an accordion.

I hear an unpleasant edge around the Metric Halo recording.

The Olympus recording sounds much cleaner and more natural.

Are they both through the AVX system?

Your files are mp3. That's a scalable, compressed format. Are both files at the same kbps, like 128, 256 or whatever?

Can you record 24-bit WAV files?

Due to the relative complexity of the melodica, perhaps the compression is munging up the sound.

Oh and AVX does it's own data compression just to get from the transmitter to the receiver.

Going back quite a few years, there were tests done determine the problems with compressed audio. While some "golden ears" could detect data compression artifacts with only one round through a system. It took others 2-3 trips.

Artifacts in Orchestral Strings were heard more quickly than others.

The AVX system was designed for voice. I think you and your melodica may have encountered the technical limitations of AVX. An analog wireless might do you better if you absolutely need to be wireless.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

John Daren
on Jun 22, 2020 at 10:25:56 am

Hi Ty, yes I think you're right, this is just the limitation of the mic. My original recordings were all 24 bit wavs, and it has the same sound. Thanks for all this info, very helpful! I'm going to return this mic, and look for something else. I'll probably go for a wired system, as its not imperative to have to transmit over the airwaves...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]