FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H4N pro - track lost on handheld but in the file on computer?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicole Wakeling
Zoom H4N pro - track lost on handheld but in the file on computer?
on Apr 16, 2020 at 9:07:49 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this has an obvious solution.

I work as a music therapist and use the H4Npro to record sessions with patients. I recently recorded a patient's improvisation (a one off, never to be repeated) which is going to then become part of a larger recorded improvised piece. I am recording in MTR mode and this track was recorded on track 1.

The first issue I had was that, when trying to record on track 2, track 1 was not playing back, so we couldn't hear what to play along to. The next thing that happened was, when trying to figure out why I wasn't hearing any playback, somehow track 1 got lost - I thought I had recorded over it, but when I put the SD card into the computer, track 1 is still there in tact, in the correct project folder in the MTR folder.

My questions to all you tech savvy wonder folk are a) how can I retrieve track 1 from the SD card on the H4N so that we can complete the group recording, and b) how can I get track 1 to playback so we can hear it to record along to?

Thank you very much! If you need any other details, please ask!

Kind regards
Nicole

Return to posts index

Lloyd Richards
Re: Zoom H4N pro - track lost on handheld but in the file on computer?
on Apr 17, 2020 at 7:41:44 am

Hey there,

I not too sure about this problem. Here are some things to consider:

Sounds stupid, but before doing any recording, do a simple take and playback, making sure your headphones are plugged in and working. And the mic is capturing the sound source clearly.

I know that there are two record modes with zoom's MTR. (Select menu > record mode and make sure you're on 'always new').

Remember to hit the stop button after recording. Rewind and play to hear recordings.

If you can get it working, an alternative would be, take the file off the recorder and playback via your laptop with headphones. whilst recording again on the zoom. Not exactly lightening fast workflow.

If you're going to be doing more of this in the future, I'd recomend a laptop and audio interface set up, for more control and once you master it, easier recordings and edits.

Return to posts index

Nicole Wakeling
Re: Zoom H4N pro - track lost on handheld but in the file on computer?
on Apr 18, 2020 at 7:11:43 am

Thanks for that. I had done all of the above. I managed to fix the problem in a very roundabout way by creating a new project and transferring the files from original track, though if I did a practice recording on the new project to see if I could hear it playing back during recording it only worked the first time then was silent during the second recording. Very strange indeed. Hey ho. I got there in the end. Laptop and A/I for next time. ☺ Thanks for your reply! ☺

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]